New House Build in WA

JD 4520

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520
Great weather at this stage. The project is looking good. You must be pleased at this point with the results.

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
Impressive dirt work. It's kind of funny to me how much I appreciate how flat somebody can make dirt!!!

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
OMG, that's a lot of 4x4 posts!!!!! Here in Texas, just about everything is built on a solid concrete slab. I haven't seen pier and beam framing in decades, and I never saw anything like this before.

JD 4520

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520
Headed out your way this weekend. I’ll leave my hammer at home. Awesome progress and great weather for building.

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Who prints the measurements on the lumber? I just paid $8 for a framing stud. Does the printing add to the cost of each board?

deezler

Veteran Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7305, Kioti CK3510seh TLB
Wait, what? Why wouldn't you want to have a basement down there instead of all that huge wasted crawl space and ridiculous number of 4x4 posts? This is very odd to see while sitting here in climate and ground-stable Michigan.

herm0016

Platinum Member
Tractor
AC 5020
esp with a walk out.
Wait, what? Why wouldn't you want to have a basement down there instead of all that huge wasted crawl space and ridiculous number of 4x4 posts? This is very odd to see while sitting here in climate and ground-stable Michigan.

i am curious as well. lots of places here do not have basements due to the rock, but 4 foot stem walls and crawl space. usually a center load wall, 2x4 16 oc wall with some cross bracing on a concrete footer.

deezler

Veteran Member
Tractor
This is the norm on the west coast, especially when building on a slope. The whole crawl space will be insulated, vapor barrier, sealed, and conditioned.
Which raises another question for me: It looks like if you just slid the house back 20 feet, you basically could have filled the dirt in and not really been "building on a slope". What would the foundation requirements in WA be like in that case?

deezler

Veteran Member
Tractor
Thanks for explaining! Would a raw basement (but with stairs heading down and no egress) really be taxed all that much? So basically a rational set of choices let to having a bigger, fancier crawl space. How's the radon around there?

herm0016

Platinum Member
Tractor
AC 5020
its a bit crazy that they are so worried about tax revenue that you are not allowed to have unfinished space in a house.