Cost to asphalt a gravel road?

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road?
So a guy is on his way home and meets a propane truck head-on. 8' isn't very wide and unless somebody slips into another's d'way there's sure to be some abuse of the edges when going around anybody else. Shoulders that aren't prepped & packed are sure to be trouble spots in Springtime or rainy weather when thing are soft.

Good luck getting crazy neighbor to understand how quickly the job will go to s__ if trying to cheap out. Share a link to this thread with good neighbors, no membership required, and let our comments help them quash this folly.
There's a couple turnouts. Unless there's snow and ice on the road (like what happened last week) it isn't a problem.

I think most people still don't understand the problem here: I'm not looking to asphalt the gravel road; my know-it-all citiot neighbor wants to do it. All I'm trying to do is figure out about how much pain it's going to cost him; the greater the pain, the less likely it will happen.

And we haven't even started talking about how the paved road would be maintained - can't do that with an EA grader blade or land leveler.

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #42  
If your neighbor is so willing to spend your money, demand that it is done right. A driveway with propane service would demand a 12' minimum width with a strong base at least 13'- 14' wide. Shouldn't you need some sort of a guarantee that it will last? Is your neighbor planning on selling his place soon and wants a higher property value short term?

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #43  
Putting a single axle propane truck, on a "so - so" base driveway, with 2" asphalt surface, and the ground in a thaw cycle, is a guarantee for a destroyed asphalt driveway.

Propane trucks are also hard on concrete pads that aren’t done properly. I had a propane truck clip the corner of my “light duty ” 10x12 concrete pad and crack it (Didn’t notice it until way too late. Repair was to bust up remaining pad and repour properly.)

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #44  
It costs me right at $2500 to have a neighbor with a tandem dump truck spread my whole driveway and access road that length with good limestone rock. Then I can make it almost pavement smooth with my tractor.

I was also quoted about 50 grand by an asphalt contractor 15 years ago. I'm so glad I stayed with gravel/rock so I didn't have to worry when FedEx sent a fully loaded semi up to my house to make a delivery.

And I've watched those big garbage trucks destroy asphalt on a warm day. I hope you can get your neighbor to see it your way.

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #45  
8' isn't the width; it's an estimating number. 8', would you not agree, would be the lowest number used to estimate a price? Anything wider, the price goes up, yes? Which is good; the more expensive the project, the less chance it will happen.
And the wider the bed and shoulder would have to be prepped.

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #46  
We have a 12' wide x 4000' asphalt paved drive that came with our property in middle TN (45min N of the Haxel Green, AL). We repaired a 400' section with 3" thick asphalt for $10k. So $2.5/sqft for the paving.

I wasn't there when they paved, but they were done in 4hrs, so I'm guessing no prep or base work. Saw footprints in the compacted surface, but it did measure 3" thick. Called to complain, but got nowhere. 6 months after paving we built a shop that required 280 tons of gravel and 70 yds of concrete. The repaired section is broken up again. Did some drainage ditch work to try to keep water from getting under the base from hill above. I agree, the base is key. I thought i was getting base repaired, but i was wrong.

Check out all local paving companies with BBB. Chances are you'll find many bad complaints . My job came with a 5yr warranty, but i couldn't get them to come back out. I watched the drive compress under the 22t gravel trucks.

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #47  
I had my driveway paved about 15 years ago and a couple more inches added 2 years ago. It’s really nice and a huge improvement. I’m into cars so that makes it important to me, but it’s not a shared driveway. I’m assuming this is a shared road and he wants everyone to kick in? Seems shared private roads are always a problem.

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #48  
Anyone ever pave with pavers that allow the water to flow through? Might be a problem with plowing cuz you'd probably never get all pavers to stay same level.