Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #1  

Bdsankey

Tractor
Husqvarna YT48
I am looking for recommendations for a sub-compact or compact tractor. Right now my wife and I have a smaller property (1.2 acres). We have property that we will be building on in the next few years (15 acres with a ~600-800ft planned driveway). I am looking to get a front mount blower, front loader, and belly mower for the time being. We are planning a 1.5-2 acre finish cut area at this time. If I need a backhoe I will rent one. Another usage will be at my family cabin for doing some light work moving dirt and moving wood around.

I'd like to stick to a company that I can expect to have a long service life (IE 20-30 year part availability) which has really pointed me toward units like a JD 1025R or Kubota BX2680.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #2  
I am looking for recommendations for a sub-compact or compact tractor. Right now my wife and I have a smaller property (1.2 acres). We have property that we will be building on in the next few years (15 acres with a ~600-800ft planned driveway). I am looking to get a front mount blower, front loader, and belly mower for the time being. We are planning a 1.5-2 acre finish cut area at this time. If I need a backhoe I will rent one. Another usage will be at my family cabin for doing some light work moving dirt and moving wood around.

I'd like to stick to a company that I can expect to have a long service life (IE 20-30 year part availability) which has really pointed me toward units like a JD 1025R or Kubota BX2680.
The BX2680 is a fine sub-compact tractor. If you are looking at 15 acres I would seriously consider a compact tractor. They are a little bigger but this is a good thing. They are still light enough to tow easily. Kubota has several models under the EPA threshhold of 26 HP. Staying close to the 26 HP threshhold is a good idea except for those folks who need a heavier duty tractor. I don't like belly-mount mowers for myself. I use the tractor far more as a tractor and not so much for mowing. Dragging a belly-mount through the woods and uneven ground can be expensive. If you will be mowing around a lot of obstacles the 3-point mower can be a pain. My B2601 has a much stronger loader than you will have in the sub-compact and tractor weights are similar. Hopefully others will elaborate on the advantages of the compact over the subcompact.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations
Our goal is to leave most of the property wooded and only maintain the yard and driveway, maybe a small firing range where I could handle mowing that with either the belly or a 3 point. I am pretty familiar with the cut quality of the 1025R with the 7 iron deck as I've used our neighbors and it cuts far better than my older Husqvarna with a 48" fab deck.

Most of my mowing will be the yard. If I need to mow field/do tractor work I plan on taking the deck off which makes the drive over of the JD extremely enticing. I'm planning on using the mower on my current property now (~1.2 acres of lawn) until we finish construction which may be a few years.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #4  
Our goal is to leave most of the property wooded and only maintain the yard and driveway, maybe a small firing range where I could handle mowing that with either the belly or a 3 point. I am pretty familiar with the cut quality of the 1025R with the 7 iron deck as I've used our neighbors and it cuts far better than my older Husqvarna with a 48" fab deck.

Most of my mowing will be the yard. If I need to mow field/do tractor work I plan on taking the deck off which makes the drive over of the JD extremely enticing. I'm planning on using the mower on my current property now (~1.2 acres of lawn) until we finish construction which may be a few years.
The ground clearance of the compact tractor is valuable especially in your "wooded area" Both sub-compact tractors you noted have less ground clearance even without the belly mower on. Some of the expensive stuff on the bottom of the tractor is easily damaged in the woods.

The ground clearance of the compact tractor is valuable especially in your "wooded area" Both sub-compact tractors you noted have less ground clearance even without the belly mower on. Some of the expensive stuff on the bottom of the tractor is easily damaged in the woods.

What is the cut quality of a B2601's belly mower or is this a case of "let the dedicated mower be a mower", IE buy a dedicated mower for mowing and a tractor for tractor work?

On another note, it does appear that LS is currently running a promotion for a free loader...............

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #6  
What is the cut quality of a B2601's belly mower or is this a case of "let the dedicated mower be a mower", IE buy a dedicated mower for mowing and a tractor for tractor work?

On another note, it does appear that LS is currently running a promotion for a free loader...............
I don't have a lot of grass to cut. I was a licensed landscape contractor in 3 states and planted plenty of grass. On my own property, I get rid of most of the grass. I use a mower and leave the tractor for tractor work. The Kubota belly mower has excellent cutting quality, it's just a personal thing.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #7  
If you have a Yanmar dealer in your area
you might wanna check this tractor out SA324:

willy

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #9  

The cut quality of the B2601 w/60" MMM is very good and my B2601 is my dedicated mower. It might not be as good as the fabricated decks on ZT mowers but, its pretty darn good.

Mike

The cut quality of the B2601 w/60" MMM is very good and my B2601 is my dedicated mower. It might not be as good as the fabricated decks on ZT mowers but, its pretty darn good.

Mike

Guess I know the route I'm going. Overkill on my 1.2 acre lawn but when I buy a new mower here I'd rather buy once cry once.