New multi-purpose building

/ New multi-purpose building #1  

dnw64

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab
I would like to put up a new building on our residential property.

The purposes would be primarily four-fold:
  • Storage of "agricultural equipment" and "toys"
  • Workshop area for above
  • Office/doghouse room
  • Winery/brewery area.
Haven't completely settled on it yet, but somewhere around 40x60x14', possibly up to 50x75x16.

We had a Morton building put up about 20 years ago and were very happy with the whole ordeal. However, they are on the more expensive side, AND are currently booking into December, I was hoping for more like May. OK, maybe August or September...

I've looked at several steel building companies, but haven't gotten much good response. Looking for recommendations of specific suppliers/builders.

/ New multi-purpose building #2  
We had a Stockade 36 x 50 x 12, with (2) 25 x 10 porches, put up a couple years ago. I added a loft, woodshop, and metal shop inside using hand hewn posts & beams and siding that I reclaimed from a couple of my great great grandad's old 1883 barns. It turned out pretty good. I liked the 10 ft truss spacing on the Stockade shell.
20200606_150817.jpg
20200606_150715.jpg
20200606_151146.jpg

/ New multi-purpose building #3  
20210101_154840.jpg
20200606_151102.jpg
20210227_192152.jpg

The shell went up in 2018. I salvaged the "18" siding board from one of the old 1883 barns, and I used a jig saw to match the text for the "20" board.

/ New multi-purpose building
We had a Stockade 36 x 50 x 12, with (2) 25 x 10 porches, put up a couple years ago. I added a loft, woodshop, and metal shop inside using hand hewn posts & beams and siding that I reclaimed from a couple of my great great grandad's old 1883 barns. It turned out pretty good. I liked the 10 ft truss spacing on the Stockade shell.

Thanks for the lead, I've gotten in contact with them.

/ New multi-purpose building #6  
I would like to put up a new building on our residential property.

The purposes would be primarily four-fold:
  • Storage of "agricultural equipment" and "toys"
  • Workshop area for above
  • Office/doghouse room
  • Winery/brewery area.
Haven't completely settled on it yet, but somewhere around 40x60x14', possibly up to 50x75x16.

We had a Morton building put up about 20 years ago and were very happy with the whole ordeal. However, they are on the more expensive side, AND are currently booking into December, I was hoping for more like May. OK, maybe August or September...

I've looked at several steel building companies, but haven't gotten much good response. Looking for recommendations of specific suppliers/builders.
Go to a couple or few different websites of steel building suppliers and ask for information on a building similar to the size that you want and I guarantee you within two weeks they will be blowing up your email with offers of discounted buildings close to within your specs that a customer "special ordered" but backed out on! And they are in stock and ready to deliver.

/ New multi-purpose building
Go to a couple or few different websites of steel building suppliers and ask for information on a building similar to the size that you want and I guarantee you within two weeks they will be blowing up your email with offers of discounted buildings close to within your specs that a customer "special ordered" but backed out on! And they are in stock and ready to deliver.
Probably not right now - building of any kind is super-hot.

But I did have a somewhat similar situation. One of the places I contacted (metal) said they might be able to save me some money if I was flexible on size. They offered a very similar sized (slightly longer) that a customer had cancelled. But, they only had the main frame done, so it would be a 5-6 month lead time instead of the normal 10-12... All the other places I've talked to are 5-6 months from scratch... Oh, and instead of the original $95k it was only $59k.

/ New multi-purpose building #9  
I am green with envy. But there is a light. Hoping to get a decent shed underway B4 too long. Had an offer for the NZ property at last. Not as good as hoped but still within target. All going well hope to settle 1st July so then I can start all sorts of renovations here.

/ New multi-purpose building #10  
P
I am green with envy. But there is a light. Hoping to get a decent shed underway B4 too long. Had an offer for the NZ property at last. Not as good as hoped but still within target. All going well hope to settle 1st July so then I can start all sorts of renovations here.
Good luck on your renovations. I am almost done with mine. I still need to finish dismantling the last 1883 barn. I am going to use some of the sawed rafters from that for framing material, and some of the siding for enclosing the back porch of my new pole barn.

It sure will be nice to finish this project. I am glad I won't need to be buying any more lumber. In 2019, I bought 4x8 sheets of 7/16 OSB for $5 ea at Home Depot. I used that for covering the 1" thick "1883" chestnut roofing that I used for the flooring on my new loft. Now they charge about $50 ea for those.

Last edited: