Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,581  
Foot start for a cold saw (mine takes 5-8 pulls especially if I ran the tank dry previously). Drop start when it's warm or hot, its just so much easier.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,582  
I noticed in the BC Faller training video for leaners the first guy drop started w/ left hand on top handle, pulled w/ the right hand and the second guy, with the bigger saw, laid the saw tip on a log and held the pistol grip w/ his right, pulled with the left. Different strokes for different training pro folks.

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,585  
Dropping trees is an inherently dangerous thing. I've been doing it for 56 years and can be killed tomorrow.
There are all kinds of people on a forum and this one is no exception.
"Explanation" is one kind of communication but for that person who has been at this for two or three years, I feel that type of communication is insufficient and should be accompanied by a video or live demo.
If you compound this with unfamiliar nomenclature, I think it has potential to add to the problem.
I've seen 2 men killed trying to act "manly" as it has to do with logging.
I'm just trying to be cautious because we don't always know who is picking up a chainsaw or what their learning style encompasses.

I agree. I always have someone with me id the tree is any size at all, and one of my my friends up here used to cut trees in the winter (MANY years ago). He always insists on doing the cutting himself, LOL.

Have to do some more this Spring. Getting short of firewood anyways.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,586  
I've got a few hundred trees cut down and bucked up...so far, no issues...although always wanting to improve.

So, I got sucked into a blackhole.

It was the BC Fallers video series...I couldn't stop watching...although I tried!

The size of those Western trees...mesmerizing.

I'm at the opposite end of the scale from a tree hugger, although the beauty and size of some of those trees...amazing they were still standing and had not been harvested years ago.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,587  
IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

What’s always amazed me is a 10 or 12 inch piece of plastic can move some of these big girls. What’s even more amazing is when you need to move one out of a back lean what kind of a fight they can put up when jacking or pulling with a drum line.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,588  
Dropping trees is an inherently dangerous thing. I've been doing it for 56 years and can be killed tomorrow.
There are all kinds of people on a forum and this one is no exception.
"Explanation" is one kind of communication but for that person who has been at this for two or three years, I feel that type of communication is insufficient and should be accompanied by a video or live demo.
If you compound this with unfamiliar nomenclature, I think it has potential to add to the problem.
I'm just trying to be cautious because we don't always know who is picking up a chainsaw or what their learning style encompasses.
The most pertinent to me of what you wrote Arrow was this:

Watched a friend of mine be manly, refusing to stop while i am screaming that he dropping the tree on himself. Thank God, he looked up and saw it start moving toward him and he bailed out.

When we are tired, we are never in the right mind to fell trees. I told him that before he picked up the saw... but he wanted to get done. That's when someone will get hurt or worse -die - because they wanted to "giter dun".

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,589  
I've seen so many weird things that trees did that they weren't supposed to do.
This tree in your pics says everything that it should fall downhill- crown heavy side.
The notch demonstrates that as well.
Imagine your surprise when the tree wants to go the other way.

How about a tree whose entire fall side was gone inside of it.
All of its water and nutrient path was on the opposite of the tree's expected fall line.
Now the relatively new guy had cut the notch and because of his inexperience, didn't notice the color change after the cambian layer of the chips nor the rotted out wedge he took out..
All this trees weight was on its good side...opposite the side it was "supposed" to fall.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,590  
The most pertinent to me of what you wrote Arrow was this:

Watched a friend of mine be manly, refusing to stop while i am screaming that he dropping the tree on himself. Thank God, he looked up and saw it start moving toward him and he bailed out.

When we are tired, we are never in the right mind to fell trees. I told him that before he picked up the saw... but he wanted to get done. That's when someone will get hurt or worse -die - because they wanted to "giter dun".
Amen! Any time that I do something stupid it's either because I was tired or in a hurry.