Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet.

/ Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet. #11  
This is the style I’m thinking. The duel lid seems useful but not for raking.

View attachment 686112

But then again the longer tine bottom would allow you to see what you digging into.

I’d rather have the long bottom. The rake style would have to suffer picking up pretty much anything over a long bottom.

/ Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet. #12  
You may have already read this and looked at their models, but in case you haven't,

Tractor Grapples, Root Grapples, Root Rake Grapples, Scrap Grapples or Grapple Buckets.

/ Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet. #13  
I spent a long time trying to decide on the "type" of grapple. Basically, you have rock & root and then brush. What you have pictured, HersheyFarm, is the rock & root type. That's what I ended up getting. Land Pride SGC1560 - 60" wide - 820#. Had it now for seven years and it's still in pristine condition.

I control mine with a WR Long 3rd function valve. Backdraging to level - digging out and moving large rocks - moving large sections of pine tree trunk - cleaning up brush.

Do yourself a favor. Get your grill guard modified to protect your grill, radiator & battery from sticks, stobs, limbs etc.

View attachment 686172View attachment 686173

/ Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet. #14  
I spent a long time trying to decide on the "type" of grapple. Basically, you have rock & root and then brush. What you have pictured, HersheyFarm, is the rock & root type. That's what I ended up getting. Land Pride SGC1560 - 60" wide - 820#. Had it now for seven years and it's still in pristine condition.

I control mine with a WR Long 3rd function valve. Backdraging to level - digging out and moving large rocks - moving large sections of pine tree trunk - cleaning up brush.

Do yourself a favor. Get your grill guard modified to protect your grill, radiator & battery from sticks, stobs, limbs etc.

View attachment 686172View attachment 686173

He’s putting it on a skid steer but tractor brush guards definitely leave room for improvement. Here’s mine I built. IMG_8039.JPG

/ Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet. #15  
This is the style I知 thinking. The duel lid seems useful but not for raking.

View attachment 686112

But then again the longer tine bottom would allow you to see what you digging into.

Might consider this style with the longer replaceable tines if you will be moving lots of brush. Seems like a guy could make up some short ones and then have the grubbing ability to.

https://www.ati-corporation.com/img/content/loader-attachments/gallery-grapples-02.jpg

Grapple Attachments, Grapple Kits, ATI Corporation

/ Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet. #16  
I have a 84" rock/root style and like it. Great for grabbing trees and big stuff and rooting in the dirt, but also really nice for putting out mulch. Gives pretty good control over how much you grab and then spread around. Another thing is the rock/root style are usually heavier built - I have not managed to tear mine up yet or even bend it a little.

/ Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet. #17  
I wouldn't recommend going with anything other than EA Attachments. They've got a couple videos of their wicked root rake grapple on their SVL I do believe.

/ Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet. #18  
Nice addition to your brush guard - 4570Man. That will deflect the brush - and all elephants. WoW!!!

/ Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet. #19  
This is the style I知 thinking. The duel lid seems useful but not for raking.

View attachment 686112

Something to consider when using the lid for back-dragging is: does it have mechanical stops or are the hydraulic cylinders the only thing keeping the lid from over extending over the top/back of the grapple? (have seen how hydraulic cylinders/valves react to unexpected shock loads and I doubt it's a good thing for either - even with over pressure relief valves doing their thing)

....and in general I think I'd go with that style for a skid steer simply because a skid steer can twist/turn putting some pretty strong side loads on an implement.

As was said elsewhere in the thread any grapple is better than no grapple, but from what I've experienced there is no universal "best" grapple only the grapple most suitable for your applications ..... or at least that's what I tell myself in order to justify having multiple types of grapples :D ...my current ones are Danuser Intimidator which is great for removing vertical objects like trees & posts, and a single-lid EA brush/L-bottom grapple which is great for grabbing large volumes of horizontal material and some surface raking --I prefer using my box blade tines for heavier ground engagement & root removal.

However, if I was using the grapple for digging through the ground a lot I'd likely get one of that style just to minimize the surface area dragging through the ground..... and likely one that has mechanical stops built into the frame.

Anyway just my :2cents:

/ Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet. #20  
No matter which style you choose, you will find times the other style would have worked better.

I have a dual lid 60" MTL RK5 grapple that is built plenty strong and a great value. The RK5 has a solid back that reduces the need for a grill guard. It also provides the ability to use it for some forward grading. There are times I wish I had a 48" single lid with shorter bottom tines but not often.

I think 60" should be plenty for most uses. Wider would not be my first choice, especially in the woods.

If you can afford it then I suggest you buy two different design grapples. Some of the budget grapples are plenty strong so two for the price of one can be an option.