Cost to asphalt a gravel road?

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #31  
So a guy is on his way home and meets a propane truck head-on. 8' isn't very wide and unless somebody slips into another's d'way there's sure to be some abuse of the edges when going around anybody else. Shoulders that aren't prepped & packed are sure to be trouble spots in Springtime or rainy weather when thing are soft.

Good luck getting crazy neighbor to understand how quickly the job will go to s__ if trying to cheap out. Share a link to this thread with good neighbors, no membership required, and let our comments help them quash this folly.

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #32  
Most car drivers can't stay on an 8' lane. I see driveways that width often, with wheel ruts in the dirt on each side.

Bruce

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #33  
Mine is about 600 feet long and closer to 10 feet wide, and that isn’t any to wide.

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #34  
I was also thinking 40k for the job. Maybe more if you do grading and they have to add some gravel.
That could easily be a 200K+ job, if using a proper base, proper (12') width, and two lifts of asphalt.

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #35  
OK, check my math:

5280/2 = 2640 ft. 2640' x 8' wide = 21,120 sq ft. 21,120 x $4 = $84,480.

Yes, YES!!! Excellent answer!
I dont think you are underestimating the width.

A 8' wide road isnt even wide enough for a dually truck.....let alone something like a propane truck.

12' around here is considered a narrow driveway.

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #36  
The cost to dig out all the organic material and build a proper base, so the ashphalt will last, would be significant. In addition to the paving!
My asphalt contract quoted a little over $2/ft installed. So my driveway, not nearly as long, is about $13k. But my excavator is pointing out all of the "alligatoring" in my existing (old) asphalt. He's telling me he needs to excavate and put down proper base or the same thing will happen with the new asphalt. I'm waiting for that quote ....

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #37  
You guys are scaring me. I have been adding fill to my driveway and I have a 250' long hour glass shaped upper drive with 85' wide at the upper house garages, 55 feet at the narrow part of the hour glass, and 120 wide at the far end of the driveway. Then I have a split to go around back to the lower garages that is 30' wide along the wall and opens to 110' from the 3 garage doors to the tree line and that is 50' wide.

I have the original asphalt up top that was 85' wide at the house ad dropped to 35' wide and went out to the far end. All the rest is now #2B, but I dream of a Walmart parking lot of asphalt out there. I may need to sell some vital organs to fund it!

I attached pic of the original driveway with my Kubota holding a rock in the bucket. That was 3 years ago. We have been taking fill like gangbusters for 3 years and made the driveway massive.

I need to take drone pictures for this year to show what we've done with clean fill for free. It is shocking. But now.... I am getting close to done and want to make it all homogenous with asphalt so that it looks "pretty" and plows easy. Plus my old dog hates the #2 limestone on her pads. She lips/tiptoes around it and looks at me with disgust.

Attachments

• 20181120_125110.jpg
    20181120_125110.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
  • 20201018_161325.jpg
    20201018_161325.jpg
    11.2 MB · Views: 133
  • 20210116_115623.jpg
    20210116_115623.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 134
  • 20210109_191254.jpg
    20210109_191254.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 124
   / Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #38  
....sigh. I guess my 1000 ft long driveway is never getting paved, lol. With naturally sandy soil, plenty of seat time on the tractor, and access to a dump trailer, I'm only a few grand into gravel and it's holding up well.

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road? #39  

A 8' wide road isnt even wide enough for a dually truck.....let alone something like a propane truck.

Putting a single axle propane truck, on a "so - so" base driveway, with 2" asphalt surface, and the ground in a thaw cycle, is a guarantee for a destroyed asphalt driveway.

/ Cost to asphalt a gravel road?

8' isn't the width; it's an estimating number. 8', would you not agree, would be the lowest number used to estimate a price? Anything wider, the price goes up, yes? Which is good; the more expensive the project, the less chance it will happen.