Time for a Zero Turn

/ Time for a Zero Turn #21  
Oh my. The environmental folks will be marching in front of your place now!

MoKelly
Yeah....but with that 2 stroke....no mosquitos within miles!

/ Time for a Zero Turn
Through happenstance maybe promoted by what we cannot control, I'm off the gasoline powered ones. Here's what I told the wife:

I guesstimate added costs for a gasoline zero turn to be about $200/yr in gas vs kw, oil, spark plugs, air filter, belt. Just a lot more hassle to run get gasoline, change oil, spark plugs, air filter, etc.

Difference in price is $4200 + 21 vs 2600 + 149 (adds for mulch kits) = approx $1400 or 7 years to pay out. (Turns out the Ryobi comes with a mulch cover. Remove the $21.)

Thinking battery on Ryobi might last that long as would the starter battery on the Toro. (Except 4 batteries on the Ryobi are $200 apiece vs. probably about $100 for a starter motor battery for Kawasaki engines. After 7 years, the savings continue though.)

Ryobi reviews, etc. are very impressive. Can get at HD. Lowes has the EGO ZT with lithium ion batteries (vs. the 4 lead acid for the Ryobi). With veteran discount of 10% at Lowes, it brings the price of the EGO to within $300 of the Ryobi. Wife will check to see if HD has a card that gives veteran discounts as well.

In meantime, I'll check out reviews and battery replacement costs for the EGO.

/ Time for a Zero Turn
Yeah....but with that 2 stroke....no mosquitos within miles!
Don't have a mosquito problem here. Had to give away all the 2 strokes back in 2013 when I got the ICD in my chest. Loved my 2 stroke Lawnboy; just could no longer get them.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #24  
Don't have a mosquito problem here. Had to give away all the 2 strokes back in 2013 when I got the ICD in my chest. Loved my 2 stroke Lawnboy; just could no longer get them.
I have a 2 stroke Lawn Boy, that I need to either sell, or give away.
I haven't used it in ten years, but it is in perfect condition.
Think I might get $75 for it?

/ Time for a Zero Turn #25  
Wife will check to see if HD has a card that gives veteran discounts as well.
They do not. Their policy is flexible and up to each store manager. In store only and only on in stock items, no special orders, plus other exceptions. Present ID and see what they say.

There are collectors who obsess over them. Search some of the other forum websites and they'll pop up.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #26  
They do not. Their policy is flexible and up to each store manager. In store only and only on in stock items, no special orders, plus other exceptions. Present ID and see what they say.

There are collectors who obsess over them. Search some of the other forum websites and they'll pop up.
Oh my gosh!
I see used Lawn boy 21" mowers now on E-Bay for $300, and up!
I think I'll list it, as a for bid item, and see what happens.
Thank you!

/ Time for a Zero Turn #27  
I don't have any small engine equipment that's 25 years old (though my chain saw is getting there), but yeah, 4 strokes shouldn't need plugs very often. 2 strokes, well maybe a different story.

I've heard that, but no one's ever elaborated. Is it that they have a higher center of gravity than, say a lawn tractor making them tippy or is it a traction issue?

As far as box store mower vs one from a power equipment dealer, much depends on your age and how much use it'll get. I've had decent enough luck with box store mowers in the past, not sure a pro model is worth the extra money for a homeowner.
I'll elaborate. I have a Kubota ZT. Like most ZT's all the weight is in the back, and where you sit doesn't cancel that. Sure, you're forward of the engine, but still near the rear third of the mower.

I have hills and it really doesn't take much slope to make me nervous. You have these hairtrigger controls and the ZT's can really accelerate, and I definitely pull uphill wheelies without meaning to, and have had the whole thing attempt to turn over on me if not for the fact that I was trying to get out of a ditch I was mowing such that the rear of the mower was halted by one side of the ditch.

Very. Sensitive. To. Hills. More dangerous than my tractor. Would never dream of asking my spouse to drive it.

Maybe some ZT's are better, or maybe people's idea of "hills" vary. Some people also use weights on the front of the mower. Even without the rollover factor there are other issues with ZT's on hills, e.g. those hydraulics are your brakes. No hydraulics, no brakes!

Anyway, careful, and if you have hills, take it seriously and test what you're buying on some hill. For my mower and yard at least it is no joke. Like the tractor, consider mowing in reverse to go uphill if rollovers are a concern. Though I have horrible luck with my tires and traction when I try to back up, which has nearly left me stuck from time to time.

On the bright side, out on the flat straightaway, I'm flying and it's a hoot.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #28  
I have an Ariens Ikon X 52 and if I had to do it over Id go with a Badboy.

/ Time for a Zero Turn
I'd advertise it for maybe $120. When we get the Ryobi, the wife says the old JD 14SB has to go. Think I'll advertise it for $150. I replaced the blade brake on it a couple years ago. There's a local Nextdoor thing online here that is good for selling stuff like these.

/ Time for a Zero Turn
I'll elaborate. I have a Kubota ZT. Like most ZT's all the weight is in the back, and where you sit doesn't cancel that. Sure, you're forward of the engine, but still near the rear third of the mower.

I have hills and it really doesn't take much slope to make me nervous. You have these hairtrigger controls and the ZT's can really accelerate, and I definitely pull uphill wheelies without meaning to, and have had the whole thing attempt to turn over on me if not for the fact that I was trying to get out of a ditch I was mowing such that the rear of the mower was halted by one side of the ditch.

Very. Sensitive. To. Hills. More dangerous than my tractor. Would never dream of asking my spouse to drive it.

Maybe some ZT's are better, or maybe people's idea of "hills" vary. Some people also use weights on the front of the mower. Even without the rollover factor there are other issues with ZT's on hills, e.g. those hydraulics are your brakes. No hydraulics, no brakes!

Anyway, careful, and if you have hills, take it seriously and test what you're buying on some hill. For my mower and yard at least it is no joke. Like the tractor, consider mowing in reverse to go uphill if rollovers are a concern. Though I have horrible luck with my tires and traction when I try to back up, which has nearly left me stuck from time to time.

On the bright side, out on the flat straightaway, I'm flying and it's a hoot.
Yeah. Thinking its safest to back up a hill. I'm not getting for the speed, just maneuverability. The Ryobi has a "slow" button that you can push to avoid some possible jolt by the drive system taking off too fast.