Filled Tires or Ballast Box?

/ Filled Tires or Ballast Box? #31  
I have not purchased my 1st SCUT or CUT YET, but am curious. My property is quite sandy for the first 12-16". I will rarely be using the FEL, but have a few projects so mainly mowing. Would it be better to go ballast box for when using FEL. My thoughts are the additional constant weight if fill tires would leave tracks in yard when mowing? What says you?

Git-R-Done
The two bolded statements are contradictory.

To whit: Once you have a FEL, you'll find all kinds of uses for it.

Hence: Ballast box plus fluid filled tires plus wheel weights.

If you can't afford the +$1/lb for WW, make your own:

vCWA5sE.jpg

cdwXNK4.jpg

/ Filled Tires or Ballast Box? #32  
Just fill the tires and use it 24/7. If you need extra weight, throw on a ballast box then remove when job is complete.
I totally agree.
IDK why so many ppl are against fluid filling tires ?
I ran all 4 of my 4700 R4 tires 90% fluid filled with water & antifreeze + rear wheel weights inside for 20yrs.
it’s out of sight, not in the way, don’t have to take it off, no extra weight on wheel bearings OR axles.

It’s a no brainer to me.
Better ride, great traction & far more stable mowing my steep banks & hills w/o loader running a 3pt Lift Type Cutter.

I’ve ran all 4 fluid filled in all 6 JD I’ve owned + rear wheels weights.

It does rob power on hills tho on small HP tractors

Last edited:
   / Filled Tires or Ballast Box? #33  
The manual for my bx states not to run filled tires and wheel weights, or transmission damage may occur. Do y'all think I should take that to heart?

My dealer didn't bat an eye when I told him I want both, and will install the wheel weights.

If it may be a problem I'll remove the weights but hang on to them. I may find myself needing them in the future for some reason, and they weren't terribly expensive.

/ Filled Tires or Ballast Box? #34  
The manual for my bx states not to run filled tires and wheel weights, or transmission damage may occur. Do y'all think I should take that to heart?

My dealer didn't bat an eye when I told him I want both, and will install the wheel weights.

If it may be a problem I'll remove the weights but hang on to them. I may find myself needing them in the future for some reason, and they weren't terribly expensive.
Biggest downside is using both may invalidate your warranty
I'd go with a ballast box rather than weights, but it's your money and your risk

/ Filled Tires or Ballast Box? #35  
I wonder how that comes into play when the dealer sold it to me and installed it. I don't think I want to waste my money on a ballast box. I'll have a box blade that I keep on the rear for ballast when I need it.

/ Filled Tires or Ballast Box? #36  
I wonder how that comes into play when the dealer sold it to me and installed it. I don't think I want to waste my money on a ballast box. I'll have a box blade that I keep on the rear for ballast when I need it.
That would depend on if the dealer backs you up...should there be a warranty claim
I've never priced wheel weights, but a ballast box goes for a few hundred bucks.
Your call, of course!!

/ Filled Tires or Ballast Box? #38  
What HP tractor are we talking ?
Keep in mind weight robs power on hills.
a small tractor with dry clutch could get damaged IF it receives punishment or abuse.
if your the only one using it & your easy on the clutch - you should be fine imo

IF it’s a Hydro Trans just be easy on hills when changing directions

Last edited:
   / Filled Tires or Ballast Box? #39  
It's a Kubota BX 1880 (18hp), HST. I don't have any hills here on my little acre!

I keep reading these are more limited by weight than they are horsepower, so I ordered it with wheel weights. My dealer told me he's gonna fill my tires too, so I went with it. I figure I can easily remove the wheel weights. The tires are small, so they don't add that much ballast, and the wheel weights are 50 lbs each, but rolled into the tractor package and financed in.

/ Filled Tires or Ballast Box? #40  
Extra weight is Alwaz good.
I fluid filled both my rear wide tires on Kubota ZD1511 Zero mower for traction on my hills.
I wouldn’t advise it with smaller zero’s having drive pumps at each wheel tho.