Cab for allergy suppression?

/ Cab for allergy suppression? #1  

DeerPark5

Tractor
John Deere 3033R, 1025R
I'm slowly escalating my tractor purchase...2032 then a 3033 now a 3039.. That's based on dirt work I have to get done and the retaining walls we're planning. My consideration now is a cab. I have allergies and will have to mow a 4.5-acre field now and then after significant dirt work and landscaping near the home site. I had a Curtis cab with heat only on a Kubota L3830 years ago and it was "ok."
Questions: How "tight" are the JD factory cabs? How much do they help with allergies? Do the cabs "wear well" over time or do they start to lose their "seal?" Should I consider more horsepower to run the cab AC etc?

/ Cab for allergy suppression? #2  
Good luck with that. Every point of ingress that the control levers make into the cab is a point of ingress for outside air (and filth) to get in.

/ Cab for allergy suppression? #3  
Good luck with that. Every point of ingress that the control levers make into the cab is a point of ingress for outside air (and filth) to get in.
Hate that the first reply was a troll.
Yes factory JD cab is a Godsend if you have allergies. It will stay as tight and clean as the effort you put into maintenance. Yes there are lots of openings but they will all have boots / grommets to seal them. Just check them every once in awhile and don’t be afraid to use a zip tie or a little silicone to seal something up if needed. Check your doors and windows every once in awhile and make sure nothing is loose and latches are adjusted. Keep your ac filters clean and make sure whatever retainer used to hold them stays snug. If you keep it parked outside all the time expect the rubber door and window seals to degrade faster than they would if covered and not left out in the sun.

/ Cab for allergy suppression? #4  
Keeping the fan on and drawing air from the outside AND THROUGH THE CABIN FILTERS will keep the cab pressurized and air moving OUT through any open spaces or voids. You may be able to source HD or anti-pollen cabin filters from the tractor manufacturer or places like Gemplers.

/ Cab for allergy suppression? #5  
Actually, the best method for mitigating ingress of outside air is keeping the ac (or heat in the winter) on 'fresh' rather than 'recirculate'. That pressurizes the cab and keeps the stuff out. The issue with that is, you will have to clean the evap and heater core regularly because no matter how good your filtration system is, a certain amount of filth will find it's way to the cores and eventually cause reduced air flow. I clean mine yearly and so does my buddy down the road. he has a fleet of JD tractors and every one gets the cores cleaned every spring.

You can tell, by the smell when they need cleaned.

I also would suggest canning the stock filter (pleated paper) and replacing it with an activated carbon filter used for spray applications.

Every time you open the door, you let in outside air and the dust and pollen in it.

/ Cab for allergy suppression? #6  
My allergies disappear when in the cab of a Deere 8420 which is a full size tractor. I think a lot of the effectiveness is determined by the filter.

/ Cab for allergy suppression? #8  
Keeping the fan on and drawing air from the outside AND THROUGH THE CABIN FILTERS will keep the cab pressurized and air moving OUT through any open spaces or voids. You may be able to source HD or anti-pollen cabin filters from the tractor manufacturer or places like Gemplers.
Pretty expensive. My dealer sells spray rated activated carbon Kubota OEM filters for about 1/2 that.

/ Cab for allergy suppression? #9  
As others have said, run your a/c with the fan on a higher speed to pressurize the interior of the cab. The cab air filter will filter out the allergens...and the dust....and the bugs. Love the cab on my Kubota; I'm sure the JD cab will work the same.

/ Cab for allergy suppression? #10  
As others have said, run your a/c with the fan on a higher speed to pressurize the interior of the cab. The cab air filter will filter out the allergens...and the dust....and the bugs. Love the cab on my Kubota; I'm sure the JD cab will work the same.
You will until it's time to clean the cores. That is when the 'fun' starts. So tell me, is your HVAC components under the seat or above the headliner, not that either is a joy to access or clean for that matter....and you will clean them at some point, or pay your dealer to do it.

I'm pretty sure that JD, NH and the rest is just as user unfriendly as Kubota's are.