My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,222  
Be sure to talk to at least 5 different HVAC contractors before committing to mini split systems. Be sure to ask each of them what would be better for your house.

In every house that I've gone into with a mini split system, I thought the AC wasn't working. Everyone who has them seems to love them, but for me, they seem to lack in removing humidity from the air.

I can't imagine a scenario where I would consider a mini split over a central AC system with ducts. To me, it's night and day, with mini splits being a last choice resort when there are no other options. And I would put in a window unit over a mini split because they actually work really good!!!

You must have never been around a proper mini-split setup. I've never heard this type of feedback or response from anyone that has actual experience with them. To say you would prefer a window unit over a minisplit makes this even harder to understand and only reinforces the idea you haven't been around a proper mini-split setup.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,224  
You can get inverter technology HVAC units that combine both mini split heads and ducted air handlers all running off the same compressor. Also can produce rated heat output down to near 0* as well as having the option of adding resistance strip heaters in the ducted air handler. Really hard to beat inverter tech stuff, quiet, you can get something that works in most any application, and the efficiency is truly exceptIonal. Keep in mind that contractor mark up is often 100% on the equipment, so that accounts for a good bit of the sticker shock. Of course, it is possible to put it in yourself……..

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,225  
With your bedrooms and baths on each side of the house with attic access and the middle a open timber frame how do you plan on running the duct work. Seems you will be having exposed duct work running across the great room to the sides of the house where it will be then in the attic space ? Was that your design for the exposed duct work ?

If you are going to have a stand by generator then by all means get it wired up while you are doing the initial wiring layout and connections.

So what was cheaper from the drywall contractor. Getting a bid for 'per sheet ' or a bid by the sq foot ? I always use the biggest sheet i can to not have those pesky seams !

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,226  
We have three Mitsubishi mini-splits all single zone ductless units - one 9K in a 16x42 detached office in the garage as the primary heat/ac, then in the house 1 12K in the downstairs 32x52' with 32x32 the main living area and one 9K in the 20x52 upstairs Bedroom/bath/sitting room. These are used as supplemental heat in the winter and all cooling in the summer.

The single zone ductless are simple and the highest efficiency 30+ SEER and will condition and cool a well insulated tight house without ducting. These were $3K each installed in 2018 - cost of materials about $1500 each unit.

Your main open living area 24x40 for heat/cooling 2 12K ductless units on the opposite walls should suffice, then the master a 9K, but the three bedroom wing is a challenge to get distribution so a ducted unit may be better - but how often will this wing be occupied? If just infrequently then a single unit could suffice for cooling but not for heating uniformly.

If mini-splits are the primary heat/ac source, a ducted system would be best in the BR wings, then ductless in the central area. The cost does go up a lot for ducted systems due to install and air handlers etc.

A good HVAC guy will do a heat loss/gain, and also figure out the air/air exchange with your tight SIP house.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,227  
"but the three bedroom wing is a challenge to get distribution so a ducted unit may be better - but how often will this wing be occupied? If just infrequently then a single unit could suffice for cooling but not for heating uniformly."
I don't have expertise here, but if the mini split takes care of cooling for the three bedroom wing, it woud be easy to add baseboard electric units in the bedrooms for their occasional need for heat.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,228  
You must have never been around a proper mini-split setup. I've never heard this type of feedback or response from anyone that has actual experience with them. To say you would prefer a window unit over a minisplit makes this even harder to understand and only reinforces the idea you haven't been around a proper mini-split setup.
I'm sure you're right. Seems like that happens a lot when I notice something different then others.

I've also noticed that people who buy mini split systems absolutely love them, regardless of how poorly they work. My guess is that once you buy into the energy savings selling point, the lack of performance when compared to a central unit, doesn't matter to them.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,229  
There's also a big difference in weather and buildings, comparing TX, NH, WI, etc. That could affect performance of the systems in the different environments.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,230  
In every house that I've gone into with a mini split system, I thought the AC wasn't working. Everyone who has them seems to love them, but for me, they seem to lack in removing humidity from the air.

I can't imagine a scenario where I would consider a mini split over a central AC system with ducts. To me, it's night and day, with mini splits being a last choice resort when there are no other options. And I would put in a window unit over a mini split because they actually work really good!!!

Maybe you needed a full size split instead of a mini split to get the job done? Or even a mega split.