Time for a Zero Turn

/ Time for a Zero Turn #11  
I don't know why they came up with this change spark plugs every year. you don't do it in your car, why does a small machine need it. Some of my machines are 25 years old on the original plugs..
I don't have any small engine equipment that's 25 years old (though my chain saw is getting there), but yeah, 4 strokes shouldn't need plugs very often. 2 strokes, well maybe a different story.
Keep in mind that Z-turns have issues with hills. Is your yard more or less level ?
I've heard that, but no one's ever elaborated. Is it that they have a higher center of gravity than, say a lawn tractor making them tippy or is it a traction issue?

As far as box store mower vs one from a power equipment dealer, much depends on your age and how much use it'll get. I've had decent enough luck with box store mowers in the past, not sure a pro model is worth the extra money for a homeowner.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #12  
I struck out with the local dealer. He did not have the 75740 but did have the mulch kit. May go the Home Depot route if I can get the wife settled down. She's been worked hard in the heat. She doesn't do well in the heat. She cannot mow the yard with the walkbehind in the heat. I'm telling her that I cannot now do it. Working this out.

This sounds almost like a tractor discussion, so much BIGGER IS BETTER proposals. Well, I cannot get bigger into some places on our property and on the upper trail along a carved out maintenance road.

Rethinking again about not going battery. Lots of gasoline to have around for the ZT and lots more maintenance to them every year, about $100 just in spark plugs, etc. Add in the gas of near 1 gph on carbs. Think would pretty much run free plugged into the carriage house with its solar panels on top. Battery units run $4200-4900, depending on whether Ryobi or EGO: about $1500-2200 more than the lesser expensive Toro 14.5 hp unit.
I bought 6 Platinum tipped Bosch plugs for my MB E-350 for $60.
$100 every year for (2?) mower plugs, filters, etc?
Perhaps....if using 200+ hours each year.

Last edited:
   / Time for a Zero Turn #13  
2 strokes, well maybe a different story.
Yea Don't change those either, may hit them with an air compressor if i flood them out

/ Time for a Zero Turn #14  
I have a Toro 2 stroke mower i bought in 1990. I have replaced the spark plug once in all these years. It starts FIRST PULL all the time. Even in the spring after sitting all winter. That's reliable. No expensive maint needed every year. Never have changed the oil either lol.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #16  
Keep in mind that Z-turns have issues with hills. Is your yard more or less level ?
Say what?
I cut hills some of my clients can’t even walk on with a zero turn.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #17  

I've heard that, but no one's ever elaborated. Is it that they have a higher center of gravity than, say a lawn tractor making them tippy or is it a traction issue?

Say what?
I cut hills some of my clients can’t even walk on with a zero turn.
I don't have a ZT, but I do have hills. Fairly steep ones by comparison to most yards. Everything I read here and other places was that ZTs have control issues on hills. Mostly when trying to maintain a straight line while mowing across a hill, but also a tendency to freewheel or slide downhill. Even the guy I bought the property from who uses a ZT on his own place told me no.

That's regarding the consumer/home owner grade models. The commercial models may handle better, but the cost is much higher.

Can't speak from experience since I went with a SCUT instead.

Before buying an electric model, check replacement cost of batteries. You'll probably need a set after a few years. Think of how often you need new batteries for cordless tools.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #18  
My zero turn is excellent on hills. First, it has an extremely low center of gravity so it is not tippy. It has a protective roll over structure and seatbelts.
As far as traction goes, it is very good. If you remove the turf tires and install bar tires, it will go almost anywhere, but they are not necessary for steep ground.
I have no issues going across hills or with sliding. I believe that is more of an operator issue. When I first got mine, I did have issues, but learned how to control it properly and I am confident on the steepest hills. Some of them are difficult to walk up, but the zero turn goes across, up or down same hills.
I can go down or up the steepest hills, let go of the controls and it will just coast to a soft stop in 1-2 feet and sit there.
I don’t know the OPs hill situation, but with a little experience, a zero turn can handle very steep hills effortlessly.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #19  
I second the Ferris recommendation and also not the 60 or 72 inch models. a 48in will cut in 1/2 the time of a lawn tractor. No hills are recommended by the manufactures but you can cut on hills within reason. The SCAG recommendation is also a good one, my buddy has a SCAG that is 20 years old and only has had to change the oil and and filters.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #20  
I have a Toro 2 stroke mower i bought in 1990. I have replaced the spark plug once in all these years. It starts FIRST PULL all the time. Even in the spring after sitting all winter. That's reliable. No expensive maint needed every year. Never have changed the oil either lol.

Oh my. The environmental folks will be marching in front of your place now!

MoKelly