Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,431  
Sounds like Elon Musk was thinking of you when he built the seven-seater model Y.

I can buy a lot of fuel for my current $6,000 car for the price difference between that and a model Y...

Nuclear in America is still the victim of 1960s technology, which was messy and unsafe. America is stuck in a hole, but other countries, mostly in Asia, are building out 21st century reactors. China and India are leading the world in nuclear technology.
A lot of the reactors being built over in China are being built by US companies I have a friend who has spent a fair amount of time over there working on building various reactors for them.

Aaron Z

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,432  
Fossil fuel prices is a factor of supply and demand not what somebody wants it to be. People's love or hate of something is not what determines the international price of crude.

The demand for fossil fuel products is going to do nothing but increase for many decades.
Why would oil prices increase. I thought the world was going to EV and demand for fossil fuels would decrease, or are you contradicting you rhetoric? Will we be using fossil fuels to produce electricity?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,433  
Why would oil prices increase. I thought the world was going to EV and demand for fossil fuels would decrease, or are you contradicting you rhetoric? Will we be using fossil fuels to produce electricity?
Supply and demand. Oil companies have decided oil is a loser, so they have cut exploration and development to the bone. Wells run dry all the time. They can pump their available supplies tax free thanks to the depletion allowance, so doubling or tripling the price of crude is a win-win for them. Plus, they don't have to expand or build those expensive refineries, which puts even more profits in their pockets. They are not in the oil business, they are in the profits business.

Meanwhile, Americans will get tired of $6/gallon gasoline or diesel, and EV sales will explode. Welcome to the future.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,434  
I think where a lot of people disagree with that statement is when government tips the scales by forcing changes on us through regulations. There are as many scientists that say man made global warming IS NOT true as say it IS true.
Curious where you found that information. Support for anthropogenic climate change is overwhelming in the scientific community and it has been for a very long time. Even the most pessimistic estimates put it 4 out of 5: Fact Checking The Claim Of 97% Consensus On Anthropogenic Climate Change

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,435  
Just curious...anyone read the fine print in their EV liability insurance policies ?
I wonder how long before someone gets sued (or even criminally charged) for causing an accident because their battery died...

I know it happens with vehicles that have run out of gas and cause accidents...with the limited ranges of EVs I suspect insurance companies will react...

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,436  
Supply and demand. Oil companies have decided oil is a loser, so they have cut exploration and development to the bone. Wells run dry all the time. They can pump their available supplies tax free thanks to the depletion allowance, so doubling or tripling the price of crude is a win-win for them. Plus, they don't have to expand or build those expensive refineries, which puts even more profits in their pockets. They are not in the oil business, they are in the profits business.

Meanwhile, Americans will get tired of $6/gallon gasoline or diesel, and EV sales will explode. Welcome to the future.
According to your statement, the price of electricity will go up and that is what we all fear. I have an all electric home(geothermal) and when I retire I hope to be able to afford to heat my home.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#2,437  
EVs are at least 20 years away from leading to a net decrease in demand for fossil fuel. EV usage is a concept today not a reality. Most baby boomers will not be around when EVs become a world wide reality.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,438  
The coming hundred dollar Plus oil prices will cease this needless debate over climate change because we'll do it for economical reasons only.
Some would argue we’d be there already if not for all the government handouts to the oil and gas industry. I don’t see that happening in our lifetime though. Everybody hates subsidies right up until they start working in their favor.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,439  
According to your statement, the price of electricity will go up and that is what we all fear. I have an all electric home(geothermal) and when I retire I hope to be able to afford to heat my home.
I don't know how you got that from what I wrote. The price of fossil fuels will go up, and coal fired plants are already money losers for utility companies. Newly constructed power plants will be cheaper to build and cheaper to operate, with no fuel costs and without the horrible waste problem of coal fired plants.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,440  
EVs are at least 20 years away from leading to a net decrease in demand for fossil fuel. EV usage is a concept today not a reality. Most baby boomers will not be around when EVs become a world wide reality.
Whew! Now I have plenty of time to roll more coal :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.