Lynch Pins Coming Off

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off
I find using a quick hitch where I don't need to use lynch pins solved the problem, but not all my equipment can use the the quick hitch, plus I have to use an extender on the PTO shaft. Try closing the ring on the lynch pin with the sloped side away from center. They seem to not open up and fall out that way.
I’ll try that, thank you!

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #132  
I have put this story on here before. And it really wasn't the lynch pin but the result would be the same.

About twenty years ago my then 70-something mother called me and in a panicked voice told me to come to her house right now. I figured she had shot somebody or something and broke all speed limits getting there. To make a long story short the lynch pin hadn't come off, but the nut holding the bolt on the left 3-pt had come off. The result was the same as the lynch pin being lost. She had reached the end of the field and turned sharply holding the left brake and the mower had caught on the left tire. By the time she got the tractor stopped the mower was resting against the left time and the blade had cut thru the tire three times. When I got on the tractor, and a 4600 Ford is tall for it's hp, I could reach out my arm and grab the blade while facing forward on the tractor. Had to pull the mower off the tractor with my truck, have a guy come out and replace the tire, and straighten the lower arms using a torch.

When mowing I check my pins every time I get off my tractor.

RSKY

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off
I have put this story on here before. And it really wasn't the lynch pin but the result would be the same.

About twenty years ago my then 70-something mother called me and in a panicked voice told me to come to her house right now. I figured she had shot somebody or something and broke all speed limits getting there. To make a long story short the lynch pin hadn't come off, but the nut holding the bolt on the left 3-pt had come off. The result was the same as the lynch pin being lost. She had reached the end of the field and turned sharply holding the left brake and the mower had caught on the left tire. By the time she got the tractor stopped the mower was resting against the left time and the blade had cut thru the tire three times. When I got on the tractor, and a 4600 Ford is tall for it's hp, I could reach out my arm and grab the blade while facing forward on the tractor. Had to pull the mower off the tractor with my truck, have a guy come out and replace the tire, and straighten the lower arms using a torch.

When mowing I check my pins every time I get off my tractor.

RSKY
Wow! Thanks for sharing your story. That's proof that damage can and will happen instantly.

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #136  
Interesting thread ...have learned a lot may have to try the padlock idea on the lift pins at some point.

Have had both lynch pins and R-style cotter pins come out before and in places where I don't need to change it I've gone with safety wire. The lynch pin was on top of caster on my finish mower; fortunately it was one of the rear ones so when the caster fell out it didn't go through the mower. Talked to the dealer to get suggestions and found out that some had the same thing happen, but it went through the mower.... and that some even had bolts with double nuts come off.

That's when it hit me to combine the practice of safety wiring things from aviation to tractors .... and bought this kit:

Which makes wiring things shut really simple since wire twisting pliers can make some pretty decent/consist twists in wire.

The R-style cotter pin that came out was on the pin holding hydraulic cylinder to the grapple lid .... pretty sure it was pulled out by a branch. Luckily I found the main pin back (though not the cotter pin) .... and that's when wired the cotter pin closed and onto the main pin.

I figure if the wire can be used to keep the bolts holding airplane propellers in place, then it'd probably work for keeping lynch pins in place on a finish mower. I probably went a bit overboard with the wiring the lynch pins shut on the finish mower (4yrs ago), but I haven't had them come off since. :cool:(y)
0624171456_HDR.jpg

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off
Interesting thread ...have learned a lot may have to try the padlock idea on the lift pins at some point.

Have had both lynch pins and R-style cotter pins come out before and in places where I don't need to change it I've gone with safety wire. The lynch pin was on top of caster on my finish mower; fortunately it was one of the rear ones so when the caster fell out it didn't go through the mower. Talked to the dealer to get suggestions and found out that some had the same thing happen, but it went through the mower.... and that some even had bolts with double nuts come off.

That's when it hit me to combine the practice of safety wiring things from aviation to tractors .... and bought this kit:

Which makes wiring things shut really simple since wire twisting pliers can make some pretty decent/consist twists in wire.

The R-style cotter pin that came out was on the pin holding hydraulic cylinder to the grapple lid .... pretty sure it was pulled out by a branch. Luckily I found the main pin back (though not the cotter pin) .... and that's when wired the cotter pin closed and onto the main pin.

I figure if the wire can be used to keep the bolts holding airplane propellers in place, then it'd probably work for keeping lynch pins in place on a finish mower. I probably went a bit overboard with the wiring the lynch pins shut on the finish mower (4yrs ago), but I haven't had them come off since. :cooly)View attachment 704059

Thanks so much for your input! I did purchase some padlocks, bolts and nuts and also safety wire with pliers through Amazon. I started using the wire yesterday on some pins I don’t take off much and it seems sturdy enough! I haven’t used the bolts yet or the padlocks but the padlocks are definitely going on the front of my lift arms. Thanks for the photo also!

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #138  
Yes this has been a problem for me also. Mainly on the belly mower when mowing up under pine trees. I destroyed two wheels (and a blade) when I ran over the wheel
I have used zzvyb6 's remedy for some time. Bolts with nylon lock nut where pins have a tendency to come out.

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off
Yes this has been a problem for me also. Mainly on the belly mower when mowing up under pine trees. I destroyed two wheels (and a blade) when I ran over the wheel
I have used zzvyb6 's remedy for some time. Bolts with nylon lock nut where pins have a tendency to come out.

I hate to see so many folks having the same problem but I’m kinda glad it’s not just me. I was kind of feeling like I was doing something wrong. Thanks for your input!

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #140  
When you all were talking about safety wire my mind went to rebar wire ties. They are very cheap and quick. The aviation wire tire is better but expensive. This video will show them on rebar but transfer the info to the lynch pins.