Why are people in Indianapolis going postal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #31  
The media is part of the problem - stoking anger and hatred. Just listen carefully to the words they use. On both sides.

MoKelly

They live for stoking anger, FEAR and hatred towards each other.
They are especially shameful with fanning the flames of racial hatred and pitting several groups of people against one another.
They do little investigating. They'd rather get the story out first. If its wrong, they never admit it, but half heartedly correct in some back page somewhere, rarely apologizing for the false stories they tell and the damage they do.
My favorite is when someone stands up to them or wins a significant judgement (Ron ********, Nicholas Sandman, Duke Lacrosse, etc)

Last edited:
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #32  
I thought Indiana had the Jake Laird law (red flag law). If the mother notified law enforcement, I wonder how things went with that?
Don't know. That'll probably come up later in the investigation.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #33  
Check out the Associated Press. It's more likely to contain news and not opinion. When I worked at the newspaper I had access to their raw satellite feed (later converted to web-based feed) and administered our systems to sort the stories to electronic news desks (database containers) based on AP supplied keywords like finance, sport, entertainment, etc. They'd do about 12,000 stories per day from all over the world. Some fascinating stuff came over that feed. It was interesting to see which newspapers around the country selected which AP stories to run with that day.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #35  
I agree that our news outlets are more concerned about stoking the 24hr news cycle with controversy over content being their mantra. The Wall Street Journal is about the only credible news agency left.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #36  
I agree that our news outlets are more concerned about stoking the 24hr news cycle with controversy over content being their mantra. The Wall Street Journal is about the only credible news agency left.
There's gonna, of course, be people that disagree with you on WSJ. However, it's perpetually rated dead in the center for bias.

I like this site. Plug in a news source you're interested in and see where it's rated for bias.

As I mentioned in the past, I worked at a newspaper for several decades. We'd get complaints about a story that we were both too far left and too far right on the same story. We were rated right down the middle as well.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #37  
People have anger and hate and they don't know how to cope with life's disappointments. Our schools teach that everyone gets a ribbon or gold star and you should always get what you want. Then these people get older and are mad because reality sets in. I think it will get worse before it gets better. Sad.
And there are too darn many weapons available for the hands of those who shouldn't have them.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #38  
I do find the radio on my short commute gives me most of the news and TV is less and less...

Still read paper when time permits but it keeps shrinking in size.

Some of the happiest people I know are the least connected or plugged in...

Typically involved with their church, grandkids and gardening...

The opposite I've found true with the big screen and 24 hour cable news being wound up a lot of the time to the point of hair trigger on both sides...

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #39  
The Wall Street Journal is about the only credible news agency left.
There's gonna, of course, be people that disagree with you on WSJ. However, it's perpetually rated dead in the center for bias.

AJC's pretty good too and they generally have longer, more detailed stories, but both have issues with paywalls.

Unfortunately, Reuters has changed format to some sort of media rich mess which means more pictures and less words.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #40  
One more murder/suicide. It's the height of self-destructive rage.

Several of my Facebook friends have been posting uplifting memes as a way of digging themselves out of depression and dark mental places. It's a small sample, but I think a lot of people are having a tough time maintaining their emotional balance. It puts me in mind of Thoreau's famous quote, "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."

I found my version of Waldon Pond years ago, but still remember the early '80s, when I was in my 30s and everything in my life was going wrong. It seemed nothing I did helped, and I was angry all the time. That level of frustration consumes you.

I think modern American life is not good for people. There is too much noise, too much congestion, too many rules, and a constant drum beat of fear and anger. It is not good for people to live in fear.

I like TBN because rural living dials down the anger. We can justifiably be angry at that gopher in the garden, and make serious plans to kill that sucker, without inflicting violence on people. We don't keep guns for self defense, we keep guns because we might need to shoot something. People in cities think guns are for shooting people. I can't imagine that. I have to work myself up for two weeks just to butcher a cow. I think if more people had been up to their elbows in a warm gut pile, they would be less casual about killing.
Heck, I had to drop a perfectly healthy tree the other week... it was in a dangerous place.

I still, emotionally, regret having to do it, but it had to be done.

This very morning I had to dispose of a pademelon (a small kangaroo) corpse. The poor thing died of natural causes, and took a while to finally pass, but I had to watch it slowly pass away. I've had to have a much loved horse put down, and held him whilst the Vet injected the lethal dose, then buried him.

Rural people look at life differently than coddled Urban people, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.