Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved?

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #42  
If someone breaks into my home the last thiñg I'll do is warn them.
I agree. If the house alarm and barking (and biting) dogs didn't deter you, I am not taking the threat lightly and will be unleashing maximum threat "neutralization"!

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #43  
The universal sound for get the F out of my house at midnight...The sound of a 12G racking.... I have a 45C S&W as well as a 380 in the house at the ready...But a 12G...with buck shot...you don't need to be particularly accurate in the dark should the situation present itself.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #44  
There are many articles and data that show the all time best performer for stopping effectiveness is the .357 magnum. The best article I read years ago analyzed several Law enforcement records and the various calibers they all used and the .357 Magnum recorded the most perpetrators stopped with one shot over .38 special, 9mm, .40, .45 and even some other calibers.

I've always liked my .357 S&W revolvers and that was my first handgun, but I like my other firearms in .38Spl, .380, .40S&W and .45 too. :)

I don't like having a wheel gun around the house. Grand kids.

And kids, for soem reason, instinctively see a handgun and want to pull the trigger. I still have a Model 19 .357 6" barrel (K Frame). Wish I hadn't sold my 4'' Python. But I see them more as collectibles as opposed to being useful. That's just me.

I carry a G36.

The .357 is a good round with excellent stopping power. I just prefer an automatic. A child isn't gonna pull that slide back and chamber a round. No way.

Be safe.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #45  
The universal sound for get the F out of my house at midnight...The sound of a 12G racking.... I have a 45C S&W as well as a 380 in the house at the ready...But a 12G...with buck shot...you don't need to be particularly accurate in the dark should the situation present itself.
You should make a recording of that and sell it to alarm companies. ;)

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #46  
This thread made me remember, back a long time ago. I had a system that would mount a Mossberg 500,( less stock) to the underside of an AR. Kind of like to mimmick an M203.
Now, there's your perfect home defense weapon!

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #47  
Biggest myth. The shotgun patterns are very tight under 20yard. So have to still be somewhat on target. Dont believe everything you see from Hollywood.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #49  
I worry that "If you gotta ask".......

I prefer a .45 ACP round in the pistol of your choice. A 9mm won't always stop a bad guy and trying to explain to the Persecutor why you had to shoot some cracked-up tweaker 5 times probably won't be a lot of fun. Especially since he got confused on his way to Bible Class and entered your house accidentally after being chased by some people in white robes threatening to lynch him.

A .45 should take him off his feet. What we call, "Roll him"

On second thought.... A baseball bat is always a good choice.
Autopsy reveals he was struck 35 times. :oops: