Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved?

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #31  
Revolver. Wad cutters. Paint tips red so perp can watch his life threatening missile roll into place. No brass flopping around on the floor. Double action. Need to be able to step around a corner wall and capture the element of surprize. Long gun is too awkward, likely to get taken away at very close range. Operates one handed. Everybody has seen the movies. Practice the confrontation and you will know what to do and no-one will get hurt or die.
Outside, take their wallet / ID. Tell them to leave and pick it up at the police post or sheriff' office. You'll never see them again and they tell their 'friends' to beware and stay away.
Works every time. Plus you need to 'set one off' occasionally so you train your neighbors and curiosity seekers to move-on.

You need to have several tools around the property because you won't be expecting trouble when it arrives. Hard to have them wait while you retrieve your piece.
No piece, no peace.
More good points I didn't list.

I like your thinking on telling them to leave their ID.

The last part is why you should ALWAYS be carrying or have multiple "stations".

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #32  
..that’s why we went with a revolver..in a fight or flight situation..(Home invasion)
Just pull the hammer back & letm fly..
Get a DA Revolver, then you can just simply squeeze the trigger. One action and done.

I have some single action pistols for Cowboy action shooting in .357Mag, if the invasion happened in day light when they would be visible and there was time, I think a pair of them facing a perp would really make them reconsider their career path. :)

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #33  
..There is NO best. Such a concept does not exist. There is only "best for you at that location under that circumstance."

Consider that if you had to shoot someone in your home, you will be giving up some of your hearing. And I mean forever. A suppressed 9MM pistol might be considered "best" from that standpoint. But not all states allow suppressors, though most do.
Totally agree with the first part.

Funny you mention suppressors. I have been considering get one (or more) for the last few years and in one of my emails this morning it mentioned this company. I really like their plan.

Hopefully it's allowed.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #34  
I have owned a HI Standard 9 shot .22 revolver for approximately 50 years
Have a simple .22 6 shot 4" bbl., registered and WAS all legal,
BUT Canada suddenly decided to ban 4" bbl so I now have to scrap it.
Bummer!
Was something I purchased for simple plinking many years back.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #35  
Bummer!
Hypothetically speaking, If one did not scrap it and was later found by the "authorities", what would be the fine?

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #36  
Totally agree with the first part.

Funny you mention suppressors. I have been considering get one (or more) for the last few years and in one of my emails this morning it mentioned this company. I really like their plan.

Hopefully it's allowed.
Currently 42 states allow suppressors. Texas is among them.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #37  
Bummer!
That really sucks. And all of a sudden, a law was passed that made you an instant criminal.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #39  
My Grandson likes 20 gauge shotgun or smaller, Also likes 9 mm hand gun ... I know there are a lot of different thoughts? I just thought I'd
Consult with the TBN group.

Thanks in advance.......You all stay HEALTHY & SAFE.......Coffeeman

I worry that "If you gotta ask".......

I prefer a .45 ACP round in the pistol of your choice. A 9mm won't always stop a bad guy and trying to explain to the Persecutor why you had to shoot some cracked-up tweaker 5 times probably won't be a lot of fun. Especially since he got confused on his way to Bible Class and entered your house accidentally after being chased by some people in white robes threatening to lynch him.

A .45 should take him off his feet. What we call, "Roll him"

On second thought.... A baseball bat is always a good choice.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #40  
..I prefer a .45 ACP round in the pistol of your choice. A 9mm won't always stop a bad guy and trying to explain to the Persecutor why you had to shoot some cracked-up tweaker 5 times probably won't be a lot of fun. Especially since he got confused on his way to Bible Class and entered your house accidentally after being chased by some people in white robes threatening to lynch him.

A .45 should take him off his feet. What we call, "Roll him"

On second thought.... A baseball bat is always a good choice.
There are many articles and data that show the all time best performer for stopping effectiveness is the .357 magnum. The best article I read years ago analyzed several Law enforcement records and the various calibers they all used and the .357 Magnum recorded the most perpetrators stopped with one shot over .38 special, 9mm, .40, .45 and even some other calibers.

I've always liked my .357 S&W revolvers and that was my first handgun, but I like my other firearms in .38Spl, .380, .40S&W and .45 too. :)