Filled Tires or Ballast Box?

/ Filled Tires or Ballast Box? #1  

Git-R-Done

Bronze Member
Tractor
2021 JD 1025r (Process Buying)
I have not purchased my 1st SCUT or CUT YET, but am curious. My property is quite sandy for the first 12-16". I will rarely be using the FEL, but have a few projects so mainly mowing. Would it be better to go ballast box for when using FEL. My thoughts are the additional constant weight if fill tires would leave tracks in yard when mowing? What says you?

Git-R-Done

/ Filled Tires or Ballast Box? #2  
I have not purchased my 1st SCUT or CUT YET, but am curious. My property is quite sandy for the first 12-16". I will rarely be using the FEL, but have a few projects so mainly mowing. Would it be better to go ballast box for when using FEL. My thoughts are the additional constant weight if fill tires would leave tracks in yard when mowing? What says you?

Git-R-Done
Probably have to ask yourself how many times per year you need to remove it. If you don’t mind swapping the box on and off, that’s what I would do. Maybe a quick hitch on your 3 point would make it faster/easier??
I don’t like liquid filled tires, but if it must go on the wheels, I’d do cast rims and/or wheel weights.

Last edited:
   / Filled Tires or Ballast Box? #3  
The ballast box on the iMatch quick hitch is the way to go. The QH makes dropping the box and picking it up again "quick" and easy. Sounds like a perfect "match" for you to Get-R-dun :) whoops! Git-R-done ;)

Good Bill O'Reilly quote.. lol

/ Filled Tires or Ballast Box? #4  
I would get a box blade to use as ballast, use it for double duty vs. just a ballast box that only has one job it can do...

Skip the fill tires if you are mainly mowing....

/ Filled Tires or Ballast Box? #5  

Git-R-Done

It's not really a "which one" question. A ballast box (i.e. 3-point hitch weight) serves a different purpose than does filled tires or wheel weights. Check the Operator's Manual for the loader that you are thinking about purchasing (available on-line on the JD site). It will outline the specific ballasting requirements for that particular tractor/loader combination to enable it to be used safely.

/ Filled Tires or Ballast Box?
I would get a box blade to use as ballast, use it for double duty vs. just a ballast box that only has one job it can do...

The dealer said the same thing.

/ Filled Tires or Ballast Box? #7  

My ballast box has more than one job.. Grab hooks welded to it for hooking chains up when needed, it is a chain carrier when logging, and other odds n ends that take the place of a handy tool box.
Also dropped to the ground will remove stumps, level high spots, and can dump dirt in low spots.
And it is close in so not catching things that a box blade catches easy.
All in what fits ones' fancy.

Of any attachment that I have that gets little to no action, it is my box blade.

/ Filled Tires or Ballast Box? #8  

Git-R-Done
Just fill the tires and use it 24/7. If you need extra weight, throw on a ballast box then remove when job is complete.

/ Filled Tires or Ballast Box? #9  
I have filled tires and wish I could lose the weight when early spring and late fall come. Ground gets very soft and wet, and I leave ruts whenever I go on the lawn. I would go with the ballast box so you can run light when you want and add weight when needed.

/ Filled Tires or Ballast Box?
I have filled tires and wish I could lose the weight when early spring and late fall come. Ground gets very soft and wet, and I leave ruts whenever I go on the lawn. I would go with the ballast box so you can run light when you want and add weight when needed.
That's pretty much what I am thinking. My property does the same thing.