warm up

/ warm up #11  
Always let a diesel engine warm up a few minutes before operating, cold engine is inefficient at burning fuel,, hydraulic and transmission fluids need to warm slightly also for proper operation.

/ warm up #12  
Read the owners manual. It gives a chart of how long to idle before stressing the machine.

From working for companies that I've used very expensive excavators and loaders, the supervisors expect us to warm up the machine prior to use. Some machines won't let you move them or move them very quickly because of the safeties.
I agree. Check the manual.
My mx5100 requires warm up from a few minutes to 20 minutes depending on the temperature. And that is at high idle 1500 to 1700 rpm. And the manual states this is to loosen up the hydraulic fluid which is circulating during warm up.
I choose to follow the builders and designers of my equipment not just make up my own advice. That never works out well.😄

/ warm up #13  
I agree. Check the manual.
My mx5100 requires warm up from a few minutes to 20 minutes depending on the temperature. And that is at high idle 1500 to 1700 rpm. And the manual states this is to loosen up the hydraulic fluid which is circulating during warm up.
I choose to follow the builders and designers of my equipment not just make up my own advice. That never works out well.😄
I also follow what it says in my manual, not for the engine but for the hydraulics. I'm more worried about causing damage to my transmission from thick oil than anything else. Now that the weather is warming up here this isn't really an issue.

/ warm up #14  
summer or winter i let engine warm up to the 2nd or 3rd notch on temp gauge before heavy work. if i have to just drive to the work area, i'll let the tractor warm up on the way...
i would never consider doing heavy work with a dead cold engine. guess like engine oil, it's a personal choice

Last edited:
   / warm up #15  
summer or winter i let engine warm up to the 2nd or 3rd notch on temp gauge. i would never consider doing heavy work with a dead cold engine. guess like engine oil, it's a personal choice
Neither will I. Minimum warmup time in the is 5 minutes at 1500 RPM, again, following the owners manual. With air temp 40 or above that generally gets the engine up to operating temp. Actually, event at below freezing temps 5 minutes is all the engine requires. On my tractor the needle goes up to about 1/3 and I've never seen it get higher than that. The only thing I wish this tractor had that is doesn't is oil temp sensors.

/ warm up #16  
My 3130 manual also says not to use HST in high range until the fluid has warmed up. I would guess low fluid temp increases the fluid pressure and pops the relief valve. IIRC, the advantage of synthetic HST fluid is better low temperature performance.

/ warm up #17  
i don't pay attention to warm up time, just the coolant temp before applying a load. obviously, warm up times will vary according to ambient temp
2 notches up on the temp gauge is my warmup guide

/ warm up #18  
Diesels are fairly efficient and therefore will give off very little heat while idling. Think that recommendation to warm them up is extremely conservative, sorta similar to the every other year of changing coolant out in the present age of 10 year life for this stuff.

Just start and use gently for a bit. It'll warm up A LOT faster doing this than it will sitting there idling. Just use a good motor oil and lightest weight hydraulic fluid to keep things happy when cold.

/ warm up #19  
This is from a B7800 manual:
Screenshot 2021-04-14 4.09.13 PM.png