Time for a Zero Turn

/ Time for a Zero Turn #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
We did the lawn this afternoon. The wife was not supposed to be doing it (doc told her light duty for 2 weeks after doing her new tooth base), and she wasn't supposed to be pulling old barbed wire out of along the old maintenance road down below this morning either. Told her that I just could no longer do the lawn with the walkbehinds. She said, "No, I can do it." No, she cannot when it gets much above 80. I'd been able to do about 30 minutes at a time in the past, resting in between when really hot. Now, my lower legs and feet just aren't cutting it.

Told her we need a zero turn. She finally caved.

Watched a youtube video yesterday that popped up beside the church service one we were watching. Told about best 5 ZTRs below $5,000. Most economical ones were the Toro 42 inch Timecutter and a Husqvarna 200 series. Past this, they got bigger and closer to $5,000. Much as I'd love to have a battery one (Ryobi has a 42 inch for $4,200), I think they're just not me ready. Maybe only 2 hours mowing time. Would have to watch the time carefully if I used one to mow the trails.

The Toro 42 Timecutter is available by a local dealer who seems to have same prices as at Home Depot. Would get better service from the local guy. Mulching kits online for them are $159. Got lots of hp to do mulching. Really only need 18 hp. It has north of 20.

Ralph

/ Time for a Zero Turn #2  
We did the lawn this afternoon. The wife was not supposed to be doing it (doc told her light duty for 2 weeks after doing her new tooth base), and she wasn't supposed to be pulling old barbed wire out of along the old maintenance road down below this morning either. Told her that I just could no longer do the lawn with the walkbehinds. She said, "No, I can do it." No, she cannot when it gets much above 80. I'd been able to do about 30 minutes at a time in the past, resting in between when really hot. Now, my lower legs and feet just aren't cutting it.

Told her we need a zero turn. She finally caved.

Watched a youtube video yesterday that popped up beside the church service one we were watching. Told about best 5 ZTRs below $5,000. Most economical ones were the Toro 42 inch Timecutter and a Husqvarna 200 series. Past this, they got bigger and closer to $5,000. Much as I'd love to have a battery one (Ryobi has a 42 inch for $4,200), I think they're just not me ready. Maybe only 2 hours mowing time. Would have to watch the time carefully if I used one to mow the trails.

The Toro 42 Timecutter is available by a local dealer who seems to have same prices as at Home Depot. Would get better service from the local guy. Mulching kits online for them are $159. Got lots of hp to do mulching. Really only need 18 hp. It has north of 20.

Ralph
I know nothing about the Toro 42 Timecutter, but if you are comparing with big box store ZTR's you can get much better quality for just a little more money, and still stay under $5,000.
There are several other options, but I bought a 48" SCAG Liberty Z for $4,400 OTD six months ago, and it is very close to a commercial quality machine.
The SCAG is way better built than the Toro machines I see at HD.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #3  
I'm with you on a SCAG vs a Timecutter.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #4  
Loving the Bad Boy Mowers. ZT Elite is top end residential - low end commercial.

IMG_3427.jpg

These prices are set by Bad Boy.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #5  
Keep in mind that Z-turns have issues with hills. Is your yard more or less level ?

/ Time for a Zero Turn #6  
My son has the toro titan with the my ride system , its awsome. I have a bad boy and like it also , After i put a suspension seat on it.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #7  
Toro is made by exmark which is very high quality .

/ Time for a Zero Turn #8  
I did a lot of investigating and I am getting a Bag Boy ZT Elite. It has a 7 ga deck and front suspension.

The second choice was a Country Clipper. We loved driving with the joy stick....but only a 12 ga deck and looks less robust in every way.

/ Time for a Zero Turn
I struck out with the local dealer. He did not have the 75740 but did have the mulch kit. May go the Home Depot route if I can get the wife settled down. She's been worked hard in the heat. She doesn't do well in the heat. She cannot mow the yard with the walkbehind in the heat. I'm telling her that I cannot now do it. Working this out.

This sounds almost like a tractor discussion, so much BIGGER IS BETTER proposals. Well, I cannot get bigger into some places on our property and on the upper trail along a carved out maintenance road.

Rethinking again about not going battery. Lots of gasoline to have around for the ZT and lots more maintenance to them every year, about $100 just in spark plugs, etc. Add in the gas of near 1 gph on carbs. Think would pretty much run free plugged into the carriage house with its solar panels on top. Battery units run $4200-4900, depending on whether Ryobi or EGO: about $1500-2200 more than the lesser expensive Toro 14.5 hp unit.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #10  
I struck out with the local dealer. He did not have the 75740 but did have the mulch kit. May go the Home Depot route if I can get the wife settled down. She's been worked hard in the heat. She doesn't do well in the heat. She cannot mow the yard with the walkbehind in the heat. I'm telling her that I cannot now do it. Working this out.

This sounds almost like a tractor discussion, so much BIGGER IS BETTER proposals. Well, I cannot get bigger into some places on our property and on the upper trail along a carved out maintenance road.

Rethinking again about not going battery. Lots of gasoline to have around for the ZT and lots more maintenance to them every year, about $100 just in spark plugs, etc. Add in the gas of near 1 gph on carbs. Think would pretty much run free plugged into the carriage house with its solar panels on top. Battery units run $4200-4900, depending on whether Ryobi or EGO: about $1500-2200 more than the lesser expensive Toro 14.5 hp unit.
RalphVa,

100 in spark plugs a year????? what in the world are you buying? I haven't had to change a spark plug prolly in 20 years on any of machines. I don't know why they came up with this change spark plugs every year. you don't do it in your car, why does a small machine need it. Some of my machines are 25 years old on the original plugs..

can you get 2 hours on the battery units? battery units really aren't cheaper over gas equivalent, but i am not versed on the new tractors, have they moved to lipo, life4?

if it takes you 2 hours with a push mower, i wouldn't be surprised if it takes you 30 minutes now. I use to use a push mower on 1.5 acres all hills. 3+ hours. now takes 50 minutes with a 46" lawn tractor, not a zt