Buying New | KX-033 vs. KX-040 | Compact Excavator

/ Buying New | KX-033 vs. KX-040 | Compact Excavator #1  

killingitcountry

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
Hello everyone,

As the thread title says - I'm bringing home one of these two machines brand new this spring. Does anyone have any experience with either machine? Both machines? The 6-way blade on the 040 is attractive but the 033 has a non-DOC/DPF Tier 4 engine which I like. Avoiding the DP filter and associated emissions equipment would be an advantage, no? Or should I just get the most machine I can afford and hope the emissions stuff isn't too much of a headache once the warranty is long gone? I have about 200' of french drain to put in, two armor stone sets of stairs (back and front of house), small retaining walls, general landscaping/gardening ... paths throughout maintained grassy areas as well as about 5,000 feet of roadway through the untouched back-40 of my 50 acre property. I don't plan on having this all done fast ... just pick away at it.

I'm a few years out from this, but, I would love to eventually pick up a used tow rig and trailer and do small jobs to supplement my income. Would my desire to do this sway your machine recommendations?

Thanks everyone!!

James

/ Buying New | KX-033 vs. KX-040 | Compact Excavator #2  
Kubota KX-040 owner here. I’ve never even sat in the seat of the 33 but i don’t see any reason not to go with a 40. And get a hydraulic thumb. If you live in one of the nazi states that limits trailers to 10,000 pounds that can be a deciding factor. A 33 can be moved like that but a 40 can’t.

/ Buying New | KX-033 vs. KX-040 | Compact Excavator
Thanks! This seems to be the advice I am getting from all directions. Whatever I decide I'll be getting the quick coupler, 24" bucket, thumb, radio, hydraulic coupler kit, 36" hydraulic tilt-ditch bucket with cut edge and a 12" bucket so I can leave the backhoe on the BX alone and never look back. Love my BX but it needs to be moved too often when trenching.

/ Buying New | KX-033 vs. KX-040 | Compact Excavator #4  
I have a quick attach bucket on mine which is a must have. I have a 12”, 24” and 36” bucket on mine. I don’t have a tilt bucket but I could definitely see where one would be nice. I don’t currently have any straight edge buckets either but I’m probably going to have to get one or build an edge to slip on. You’re going to feel like you’re in heaven with either one of those machines compared to the BX.

/ Buying New | KX-033 vs. KX-040 | Compact Excavator #5  
I was like you when looking for a mini; I settled on the kx71 which is a 3 ton unit and fixed blade. I couldn't justify going up an extra 20k for the fancy blade and bigger machine. I also went open station cause that's what I like. Absolutely get a thumb and quick attach.

/ Buying New | KX-033 vs. KX-040 | Compact Excavator #6  
I was like you when looking for a mini; I settled on the kx71 which is a 3 ton unit and fixed blade. I couldn't justify going up an extra 20k for the fancy blade and bigger machine. I also went open station cause that's what I like. Absolutely get a thumb and quick attach.

A 6 way blade would probably be nice but the 4 way isn’t worth much. In its defense I’ve just had the machine since December. It might work better in the summer when everything isn’t mud.

A 6 way blade would probably be nice but the 4 way isn’t worth much. In its defense I’ve just had the machine since December. It might work better in the summer when everything isn’t mud.

I see myself in a KX-040GTA (6-way blade) ... I think I'll regret not having the extra HP and break-out force when I tie into a nasty tree root or rock.

/ Buying New | KX-033 vs. KX-040 | Compact Excavator #8  
Get as much machine as you’re comfortable spending. I’d pass on any extra feature before going without a thumb.

/ Buying New | KX-033 vs. KX-040 | Compact Excavator #9  
Get as much machine as you’re comfortable spending. I’d pass on any extra feature before going without a thumb.

Agreed. It literally doubles the usefulness of the machine.

I'm very excited for the hydraulic thumb. I have a mechanical thumb on the BX that you can set and pin in place .. but it's a pain in the butt.