Cost to asphalt a gravel road?

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #11  
"Fly-by-night Co" was in the area late last year. What a joke...they did a neighbor and many others in the area. He pulled into my drive and asked if I wanted asphalt but wouldn't admit to doing the neighbor's drive. It looked like ok asphalt coming out of the truck but they just dumped it into piles until they could fix the paver. I thought you wanted it hot?
Oh....THAT will turn out to be a "nice" clump of mess!

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #12  
Around here, eastern PA, $4-6 a sq ft. That’s for binder later and top coat.

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #13  
Wow $50 plus per square yard

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #14  
We buy mix at work its around $65.00 a ton just for the mix....

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #15  
I gotta keep an eye on my wife!

Her apple didn't fall far from her father.

Years ago, her father was somewhere like the local Co-Op.... Some dude comes to him and says he's on hard times....would he (father in law) like to get a bargain on a diamond ring... (first flag should go up)... Oh, it IS a sparkly and pretty ring (keep in mind my wife at the time worked at a jewelry store and could get him anything with her discount)

Oh, the ring is worth ????..... but I'll let you have it for $400.

Father in law who was looking for coveralls or diesel or something in a different world.... goes & gets $400 and gives it to his girlfriend (wife had passed).

My Wife blew her stack. He's a "sucker for a bargain" (remember comment about apple not falling far from tree, we'll get there)
She pointedly told him she could have gotten him a much better ring for the same money.....then she tested....and of course it's a CZ so it's not even a diamond. She said they'd probably retail that for $125.... so he got royally screwed.

Fast forward a couple years, my wife calls me at work (so I can't talk & yak on phone with her) "OMG, Richard.... some guys drove up and offered to pave our driveway for us!!! They said they were paving a local job and had more material than they could use....would we like to have our driveway paved"

You could just TASTE her excitement over the phone (did she have thoughts of her Father's sucker-ism wafting in her head at this moment??? Nope)

In very blunt no-uncertain words, I told her the answer is an emphatic "NO" and furthermore, to tell those dudes in the truck that they're trespassing and to turn around and leave this very instant"

She started with the "but, but, but..." and was going to remind me what a DEAL it was....

Sigh.

Held my ground very sternly and they left. I still have a gravel driveway. If I ever did anything, I'd much rather drop concrete than asphalt.

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road?
Cheapest is not all ways the best. A good sound base is the key As well as proper drainage. Asphalt will not support it’s own weight and as I do not know your soil conditions or pricing of stone and asphalt hard to say. Locally six inches of stone if no soft spots if soft spots soft ball size stone to stabilize. $50 thousand dollars would be a ball park here depending on prep. Most state subdivision roads here have 8 inches of stone base and 2 inches of asphalt depending on traffic count. Hopefully this helps
I don't want cheapest. I want the most expensive asphalt job in the history of asphalt.

Then maybe my dipshi! neighbor will get his head out of his a$$ and this moronic idea will die stillborn.

Last edited:
   / Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #17  
My apologies for responding to your thread only trying to answer your question.

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road?
My apologies for responding to your thread only trying to answer your question.
No intent to hurt your feelings; it's possible you misinterpreted my point:

The more expensive the job, the less my DS neighbor will be able to afford to pave the gravel road I live on. I and most of our neighbors don't want it paved. We moved out to the country with unpaved roads for a reason. This DS moves out to the country and doesn't like living in the country, including living on a dirt road.

All the above, including post #16, is a long wind way of saying: Thank You!.

🍻

Last edited:
   / Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #19  
Wow $50 plus per square yard
Deluxe carpeting would only cost half as much with pad & tack-less.. :sneaky:

Without an established and prepared base, I'd count on garbage trucks, contractors, school buses, and snow plows to bust up the job's edges within a few years.

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #20  
I was also thinking 40k for the job. Maybe more if you do grading and they have to add some gravel.