Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #11  
I love having my little tractor on 6 acres, but I would go bigger by 1-2 sizes for 15 acres.
How dense are your trees and how much slope if any?
My neighbor has the next size up Kubota and he really likes that, but uses a ZTR for mowing.

With 15 acres, you may need to do tree cleanup and you might want trails in the future.
I can do those with my tractor and I love the BH for trenching and stumps. Great for planting trees and bushes too.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #12  
We have property that we will be building on in the next few years (15 acres with a ~600-800ft planned driveway).

For fifteen acres, especially fifteen acres on sloping ground or with hills, a wider, heavier tractor such as the Kubota MX series will be appropriate.

Buy for your needs now. You cannot stretch a JD 1025R or Kubota BX2680 to work fifteen acres.

Last edited:
   / Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations
My apologies. I am in Wisconsin. The properly is not overly hilly, nothing that a garden tractor couldn't maneuver.

I also am not trying to maintain 15 open acres, our intent is to leave ~10 wooded. The main usage will be misc projects, snow removal, and mowing. General land scaping to save using a wheelbarrow is realistic. I do not have intentions of using this to build the home or put in any major wire/utility runs.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #14  
My apologies. I am in Wisconsin. The properly is not overly hilly, nothing that a garden tractor couldn't maneuver.

I also am not trying to maintain 15 open acres, our intent is to leave ~10 wooded. The main usage will be misc projects, snow removal, and mowing. General land scaping to save using a wheelbarrow is realistic. I do not have intentions of using this to build the home or put in any major wire/utility runs.
If you are going to have a gravel driveway, a land leveler is the bomb! I love my 7' land leveler. Makes my rock seem like new and smooth as a regular concrete driveway.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #15  

You’ll probably be good with a smaller compact (like the B2601) for now, but if your plans change, like mine did, you’ll be buying a larger tractor...and that is why I own a B2601 and an L2501.

Mike

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #16  
I always say the size of your property doesn’t always control what you need, it’s what you are using it for. People here 15 acres and start recommending a larger tractor, you’ve made it clear you aren’t going to work the entire property.

That said i would still recommend a larger tractor. I had a Kubota BX for 10 years and a couple of years ago I bought a John Deere 2025r. I like the larger sized tires and bucket. It rides better and once you get used to it, doesn’t feel any bigger driving it.

I think in the long run you would be happier with the larger size of a smaller compact tractor in at least the 25hp range.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #17  
I also am NOT trying to maintain 15 open acres. Our intent is to leave ~10 wooded
The main usage will be misc projects: snow removal, and mowing. General land scaping to save using a wheelbarrow is realistic. I do not have intentions of using this to build the home or put in wire/utility runs.

For five acres to be worked with a tractor a <2,000 pound bare weight Kubota 'B' series is appropriate. An L2501, the lightest of the Kubota L series at 2,700 pounds bare weight would also serve, if you can forego the deLuxe features which come on the 'B' series, most importantly the front PTO.

Dinky subcompact tractor wheels drop into holes, disrupting traction. Larger wheels and tires supplied on heavier tractors bridge holes and ruts, increasing traction. Larger wheels and tires permit higher operating speed over uneven ground by reducing implement bounce and operator perturbation.

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third (for stability), rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

Last edited:
   / Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #18  
THe Yanmar 324 is a fine machine that I highly recommend.

I compared it to the B2601 / JD2025 and the Massey Ferguson 1526.
The Yanmar has a 10 Year warranty and was alot less $$. The JD is Yanmar-powered.
The others have a 3 range HST, tilt and speed control. Not enough to justify $thousands more.

My Dealer offered a "no-strings" tryout of the 324 for a week and gave a great trade in $.

IMG_0740 (1).JPG

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #19  
I always say the size of your property doesn’t always control what you need, it’s what you are using it for. People here 15 acres and start recommending a larger tractor, you’ve made it clear you aren’t going to work the entire property.

That said i would still recommend a larger tractor. I had a Kubota BX for 10 years and a couple of years ago I bought a John Deere 2025r. I like the larger sized tires and bucket. It rides better and once you get used to it, doesn’t feel any bigger driving it.

I think in the long run you would be happier with the larger size of a smaller compact tractor in at least the 25hp range.
Much agreed.

I’m on 5 acres of undeveloped forest and never owning land before, I was originally planning to buy a sub-compact, however neighbor’s, friends, coworkers and the dealer suggested larger, so I purchased a B2601 (it has been a fantastic tractor and experience) as a compromise. As time has gone on, I realized that the jobs I needed done were too big for the B2601, so I opted for a larger tractor, the L2501 and kept the B2601 as my primary mower and general land care machine.

I think the L2501 is pretty much the perfect machine for my tractor needs on my property, however, the larger Grand L or Mx wouldn’t be as ridiculous as I previously thought....

Mike

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #20  
THe Yanmar 324 is a fine machine that I highly recommend.

I compared it to the B2601 / JD2025 and the Massey Ferguson 1526.
The Yanmar has a 10 Year warranty and was alot less $$. The JD is Yanmar-powered.
The others have a 3 range HST, tilt and speed control. Not enough to justify $thousands more.

My Dealer offered a "no-strings" tryout of the 324 for a week and gave a great trade in $.

View attachment 698096
That depends on if and how much mowing you do with your machine...that 3 range transmission is a time saver in most cases...

Mike