TRUE tri-axle?

/ TRUE tri-axle? #31  
Have you looked at a roll off unit like for dumpster hauling? Likely hard to find one not beat to death though. Or maybe outfitting one of those tandem chassis with a dumping flatbed and a winch to pull the spreader unit on.

/ TRUE tri-axle?
Have you looked at a roll off unit like for dumpster hauling? Likely hard to find one not beat to death though. Or maybe outfitting one of those tandem chassis with a dumping flatbed and a winch to pull the spreader unit on.

Yes I am always on the hunt for a good 6x6. I found a great deal on a new one. Dealer ordered 6 very nicely speced IH 6x6s for Keystone XL Pipeline contractor. He went belly up 10 days ago for obvious reasons. Dealer took a bath on the trucks. Sold 3 to a potatoes farmer in Maine. Has 2 left. Will make me a heck of a deal, but were still talking $130,000 :laughing:
But yes, a 24’ dumping flatbed is the plan.....

Last edited:
   / TRUE tri-axle? #33  
Yes I am always on the hunt for a good 6x6. I found a great deal on a new one. Dealer ordered 6 very nicely speced IH 6x6s for Keystone XL Pipeline contractor. He went belly up 10 days ago for obvious reasons. Dealer took a bath on the trucks. Sold 3 to a farmer in Maine. Has 2 left. Will make me a heck of a deal, but were still talking $130,000 :laughing:
But yes, a 24 dumping flatbed is the plan.....

My buddy has a Auto car all wheel drive and just spent 4k on a front axle shaft/u joint assembly AND the last snow storm smoked the output bearing on the t case.........

/ TRUE tri-axle?
My buddy has a Auto car all wheel drive and just spent 4k on a front axle shaft/u joint assembly AND the last snow storm smoked the output bearing on the t case.........

Hah, I lost the output bearing on my 4800s T case about 10 years ago. Wasnt too bad....
The one expense that surprised me was ball joints. MAN they were expensive. Had to be heated and beaten out.
I found a nicely speced 2000 Freightliner 112 6x6 370hp ISM and Allison HD with retarder, but they want a LOT for it. I swear pre-emissions trucks have gone up 25-40% in last 3 years. Nobody wants to replace sensors on the newer ones.
I am in negotiations with a very large property owner on about 100 acres of hay. If it happens, I will pick up another used big square baler and a 6x.

/ TRUE tri-axle? #35  
Did you look at the other pictures? Looks like a driveshaft was removed. Wondered why

There are a few true tri’s out there. Military has them, too. Always wondered how the front-most axle survives the stress of full lock turns!

Lot of truck for the money
I keep wondering too, when i see North American dumptrucks with 7 rigid axles and one steer. Here in Holland most dumptrucks have only one rigid axle and up to four steer axles, all of them driven.

The older trucks in this video are 10x8 with a steered lift axle in the middle, lifted when going offroad to keep all weight on driven tires. The newer has its 3rd axle fixed, and 1,2 and 4 and 5 steered. Its on supersingle tires to save weight and to have less resistance in soft terrain because all tires run in the same track.

/ TRUE tri-axle? #36  
Hello Haydude,The tri axle tractor unit is a tandem drive lazy pusher axle setup. On that short wheelbase you should expect plenty of understeer on road and off road in slippery conditions will be very difficult to turn when loaded.
Also the lazy axle can tear a lot of stone out of bitumen roads on tight corners, espesially on hot days. A true tri drive tri axle however, did a lot less pavement damage acording to the drivers. On log trucks on wet skid sites a tri drive can get out without the bulldozer assist a tandem drive unit at the same weight would need.

As for bodies on a 6x6, would a tipping flat deck with removable bin and twistlock V fert body to the flatdeck work for you?

/ TRUE tri-axle?
Hello Haydude,The tri axle tractor unit is a tandem drive lazy pusher axle setup. On that short wheelbase you should expect plenty of understeer on road and off road in slippery conditions will be very difficult to turn when loaded.
Also the lazy axle can tear a lot of stone out of bitumen roads on tight corners, espesially on hot days. A true tri drive tri axle however, did a lot less pavement damage acording to the drivers. On log trucks on wet skid sites a tri drive can get out without the bulldozer assist a tandem drive unit at the same weight would need.

As for bodies on a 6x6, would a tipping flat deck with removable bin and twistlock V fert body to the flatdeck work for you?
Yes that would be my ultimate set up if funds were no object. Most (not all) used 6x6’s are beaten to death. New ones are $140,000 with dumping platform, which at less than double the price, seems like a bargain compared to a small $80k diesel pickup.
A tilting 24’ (7.5-8 meters) allowing hauling of my big square bales locally. With a bulkhead mounted winch, it could pull an empty V-box spreader up onto it for spreading compost or lime, then drive across fields without getting stuck.
I am an “over the road“ (OTR) farmer, farming more like Europeans where and fast mobility to and from different parcels means more productivity and profits.
Yields from timely fertilizing pays better, but sometimes you have to invest heavily up front to pay off the investment.
Its a process.
The truck below in a 6x6 configuration and longer V box would be my goal, but semi-permanent on a flatbed, so it can be removed to haul hay. However, I think that V box can only spread pelletized material, not compost. That truck is $30,000.
Another option is a rollback type bed???? Now we are really spending some $$

Attachments

• FB756234-1CEF-4E81-90B9-6A69A6608F68.jpeg
    FB756234-1CEF-4E81-90B9-6A69A6608F68.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
   / TRUE tri-axle?
I keep wondering too, when i see North American dumptrucks with 7 rigid axles and one steer. Here in Holland most dumptrucks have only one rigid axle and up to four steer axles, all of them driven.

The older trucks in this video are 10x8 with a steered lift axle in the middle, lifted when going offroad to keep all weight on driven tires. The newer has its 3rd axle fixed, and 1,2 and 4 and 5 steered. Its on supersingle tires to save weight and to have less resistance in soft terrain because all tires run in the same track.
Could be because you have much older/smaller streets and intersections requiring trucks that can turn tighter, hence more steer axles.
Some of my friends in Europe make me jealous with what they have :cool:
I will see a Scania truck here and there, but most of the really nice European equipment is kept to a minimum here including, but not limited to, JCB Fast Tracs, Scania trucks and especially Aebi Tractors to name a few....
I think those companies could make it big here.
Other things like the use of front 3 point hitches & front PTOs, air brakes on tractors and pulled equipment, and side shift backhoe stabilizers also now getting established here. They were used for decades in Europe before much use here.

/ TRUE tri-axle? #39  
Yes that would be my ultimate set up if funds were no object. Most (not all) used 6x6’s are beaten to death. New ones are $140,000 with dumping platform, which at less than double the price, seems like a bargain compared to a small $80k diesel pickup.
A tilting 24’ (7.5-8 meters) allowing hauling of my big square bales locally. With a bulkhead mounted winch, it could pull an empty V-box spreader up onto it for spreading compost or lime, then drive across fields without getting stuck.
I am an “over the road“ (OTR) farmer, farming more like Europeans where and fast mobility to and from different parcels means more productivity and profits.
Yields from timely fertilizing pays better, but sometimes you have to invest heavily up front to pay off the investment.
Its a process.
The truck below in a 6x6 configuration and longer V box would be my goal, but semi-permanent on a flatbed, so it can be removed to haul hay. However, I think that V box can only spread pelletized material, not compost. That truck is $30,000.
Another option is a rollback type bed???? Now we are really spending some $$
IMO you need something like the Kuhn Knight truck mounted spreader:
View attachment 688198
Or for the old school look:
View attachment 688199

Other things like the use of front 3 point hitches & front PTOs, air brakes on tractors and pulled equipment, and side shift backhoe stabilizers also now getting established here. They were used for decades in Europe before much use here.
Front PTOs and 3 point hitches are getting big in the orchard industry, then they can take a heavy flail and run it on the front to shred the trimmed branches in place without having to run them over first.

Aaron Z

/ TRUE tri-axle?
That spreader truck would get stuck REAL easy. I like the IH 4x4 6x6 with flotations better.
The Pete? Wow...but I do have a budget....
Side slinger is not my favorit, either
IMO you need something like the Kuhn Knight truck mounted spreader:
View attachment 688198
Or for the old school look:
View attachment 688199

Front PTOs and 3 point hitches are getting big in the orchard industry, then they can take a heavy flail and run it on the front to shred the trimmed branches in place without having to run them over first.

Aaron Z
This is what I use now

Attachments

• 1B0FA0BC-9543-4A47-B0B6-86F836E9B0B7.jpeg
    1B0FA0BC-9543-4A47-B0B6-86F836E9B0B7.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 81