Need advice on trailer purchase

/ Need advice on trailer purchase #21  
Best choice in my opinion, would be an 18 foot, 10,000 lb. GW trailer.
Most of your statement, I agree with. Except this. A 10k trailer is generally built quite a bit heavier built than a 7k. He’s going to be pushing his tow limits, if the trailer is too overbuilt. It’s also going to add a lot of cost, for very little potential benefit IN THE OP’s SITUATION. I capitalized that part because, usually, I would
agree on this part, too.

/ Need advice on trailer purchase #22  
Most of your statement, I agree with. Except this. A 10k trailer is generally built quite a bit heavier built than a 7k. He’s going to be pushing his tow limits, if the trailer is too overbuilt. It’s also going to add a lot of cost, for very little potential benefit IN THE OP’s SITUATION. I capitalized that part because, usually, I would
agree on this part, too.
If you Google 7K trailer, you will read lots of reasons to buy a 10K, from guys who have bought 7K.
Better springs, better wheel bearings (bigger) ,better brake drums (bigger), better tires (bigger), etc.
4 years ago, my 14K x 20' equipment trailer cost $4,400 OTD, and it weighs 3,300 lbs. It would likely be $800+ more today.
As an average I would assume a 1O,000 lb x 18' trailer would weigh somewhat under 2,800 lbs.

Kaufman trailers in North Carolina, is a major trailer builder. They would be a good source for weight/cost information.
I have seen Kaufman trailers on highways throughout the USA
They will deliver to you anywhere in the USA if need be.
I did not buy my trailer from them,.... but probably should have!

In my opinion, to save a few bucks on desired initial trailer expense, is almost always false economy!

Last edited:
   / Need advice on trailer purchase #24  
The problem with short trailers and hauling tractors with attachments is you almost always have to put the tractor all the way forward to try to get everything to where it's not hanging off the trailer, in other words no wiggle room and it almost always puts to much load on the hitch verses with a longer trailer you can balance the load and it will pull much better, personally I would go with a 20' trailer with 2-7k axles with electric brakes on both axles. Good luck.

/ Need advice on trailer purchase #25  
I'm building a house for my daughter about 30 minutes away and want to buy a trailer to haul my tractor/loader plus one attachment. Tractor and loader weigh about 3250 lbs. Since I cannot find anything used, I've decided to take the plunge and am considering a Big Tex car hauler (6000 lbs GVWR, model 60EC, 14' or 16'). This will handle a payload of about 4300 lbs, depending on length. This is more than ample weight for my tractor/loader/implement. The tractor/loader with an implement attached measures 14'.

On the surface, a 14' trailer seems a good fit for my needs. The ramps are slide in and not fold-down. My question is, what are some of the considerations I needs to take into account to be sure I don't make a mistake.

You should not get a "car hauler" built in the wheel track only style.
You want a smooth flat deck for a tractor, plus attachments

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Need advice on trailer purchase #26  
No one that I know has EVER wished for a smaller trailer..

Usually I’d agree but I have a 7k, 14k and a 20k trailer because the 20k is way to heavy for light work. Then I bought a 16k dump trailer to haul garbage. I might buy another one that’s lighter because a 4500 pound empty trailer is a drag on my lighter vehicles.

/ Need advice on trailer purchase
Well I can see this is a bit more complicated than I initially thought. All the feedback is very much appreciated and gives me a lot to take into consideration, many points I never even thought of. That's why I love reading these forums.

I will investigate an 18' 7K, since it should still within my budget and will give me an additional margin for size and weight. I honestly do not expect my towing needs to increase in the future and my primary concern is a comfortable tow that matches my truck and load.

What started out as simply a low-cost way to move my tractor 10 miles seems to have grown a bit.

/ Need advice on trailer purchase #28  
Well I can see this is a bit more complicated than I initially thought. All the feedback is very much appreciated and gives me a lot to take into consideration, many points I never even thought of. That's why I love reading these forums.

I will investigate an 18' 7K, since it should still within my budget and will give me an additional margin for size and weight. I honestly do not expect my towing needs to increase in the future and my primary concern is a comfortable tow that matches my truck and load.

What started out as simply a low-cost way to move my tractor 10 miles seems to have grown a bit.
From the back and forth of this discussion, it does seem as though the 18' 7K trailer may actually be the correct one for you.

I shopped!
You will likely get the best new equipment trailer pricing at Tim's RV Sales in Erving, MA. (go out MA. Rte 2).
Tim and his stepson, sell LOTS of equipment, car, and dump trailers.
Great people, worth the drive, but call first: 1-413-522-3410
No MA. tax, because you live in ME.

Last edited:
   / Need advice on trailer purchase #29  
One other thing to consider if you live in Maine. Will you use in in winter. Salt will destroy the powder coat in 2 years. Look up Diamond-C trailers and see how they prep trailers for coatings. Buy one that is prepped like diamond-C. I bought an Alabama built trailer in 06 and most of the powder coat was blown off within 2 years.

/ Need advice on trailer purchase #30  
I think " Lineman North Florida" hit it on the head... its not just about what will technically fit on the trailer and its rating, its how is the weight then distributed on the axles of the trailer and equally important on the hitch of vehicle towing it.

You can get something that technically works from a numbers (weight) calculation, but if its loaded with too much weight in the front, its a bad driving experience; if too much weight is in the back, its a dangerous driving experience.

The ability of the trailer is only one item in the calculation to the actual towing down the road event and how the experience goes for you.