Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed)

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #101  
If you look up a couple posts, i created them myself in fusion 360.

you might want to look at using a iphone as a 3d scanner, appears there are apps now, that will interface with a program either called blender or mixmaster which can get you a rough quality image. I'm not quite there yet
Will you upload your STL file to thingiverse?

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #102  
The first computer I ever used was a TRS-80 Model 1 Level 1 in high school in 76. Bought by the chemistry teacher. That thing had 4K of RAM. Teacher then bought the upgrade to Level 2 and its whole 64KB of RAM. I still remember him saying arrays are now unlimited!

First real programs I wrote on it were an income tax software and a baseball game. Graphics were quite limited to say the least lol

Man, that brings back memories :)
I had a TRS-80 Model 1 back then too. 64K of memory, expansion interface, internal 300 baud modem and three 160K(I think) floppy drives. When they were available I replaced the drives with double sided 320K drives. A massive amount of storage back then!
I wish I still had it to tinker with.

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #103  
The level 2 was such a step up from level 1. The only error message level 1 gave you when you had an error in your code was 'what', 'how' and another one that I can't remember. Plus level 2 had the peek and poke commands!

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #104  
If I remember correctly, there were some basic programs you run that would poke machine code routines into memory and run them.
I always thought the 16 lines by 64 column display was a big mistake. Why not just make it a standard 25 by 80? I guess the 1K more memory required for the video was a big deal.

Those were the days. N'est pas?

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #105  
Years ago I learned AutoCAD 2000 but hadn't touched it in years. Since I got my printer, I've been using Freecad for several months. Open source, totally free parametric modeler, pretty amazing what it can do. Joko Engineering makes really good tutorial videos on YouTube, sometimes comparing Freecad to solidworks and other CAD tools. Highly recommended.

I considered fusion 360, but don't care for the web based approach, and Autodesk can change their mind at any moment forcing you to pay.

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #106  
Click bait. You spent $2K on a printer, $5 in filament, 6 hours in CAD and print time to make a sub-standard $2 part because 3D printed plastic is brittle and useless for real useable parts. This forum could use a thumbs down button.

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #107  
Does anyone read before they start bashing, or just skim then bash?

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #108  
Does anyone read before they start bashing, or just skim then bash?

Great question.

I think it is a reflection of society. Folks have preconceived notions and immediately bash others if their views are different.

Education via reading is rare!

Also - unfortunately - being kind is becoming obsolete. The OP got the equipment, learned how to use it and made a part for his tractor. Good for him! Good job!

This is not life or death. It’s a tractor forum. Be kind and when possible be helpful.

MoKelly

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #109  
Click bait. You spent $2K on a printer, $5 in filament, 6 hours in CAD and print time to make a sub-standard $2 part because 3D printed plastic is brittle and useless for real useable parts. This forum could use a thumbs down button.
I don't think it's click bait. He's not pushing any agenda or links. It's a hobby that seems to be very interesting to a lot of people. I (and many others) have way more money wrapped up in other forms of learning/entertainment than the original poster has in this.

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #110  
He also didn't spend anywhere NEAR $2k on the printer, and didn't buy it specifically for this project. My guess is it has already paid for itself from his other uses, or it's getting close.

The time invested in learning how to use it notwithstanding.

I built a hot tub from a stock tank over the course of a few months this past winter. I saved very much over the cost of a new 8' hot tub, but I spent a lot of time getting it just right and figuring out certain aspects of the build. Some would say it wasn't worth it due to the time I put in researching and planning and learning (not to mention building-took a lot of trial and error to get the plumbing and pumps right to my auxiliary propane heater. It has a small electric heater which maintains heat while covered). That's similar to some of the arguments I see here about learning how to use the software. It is what it is and it's part of the process. For me it was well worth it. We wanted a hot tub so our pool area, pool house, and patio didn't go unused half the year. For things like this you have to determine the value for yourself.

IMG_20210417_161526359_HDR.jpg

It seems to me like OP was merely suggesting that if you happen to have a 3d printer you may be able to get some use out of it printing things for your tractor. Or if you've been interested in one but haven't quite seen enough need to justify it, maybe this is the push you need. I'm somewhat in that second camp. I don't feel like he's trying to tell us we all need to go out and buy one and learn how to use it OR ELSE!

Last edited: