Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact?

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #1  

Root Cause

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638
I am clearing land with a 2638 Mahindra. I would like a 6' box blade to further reduce the cost of having someone do the finish work.
Next year, I am thinking a smaller compact will maintain the drive and clear a tree on occasion. IF that puts 5-10k back in my pocket, then I will do so.
(if the economy holds, I am guessing I can pretty easily trade down with someone unhappy with a compact)

So, the question is, can a compact handle the 6' or should I temporarily live with a 5' blade.

Thanks for any advice.

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #2  
Depends on how much smaller of a compact.

If you are talking something Kubota b or bx, or Deere 1000-2000 series, I don't think I'd want a 6.

But you can get a 6 now....and trade that down later too if it don't work with the smaller machine. But without knowing when....or even if you are gonna trade down on tractors (things come up and plans always change)...I'd get the 6 now

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #3  
As tractors do not have down pressure on the TPH, the weight per unit of width is the key metric for how well a Box Blade will cut moist soil. Therefore most buy heavy for effectiveness.

A replacement, lighter tractor will likely stall out.

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #4  
Yes, "compact" gives you a lot of room to move around in size and weight of tractor. Technically my tractor is a "compact", but it's also really heavy for it's class size. Bare chassis weight is 4200 lbs and with FEL + bucket + box blade + filled rear tires it weighs 7100 lbs.

I have no problem pulling a 6' box blade full of dirt or gravel even with the rippers down all the way. Now if I was working with a "compact" tractor at half my weight, then I don't think I would be able to pull a fully loaded 6' box.

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #5  
Works for me. I'm running a New Holland TC33DA with a bush hog brand 72" box scraper.

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #6  
My Bobcat CT2025 is 2600lb bare, over 4000lb with loaded tires and FEL. I’ve only used the 6’ box blade briefly, but could pull it up about 8-10 degree slope on my roughed in driveway that is packed clay and gravel base. I only lost traction when I caught a larger rock imbedded in the clay.

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #7  
If you are used to the size tractor you have now, trading down might disappoint down the road. I contemplated doing this a couple of years ago but did not. I test drove the smaller tractors and realized the loss of hp and strength would not suit me in the long run. Just something to consider.

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #8  
I worked on reclaiming an old gravel driveway with a heavy 6' box blade behind my Kubota 2650 last week. I got the job done, but it was really too much for the weight and HP of the B. I also pull a 7' rake behind the same tractor and it does a remarkable job. When I have the rake canted to a windrow position, it really reduces the width.

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #9  
I bought a 6' blade for my GC2610 because it was a bargain. While it will rip my drive, it stalls out if the material in the box becomes 1/2 full. I'd gladly trade someone for a 5 footer and may someday get around to cutting it down, but it does the job I need it to.

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #10  
I bought a 6' blade for my GC2610 because it was a bargain. While it will rip my drive, it stalls out if the material in the box becomes 1/2 full. I'd gladly trade someone for a 5 footer and may someday get around to cutting it down, but it does the job I need it to.
I have a 5' Land Pride that I would trade for your 6' box blade. I'm in Kansas so just bring it along next time you're down this way. :)