New House Build in WA

/ New House Build in WA #31  
Great weather at this stage. The project is looking good. You must be pleased at this point with the results.

/ New House Build in WA #32  
Impressive dirt work. It's kind of funny to me how much I appreciate how flat somebody can make dirt!!!

/ New House Build in WA #33  
OMG, that's a lot of 4x4 posts!!!!! Here in Texas, just about everything is built on a solid concrete slab. I haven't seen pier and beam framing in decades, and I never saw anything like this before.

/ New House Build in WA #34  
Headed out your way this weekend. I’ll leave my hammer at home. Awesome progress and great weather for building.

/ New House Build in WA #35  
Who prints the measurements on the lumber? I just paid $8 for a framing stud. Does the printing add to the cost of each board?

/ New House Build in WA #36  
Wait, what? Why wouldn't you want to have a basement down there instead of all that huge wasted crawl space and ridiculous number of 4x4 posts? This is very odd to see while sitting here in climate and ground-stable Michigan.

/ New House Build in WA #37  
esp with a walk out.
Wait, what? Why wouldn't you want to have a basement down there instead of all that huge wasted crawl space and ridiculous number of 4x4 posts? This is very odd to see while sitting here in climate and ground-stable Michigan.

i am curious as well. lots of places here do not have basements due to the rock, but 4 foot stem walls and crawl space. usually a center load wall, 2x4 16 oc wall with some cross bracing on a concrete footer.

/ New House Build in WA #38  
This is the norm on the west coast, especially when building on a slope. The whole crawl space will be insulated, vapor barrier, sealed, and conditioned.
Which raises another question for me: It looks like if you just slid the house back 20 feet, you basically could have filled the dirt in and not really been "building on a slope". What would the foundation requirements in WA be like in that case?

/ New House Build in WA #39  
Thanks for explaining! Would a raw basement (but with stairs heading down and no egress) really be taxed all that much? So basically a rational set of choices let to having a bigger, fancier crawl space. How's the radon around there?

/ New House Build in WA #40  
its a bit crazy that they are so worried about tax revenue that you are not allowed to have unfinished space in a house.