Eagles

/ Eagles #141  
Got to admit, when I first saw the thread title I thought it would be about music.

Probably my all time favorite rock band! The EAGLES!!!! (Football team, too)

/ Eagles
I see lots of turkeys around the woods by the river on our property. Then they disappear.

Is it true turkeys nest in trees?

MoKelly

No. They nest on the ground. They roost in trees.

20170526_113759.jpg

/ Eagles
I cant understand how the single hens protect their broods from predators living on the ground. Seem like easy victims. I mean turkeys are pretty tough as an adult, but if the group of 8 chicks is attacked and on the open ground.....

They might stand their ground with a small predator. But most times the Hen flees. Then comes back and clucks the survivors back together.

/ Eagles
I am envious of those with eagles to watch. Mostly owls, hawks, and buzzards here. Technically they are vultures but I rarely hear them called that.

Our favorite bird of prey to watch is the Harrier. They migrate here in the Fall and spend the Winter. I have 70 acres of CRP South of my house that we can see 75% of. In the mornings we'll have 5-8 Harriers feeding over it. They are extremely efficient birds. Prefer about 10mph steady breeze. They use it to stay aloft without having to flap their wings. Expert divers. They'll catch a field mouse out of the tall CRP. Carry it to our mowed yard area near our house and eat it. Gives them protection from predators on the ground as they can see any danger coming. I wish I had some better pics but I do not. Very hard to capture since they are constantly on the move.

DSC00355.JPG

DSC00357.JPG

/ Eagles
Got to admit, when I first saw the thread title I thought it would be about music.

Maybe we need to incorporate a couple Eagles Youtube Videos into the thread. Great band!!!

/ Eagles
Nice shots!

Thank you. One was sitting in our front yard eating a mouse this morning. About 50ft from our front window. When I tried to get a pic he saw me moving in the house and took his breakfast elsewhere. :)

/ Eagles #149  
   / Eagles #150  
So we have THE Eagles (rock band)
The predatory bird, the EAGLE
AND, the Philadelphia (football) Eagles

Ok, got it? GOOD! :laughing:

Oh, there’s a third Eagles? I’m sure someone will get them to change their name to the Philadelphia Football Team, so to not offend bird fans.

TBN just put an ad up for the rock Eagles, too funny.