Swimming Pool options

/ Swimming Pool options #111  
Our pool is only open about 4 months maximum each year. In fall, we drain it down about a foot to just below the skimmer and return, dump in 6 bottles of bleach or pool sanitizer, depending on what's on sale, a bit of algaecide, and put the cover on. We never add anything over the winter. In spring, 8 months later, we remove the cover, top off the water, ad 2 bags of salt (about $10-$12), a couple gallons of bleach or sanitizer, some CYA, some algaecide, and go swimming.

Once a week I check the levels of chlorine to make sure the SWG is functioning correctly, and add a dose of algaecide. And that's about it for the rest of the summer. No additional chemicals are added except algaecide, unless we have a rain event that overflows the pool, or a dead animal, or, as I've mentioned before.... the dreaded infant in a diaper! TERROR!!! o_O

/ Swimming Pool options #114  
My pool is up and running all year, only warm enough to swim maybe June to September, we closed it up the first year and didn't think it was worth the hassle. The only time I seem to get any algae is in October for what ever reason, and the only time I use algicide. As long as my water temp is over 55 my SWG does its job, when it is not I feed it the chlorine pills.
Oh, and as of yet I have not had any kids in it...

/ Swimming Pool options #115  
My SWG was $129! :ROFLMAO: It's from an Intex inflatable pool, adapted to my needs. I'm looking for another one now, but they are now closer to $300. At that price, I'll put the $300 towards a better unit.
How many gallons is your pool?

/ Swimming Pool options #117  
My pool is up and running all year, only warm enough to swim maybe June to September, we closed it up the first year and didn't think it was worth the hassle. The only time I seem to get any algae is in October for what ever reason, and the only time I use algicide. As long as my water temp is over 55 my SWG does its job, when it is not I feed it the chlorine pills.
Oh, and as of yet I have not had any kids in it...
Ours freezes solid for several months. And the leaves in fall, yikes. As soon as I see leaves turning we start closing up.

/ Swimming Pool options #118  
What generator upkeep costs? Why more pump parts/maintenance ? Salt cost might be 50 bucks a year if we have a lot of rain. I've had no generator upkeep costs or any parts or maintenance costs on my pump at all... maybe he sold you a line.. and lots of chlorine.
never bought chlorine from him.. He's been in the pool business for over 50 yrs. I don't know what up keep he was talking about. It uses some type wear parts if it has to have electricity to operate

/ Swimming Pool options #119  
And why did you edit my quote in your reply? I never wrote those last two sentences, you did.
I see what you're talking about .. I didn't edit it. I don't know how my reply got in your quote.
I'm still learning the way the site has changed.
I have to log in each time I visit the page.
I haven't been on long enough to navigate the page..

Last edited:
   / Swimming Pool options #120  
Not everyone is a multimillionaire. Your annual electric bill is likely considerably more than I paid for my house and property.
I've never noticed my salt water pool drawing that much current. There've been times I've had the pump off for a couple of weeks with no noticeable reduction in my bill, though my bill is large for other reasons. Now turning on the air conditioner, _that_ jack up the bill quickly. But the pool chlorinator? Not so much.