Choosing attachments for L4701, looking for suggestions.

/ Choosing attachments for L4701, looking for suggestions. #11  
Definitely get pallet forks I have a set rated at 4K one of the most handiest implements to have... I also have the BH 92 it’s very handy as well !!!
I have the same BH. Use it almost every time I use the tractor because i'm constantly diggin tree stumps.

When it goes into regen, i crank it up even farther and go find a huge stump. The controls are kinda twitchy at pto rpms!

/ Choosing attachments for L4701, looking for suggestions.
Rotary Mower - Woods 72" BB72.3 or Titan Implements 72" 1406 or EA 72" Xtreme Duty
I would love to hear some feedback on rotary cutters. I don't have tons of saplings to cut but I do let things get pretty high and thick before mowing.

/ Choosing attachments for L4701, looking for suggestions. #14  
If you buy a Rotary Cutter too light it will visit the dealer yearly for $600 repair.
NEW Rotary Cutters cut everything at first. As the light blades dull a light cutter undergoes increasing stress.

60" Rotary Cutters:

400 pounds = light duty = grass only.

600 pounds = medium duty = grass and ocasional light brush, perhaps to 1"

1,000 pounds = heavy duty = mostly brush, even dense brush and saplings to 2".

Heavy brush inevitably dulls the heavy blades so does not cut grass as nice as a Rotary Cutter used only for grass but will continue to chop brush. Splayed brush cut by rounded blades dies more surely than evenly cut brush cut by sharp blades. Most who cut considerable brush sharpen heavy blades at two to three year intervals.

I cut 3" hardwood saplings like Hickory with a chain saw. I knock down softwood 3" saplings with a Ratchet Rake on the bucket, before mulching them on the ground with a 1,000 pound Land Pride RCR2660 Rotary Cutter.

Last edited:
   / Choosing attachments for L4701, looking for suggestions. #15  
I would love to hear some feedback on rotary cutters. I don't have tons of saplings to cut but I do let things get pretty high and thick before mowing.
My medium duty landpride rotary cutter does just fine on a field I cut only once a year. By the time I cut it late in the fall, it is filled with saplings 4-5' tall. As long as you have the minimum guidline of 5 PTO HP per foot of rotary cutter, you're probably fine. In my case I have significantly more HP/foot, and I had to go really slow last year, but I was making up for prior work on the field which was substandard (the previous cutter wasn't able to deal with all the saplings very well).

/ Choosing attachments for L4701, looking for suggestions. #16  
Other rotary cutter thoughts. I spent extra for the slip clutch. The guys who used to work the field would go through a LOT of sheer bolts, and I really deslike dealing with those. I'm happy with my decision, basically I never have to stop what I'm doing in the field.

I'm also glad I bought a medium duty cutter, because with the rocks and whatnot I get into (for example, using my cutter to cut down saplings growing in the forest on my trails), I definitely put some surprise dents in the shell of the cutter. You know those horror movies where there's some ghost in the wall of a house and you see the imprint of a face in the wallpaper? Well, that's what my cutter shell looks like with what happened with some rocks.

The only thing I'm not happy about with my Landpride RCF2072 is the blades. I think they were more grass oriented 'lift' blades, and they were in awful shape for one year of use. I'm not talking about just the edge of the blade, they're also too thin. I only expect to get one more season out of them, and that isn't right.

/ Choosing attachments for L4701, looking for suggestions. #17  
If you are going to renovate your pasture, FIRST GET A SOIL TEST. Ask for soil test recommendations for whatever type of pasture grass you intend to plant.

You can likely find a 2 X 12" or 2 X 14" used moldboard plow for $400. Plowing once a decade improves soil fertility at low cost.

A Disc Harrow traditionally follows the plow. Disc Harrow is the implement of choice for mixing soil and smoothing/leveling land over five acres in size.

Monroe/Tufline produces Big Ag spec equipment sized for compact tractors.

LINK: Disc Harrow - TANDEM LIFT DISC HAROW, Monroe Tufline 18/20", TH971820B, REVIEW

When your L4701 arrives post the outside to outside width of your tires so we can recommend optimum width implements.

Consider if Pallet Forks will not serve in lieu of a grapple. One heck of a lot simpler and probably very useful to you for moving gear besides treee debris.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_192.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_192.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 518

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_196.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_196.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 430

Mold board plowing and discing activities have been old school for 35+ years. The higher amount of erosion and major effects on grade for irrigation have put these practices on very limited usage tools/implements.
They still have a function, related to long term no usage ground (10+ years of no crop). I live in a farming area (cotton, soybeans, corn, rice and others). I do not know when I have seen a mold plow used. Last time I saw a disc used, they were preparing for a land plane to move soul from high spots to low spots (water holes)
By wanting a subsoiler, I assume you have water holes in your pasture.
2 items here—be sure the subsoiler you get is rated to handle the hp of your tractor higher ho rated one typically have a shear pin.
I would recommend several passes about 18” apart to drain a standing water issue.
A box blade is useful to level ground and to move relatively small high spots of soil to low spots. Patience is the name of the game however, it will take time to learn to use it if you don’t already possess those skills. Also one pass or perhaps 2 dozens passes may not get the job done. Also do not be surprised if you believe you have it level and the next rain proves you wrong.
A disc can be used to break up the ground to assist in moving it. But most box blades come with ‘scarifiers’ (ripping teeth) that will break up soil pretty much the width of the box blade.
It is up to you do do your research (take comments and decide what you think you will need) the more detail you provide for your perceived needs allows for more detailed opinions to be expressed.
One implement that was not mentioned by you that is very useful for grasses is an aerator. It helps with drainage by loosening soil and getting nutrients to the roots. It is also a very erosion friendly approach.

/ Choosing attachments for L4701, looking for suggestions. #18  
The L4701 just arrived today. I measured the tires outside to outside at 65.5". I think specifications say 62.5"

Check that they are not over inflated. Also tires always compress some at the contact patch, even when over inflated. The spec may include that. The way to measure circumference including that is to put the tractor on a hard surface, mark the tire and ground then move exactly one revolution and measure the distance traveled.

/ Choosing attachments for L4701, looking for suggestions.
Any suggestions on width of disc?

/ Choosing attachments for L4701, looking for suggestions. #20  
The L4701 arrived today. I measured the tires outside to outside at 65.5".
A 4-WD L4701 has just enough weight (3,300 bare weight pounds) to pull a Three Point Hitch mounted Tandem Disc Harrow 72" wide with pans 20" in diameter, weighing around 900 pounds. The tractor will grunt during second and third passes over the field, when the soil is soft.

Your L4701 is around 200 pounds lighter than my L3560, an insignificant difference. You will benefit if your L4701's rear wheels/tires carry iron wheel weights bolted to the wheels or liquid internally ballasts the rear tires, pulling a 900 pound disc.

MORE: Disc Harrow - Tandem Disc Harrow Selection For Compact Tractors

See especially Post #16.

Last edited: