finish nail puller deluxe.

/ finish nail puller deluxe. #31  
Why would you want to pull just one nail? Unless it bent on the way in, and then it wouldn't take much to pull it back out.
We must be disagreeing to agree, because this is so silly simple.
In my example, if I apply a piece of trim to a door or window, and I have a bunch of nails holding it in place, then I bend a nail, why in heck would I remove the entire piece of trim off the window, just so I can pull the nail through the BACK of the piece of trim?
Wouldnt you simply leave the mostly-nailed piece of trim where it is and just yank the bent finish nail out towards you, from the front?

/ finish nail puller deluxe. #32  
IMG_0384.jpg

I found out that the next most important thing to the having/using the right tool to pull the nail, is having a way to keep the board immobile, and up where I can work on it. I usually set up some sawhorses, but one time I inherited a trailer load of used lumber, from a person who had mental problems that he solved by driving nails into wood in as many ways as he could. So I built myself a super sawhorse out of 2x6 lumber, with additional pieces to hold it steady while I pulled, yanked, and twisted the nails. I used large F style clamps to secure the boards to the sawhorse. I built a shelve to hold my tools, and I kept a magnet-on-a-stick handy to pickup the nails and screws that got away. Some lumber I was able to salvage for my son-in-law to use for building stage flats for the local theatre he helps out, and the rest I turned into firewood. Of course having a black lab to supervise is always important, even if she sleeps most of the time.

/ finish nail puller deluxe. #33  
He used his tractor to bring his tool box to the jobsite.

I thought he was going to use the thumb on his backhoe to pinch the nail and pull it.

/ finish nail puller deluxe. #34  
Every 6th nail is designed to be imperfect at manufacture to bend in different directions. The tool manufactures pay for this so that "we" will have to buy more than one tool to remove them. It is simple economics.

/ finish nail puller deluxe.
Nonetheless, this nail puller works like a charm when you have finish nails in old trim or boards and you'd like to pull the nails through, not backwards like most nail pullers do. This very much lessens the damage to the wood. That's a little piece of pipe I welded onto the jaw. This one little tool with make your nail pulling day the best. (not three tools as other folks said they use) :cool:
P1100374.jpg

/ finish nail puller deluxe. #36  
Several years ago Tractor Supply had a similar tool in the bin at the front of the store. The price was very low and I bought one thinking it might work on fencing staples. Don't think I've ever tried it.

/ finish nail puller deluxe. #37  
I bought one of these once (large size) Absolutely loved it....so on a whim when I was at the store and they had a set on sale, I bought it (giving me two large, one small and one medium).

Love how this grabs onto a nut or bolt....BUT in keeping with the spirit of this thread, I've found it to be very useful in pulling out nails too. The rounded head simply lets you roll it after you grab the offender. It will pull through the wood (finish nails) or back out (finish or regular)

download.jpg

/ finish nail puller deluxe. #38  
I bought one of these once (large size) Absolutely loved it....so on a whim when I was at the store and they had a set on sale, I bought it (giving me two large, one small and one medium).

Love how this grabs onto a nut or bolt....BUT in keeping with the spirit of this thread, I've found it to be very useful in pulling out nails too. The rounded head simply lets you roll it after you grab the offender. It will pull through the wood (finish nails) or back out (finish or regular)

View attachment 695243
I saw those in the TS store and couldn't figure out what they were for. The one I got was flat black, with long handles, and doesn't lock.

Last edited:
   / finish nail puller deluxe. #39  
Of the various vice grips I have.....these are ALWAYS now my first go-to.

/ finish nail puller deluxe. #40  
Thought to add... I've used these pulling finish nails (out face and out back) regular nails (ditto), wiring staples that hold wiring to your studs, FLOOR staples back when I used "U" shaped staples for an oak floor. I've used them when I ripped up an old pine floor that had been stapled down and all the staples needed to be removed.

That rounded head really makes them handy to use when pulling something out. To protect the face of things, I'll also put a piece of wood between to help protect the finish.

I've even pulled out what turned out to be old screws (yeah it buggered up the wood but I was probably "de-nailing" it for the burn pile)