Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,411  
A unilateral global warming fix is simply feel good stuff!
When India, and China act to participate in a fix, there might be meaningful improvements.
China is building one coal fired electric plant per week,.... while the USA is busy choking down 25HP+ tractors.
Pure childhood (Greta Thunberg) fantasy!
You have to start somewhere...

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#2,412  
Monday I drove 200 miles to look at my first EV and got home with it at 11pm that night. It is a 2016 Nissan Leaf SL. I wanted the 4 camera system for parking lots since I have no head rotation due to the Ankylosing Spondylitis for 40 years. Now I can see curbs, lines, etc on each side plus front and rear position of the car. The regen braking is awesome because it is like pouring gas into the tank instead of using the brakes. I am not going back to the old way if I can help it after putting my money where my mouth was. :)

The link below may be behind a pay wall for some because I got the message I had one free article left. I think like a few are free each month. We are so far behind China and Europe when it comes to EV's.

China Charges Ahead of U.S. in Building Pumps for Electric Cars

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
This from page 9. I agree EVS are hard to buy if you don't have money but that is true for buying a new gas car as well.

Our 2016 Leaf SL came from a Nissan dealership. They had it priced at retail book and I believe it might have been $18, 000. Since I was on my way to look at an older leaf I had 12,000 in cash on me when I decided to go to the Nissan dealership. I like the car and it had Seriously degraded battery and I laid the $12,000 on the salesman desk. About 20 minutes later the salesman came back and said $13,800 was as low as they would go but I could pay the rest by credit card. The salesperson assured me I would be in line for a new battery from Nissan under warranty very soon so I went for the deal.

5 Weeks later the battery health dropped below 65% triggering the warranty claim. In the meantime Nissan had started replacing the 107 mi range battery with 150 mi range battery. Effectively that meant I had 150 mi range 2020 EV for $14K with 25K miles.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,414  
Meh. Mail delivery carriers average 35 miles/day. There is no issue with "battery density" or charge time. This is well within caveman flooded lead-acid battery territory.

Researching data to back up the above I find this which says only 18 miles/day, 5288/year: Pushing the Envelope: The USPS Long Life Vehicle - Great Business Schools

I remember 40+ years ago when the USPS was auctioning "old" Jeep mail trucks prior to the LLV that very few had more than 18,000 miles.
A mail vehicle could also be set up with regenerative braking which would be a perfect use of an electric vehicle.
Even if they have a 75 mile range, they shouldn't have any problem handling a 30 to 40 mile route.

Aaron Z

#2,415  
No... I called my dealer about that; according to him few of these will be seen till end of 2022 or 23, I'm not waiting that long for a new truck.
That is interesting information and those dates makes sense based on what I'm reading. I expect the Ford dealerships find the release information a distraction.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,416  
Yup.
I wouldn’t mind owning EVs. Even without the debatable impacts on the environment you eloquently pointed out, I see their appeal. I am doing ok and although it’ll take a bite out of my wealth, I can probably swing it.
Its the people that can’t afford this, the poor, the young just getting started out, the forgotten people I feel for.
I wouldn't mind owning one either, but I need to be able to get to work at any hour of the day or night, even if it's snowing like crazy, so AWD is on my "must have" list.
I also need to be able to seat seven so that I can take kids plus a friend or cousin without having to meet my wife somewhere in trade cars.
Those two requirements knock out pretty much every electric vehicle out there and most of the hybrids.

Aaron Z

#2,417  
I wouldn't mind owning one either, but I need to be able to get to work at any hour of the day or night, even if it's snowing like crazy, so AWD is on my "must have" list.
I also need to be able to seat seven so that I can take kids plus a friend or cousin without having to meet my wife somewhere in trade cars.
Those two requirements knock out pretty much every electric vehicle out there and most of the hybrids.

Aaron Z
Sounds like Elon Musk was thinking of you when he built the seven-seater model Y.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,418  
Grease burners? Man, you must be living somewhere strange. We burn gas or diesel over here.
Just don’t complain when products delivered, farmed, logged, or manufactured arent there anymore. Maybe some people are fine living with their electric car, but products still have to be moved for civilizations to exist.
You think this theory of global warming only applies to cars? Lol... Your climate change science hero’s want everything changed to their “standards“ based on theories that have just as many qualified, intelligent doubters as supporters. Why aren’t the doubters voices being heard?
We can’t even get nuclear power plants built cause some minnow or frog might be impacted, but take all ICE cars away from people? All that does is force poor people to walk, ride bikes, take violent subways and takes away the freedom and upward mobility.
More benefits for the privileged class, while the working man suffers.
We need better, more accurate science. Not the junk science we got like when Covid hit.
Your so-called "doubters" are just in denial. Anthropogenic Global Warming is established fact, and the proof is simple, while the effects are measurable. They are so terrified by the necessity to change their habits that they make up all sorts of ridiculous scenarios.

When in doubt,
Run about,
Scream and shout.

Imagine that nobody makes any gassers after 2035. The typical car stays on the road for at least a decade, so you will be able to drive your Camaro for at least another quarter century. As much as the "climate change heroes" might like it, batteries will never be practical for heavy hauling, so your feller-buncher and your 400 hp tractor will still run on diesel, though it might be bio diesel. I suspect long haul shipping will go back onto rail where it belongs. Railroads are easy to electrify. Most of the world has done it. The only diesel train I rode on in Europe was a one car diesel trolley on a spur line to Bastogne.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,419  
You have to start somewhere...
We started years ago, and China & India have been quickly following?
Have another glass of global warming Kool-Aid!

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,420  

Aaron Z
That passenger capability used to be an issue for us as well. Now that the kids are grown and rarely together anymore, and my father in-law has passed, the most we usually have is 5 and sometimes 6. 5 comfortably means bigger vehicle. 6 means Suburban stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.