Few workers, no prices, just a place to pay

/ Few workers, no prices, just a place to pay #61  
It's not the one-time $1400 check. It's the weekly unemployment benefit. Add it all up and you can make well over $500 a week on unemployment. That's $26K per year, or = to about $13 an hour working 40 hours a week for 50 weeks a year.

I think it's been discussed on TBN many times over the years.

A single head of household (man or woman) with three children can get something like $34K in benefits in my state. That's = to about $17 an hour at 40 hours a week. Why would anyone in their right mind take a job for $15 an hour to make less working and spending 40 hours a week away from home?

Bart Simpson said it best:

Thanks. I believe the poverty level for a family of 4 is around $26,000. So, government welfare is above the poverty level.

To answer your question about who in their right mind would work for $15/hour to make less than staying at home —- I’m guessing those with self pride, confidence and a desire to make their own way in the world and one day make more than $15/hour.

My thinking is those folks should be praised and admired - not deemed foolish or out of their mind.

Not criticizing your comment as I believe you were being sort of facetious.

MoKelly

/ Few workers, no prices, just a place to pay #62  
Laid off workers often have preference when employers start hiring but it seems this law isn’t really needed in that hospitality and food service are finding many not ready to come back... at least in SF Bay Area.

/ Few workers, no prices, just a place to pay #63  
Lowes sucks anymore. I remember when they annoyed you constantly asking if they could help you. Last two times I needed assistance there was no one around so I called the store and asked them to send someone to my area. No one showed both times. My second call informed them that I was next to the vacant desk for that area and I was about to start paging for help myself and I loved sarcastic humor. Help showed up quickly.

Went to Walfart with my son and daughter in law to get a tv. A couple was waiting at the electronics desk when we got there, they said no one had showed up even after numerous request. A friend of theirs rolled up on the store scooter and asked if they were still waiting on help. He told them he would get some help. He starts screaming HELP as loud as he can. Five employees and numerous patrons come running. It was hilarious.
This is just a store’s way of asking to be put out of business by someplace like Amazon.

/ Few workers, no prices, just a place to pay #64  
Thanks. I believe the poverty level for a family of 4 is around $26,000. So, government welfare is above the poverty level.

To answer your question about who in their right mind would work for $15/hour to make less than staying at home —- I’m guessing those with self pride, confidence and a desire to make their own way in the world and one day make more than $15/hour.

My thinking is those folks should be praised and admired - not deemed foolish or out of their mind.

Not criticizing your comment as I believe you were being sort of facetious.

MoKelly
Yep. I was only stating what is true. I don't subscribe to it. Working in a production environment for 30 years at the newspaper, when I started, the people operating the inserting equipment were all older women. They made a bit over minimum wage and worked a few days a week. It was the equivelent of egg money or pin money. As time went on, younger people came in as that's all the work they could get. They'd work 2 and 3 part time jobs because they had no skills to get full time work.

/ Few workers, no prices, just a place to pay #65  
<snip> Yet homeless line up for a hand out. <snip>
What burned my behind was all the people waiting in line in their fancy SUV's for their free weekly box of groceries. Seems since they were collecting an extra $600 Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation they had plenty of time to wait in line for free groceries.
I doubt there were many homeless in the lines I saw.

/ Few workers, no prices, just a place to pay #67  
I’ll show my ignorance.

What is “pin money”?

MoKelly
Bowling :ROFLMAO:

No. Pins, like sewing pins. Household items.

Housewife's allowance.

/ Few workers, no prices, just a place to pay #68  
I’ll show my ignorance.

What is “pin money”?

MoKelly
Somewhere I got the notion it was because they pinned the money inside their blouses. Using safety or diaper pins.

/ Few workers, no prices, just a place to pay #69  
What burned my behind was all the people waiting in line in their fancy SUV's for their free weekly box of groceries. Seems since they were collecting an extra $600 Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation they had plenty of time to wait in line for free groceries.
I doubt there were many homeless in the lines I saw.
Poor here is different than just about anywhere in the world...

I managed Section 8 rentals a brand new cars were frequent... mostly like Corolla and similar.

Cable, Cell, etc the norm...

Last I checked it was almost 70k income for a Bay Area family of 4 to still qualify for Section 8

What do you tell the guy working for the phone company with wife and two kids just making the mortgage and the neighbor next door lives in the same type of home... same school, same cars and pays 129 a month portion of rent?

Takes a very strong person to leave assistance and in 35 years can count on one hand those I know that did.

/ Few workers, no prices, just a place to pay #70  
I was in Lowe’s a few weeks and it seemed half the lumber did not have prices.

In my area all the Lowe’s and Home Depot’s have help wanted signs. It seems customer service is getting worse and worse as businesses cannot find workers.

In my small town a restaurant that has been opened for 50 plus years closes at 4:00 because they cannot find enough people to work the night shift. Local fast food places have closed early because of a lack of workers.
A friend owns a restaurant and I've owned a couple. Can't hire anyone.

He told me he can not compete with unemployment insurance.