Time for a Zero Turn

/ Time for a Zero Turn
Here's some comparison of EGO vs. Ryobi that I did this morning:

More comfortable/adjustable seat on EGO.

More capable, the EGO.

No discharge closure yet for the EGO for mulching. (online says "it's coming")

EGO comes with 4 of the 6 battery slots filled. Unclear exactly what the price is, VERY expensive.

Batteries (4) on the Ryobi are $213 each.

Local HD has Ryobi. Lowes has EGO. HD will give veteran discount but have to take copy of DD214 and do in person with ID (driver's license) vs. Lowes allows with their card online.

Think the Ryobi is the winner with price, mulching closure and less expensive batteries. Don't need the extra capability of the EGO but may miss the more comfortable seat.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #33  
HD will give veteran discount but have to take copy of DD214 and do in person with ID (driver's license)
Do you have one of these?

/ Time for a Zero Turn #34  
Do you have one of these?

Sure do!
Have used it extensively at both Lowe's and HD, for at least the past 16 years.
Built a new house, and saved a lot of money on building materials, and fixtures.

/ Time for a Zero Turn
Rats. Waynesboro store (don't have HD in Charlottesville) says they don't have it, and you have to place order in store with your military discharge copy and ID (driver's license) to get the 10% discount. The HD in Glen Allen (70 miles vs. 35 to Waynesboro) has them. Guess I'll have to pop over there after my tractor is delivered here tomorrow. Worth it for $420 off.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #36  
So this is just one of the steep hills I cut with my ZT (ZD331). I used to mow across it, but found it was much better going up and down.
Pictures dont do it justice, but it’s pretty steep. Lose control and you go for a swim with the snapping turtles.
I have never felt like I couldn’t stop, under control going straight down at the pond. Going uphill, it’s easy as a walk in the park.

Attachments

• 5EF13DF3-52AD-45EB-8CD2-4CDCDC8AC8F8.jpeg
    5EF13DF3-52AD-45EB-8CD2-4CDCDC8AC8F8.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 116
  • 7D30E332-5CD1-4EEA-B0C1-16130A442C18.jpeg
    7D30E332-5CD1-4EEA-B0C1-16130A442C18.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 115
  • D613412E-DA16-4320-924D-48E416D182F9.jpeg
    D613412E-DA16-4320-924D-48E416D182F9.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 110
   / Time for a Zero Turn
So this is just one of the steep hills I cut with my ZT (ZD331). I used to mow across it, but found it was much better going up and down.
Pictures dont do it justice, but it’s pretty steep. Lose control and you go for a swim with the snapping turtles.
I have never felt like I couldn’t stop, under control going straight down at the pond. Going uphill, it’s easy as a walk in the park.
Do you go uphill forward or reverse.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #39  
Do you go uphill forward or reverse.
I believe it has a lot to do with the mower's weight distribution. Some have a lower % weight on the rear driving wheels, so going up would not be a problem, some have higher % so they may be 'more tippy'. I have an 1800 lb JD 997 and can do anything I want, except get the "lower" wheel close too close while driving along the edge of the pond (gets soft or muddy and looses traction). I have determined that for mine the front gets very light once it points uphill at 40-45 degrees (that is not 45%, it is 45 degrees). Side cutting is not an issue and when the banks of my pond are completely dry and hard, have even been known to drive along the edge to trim at close to a 45 degree angle, because my rear track is wide. But on wet/damp grass, watch out even on gentle slopes for the front wheels will want to head downhill.

Some mowers with a narrower rear wheel base (i.e. HD or Lowes or cheaper priced units) will have a difficult time turning or controlling the direction of the front - too much left-right torque required with not enough traction leverage. Add to that their cheap smoother drive tires and they may turn out to be very disappointing.

Ralph - I don't recall hearing how much acreage you are mowing. Must not be much if you have been putting up with a walk-behind. I would be careful to evaluate how much space/acreage each electric mower claims to cut per charge, then cut those sales/optimistic numbers in half for reality, before making a final decision. For now you may even consider finding a used gas mower (zt or standard) to see how it works for you. Some people may buy something and realize that what they have does not match their situation. Buying used means you will have a lower investment should you decide it doesn't [work], and have to re-sell. You will gain knowledge to make a more informed decision on your next mower.

/ Time for a Zero Turn
Well, the Home Depot store has to have them and you live within 45 miles of the store for them to give you the veteran discount and ship it to you. If you have a trailer like you carry your tractor on, you could pick it up. I ordered from Home Depot online. Expected shipment date is June 1.

Otherwise, you go online to amazon, and they are $6122.

Hopefully get the RY48ZTR100 by June 1. Just not able to do the mowing myself, and the wife cannot do it when it gets really hot. Probably will use it to mow my trails and the "blueberry patch" down the hill, too. Just use the tractor for real bush hog work and chipping in the fall, winter.