Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,571  
No they do a pretty good job of listing them all. Supercharger stations are proprietary to Tesla and only work on Tesla vehicles. Apparently there are no charging adapter standards (the plug or the Voltage/Amps) so its the Wild West. Perhaps one place a government mandated standard would benefit us.
I imagine the uptake on gasoline vehicles would have been much slower, if different manufacturers insisted used proprietary fill nozzles.

Legacy mindset from gasoline, that affects even EVers...... gasoline is so ubiquitous that for the areas most people travel, very few people ever consider "will there be a gas station ?". Given the build it and they will come aspect of Superchargers, I couldn't imagine that Tesla would not list them all.

I suspected as much with EVs today (plug etc standards).... hadn't gone off researching that issue, but as that's more typical of the 'Valley than Detroit, I'm not surprised.

Disappointed, but not surprised.

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,572  
Yours is a question I've been waiting to see addressed. It's 200 miles to my mother's house... apparently just about the range of most EVs. If I drive down at night, how does running headlights, heat, and windshield wipers affect that range? If there's an accident on the highway and I'm stuck there for an hour; what powers the heater? (and dome light, so that I don't get run into.)
I try not to let my fuel tank get below 1/2 for those reasons, for me an EV is pushing the envelope and goes against every survival tool that I use.
Tapping away today about Winter conditions, I was thinking about roadside issues.

Used to be common practice on major Toronto expressways - highway was patrolled by trucks with gas cans on-board. Somebody ran out of gas, they'd throw a gallon or 2 in your tank for free, just to quickly clear you off the road. I'll miss that immediacy of hydrocarbons, if they do disappear in my lifetime.

Like you, I don't let my tanks run low, esp. in Winter. All that extra power has to come from somewhere, ICE or Battery.

Worst case, running low on gas or diesel in the country...... I could pull into a big farm "hey, sorry to be a pain, but can I pay you cash (I still carry that legacy sfuff) for 20-40 L of fuel". Cash exchanged, 10 minutes later, I'm out of their hair.

Vs. "Hey, do you mind clearing all that stuff out of your service shop, so I can park near your Welder outlet for 2 hours ? ".

As I'm loathe to ask for help in general, I couldn't see myself doing option 2.....

Fossil fuel is an addiction, but a very versatile and capable one.....

I've been banging on about Winter travel (for good reason), but obviously heat is a non-trivial issue as well. Roads get more disruptions typically in Winter, but all it takes is one major accident in the Summer to close a highway.

While I don't use mine much up here, after having been in the American SW during the Summer I get that A/C is critical.

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,573  
Yours is a question I've been waiting to see addressed. It's 200 miles to my mother's house... apparently just about the range of most EVs. If I drive down at night, how does running headlights, heat, and windshield wipers affect that range? If there's an accident on the highway and I'm stuck there for an hour; what powers the heater? (and dome light, so that I don't get run into.)
I try not to let my fuel tank get below 1/2 for those reasons, for me an EV is pushing the envelope and goes against every survival tool that I use.
What happens if you are on a trip in your EV and while stuck in a typical NYC or WDC traffic jam, your EV battery goes dead? 1000 cars, bumper to bumper behind you and in front of you?
Who/how will they get to you to recharge you?
Cynical, but it’s more of a problem than one thinks.
You can’t just “add a few gallons” to an EV. It takes time to access the vehicle and recharge while blocking traffic.
Others are bound to go dead in the ensuing wait while the original dead vehicle is waiting for/to an emergency charge.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,574  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,576  
You become a roadside attraction.
Cute answer, but it’s going to be more of a middle of the road attraction.
There’s nowhere to go!

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,577  
Cute answer, but it’s going to be more of a middle of the road attraction.
There’s nowhere to go!
In theory if you aren't moving you won't be using power. (You don't need AC in the middle of the city in your state do you?) They're starting to build gas vehicles which shut off after 30 seconds of idling... going against everything I've ever learned about letting the oil pressure get up before stepping on the gas. Most people that I know use the bypass button for that feature.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#3,578  
BYD Celebrates Production Of 100,000th Han

BYD also builds electric buses ( one factory in CA) and garbage trucks as well. Warren Buffett has done well with his 10% investment over the years. Toyota is jumping into battery only EVs by using the BYD (Build Your Dream) skate board to put under their car bodies. BYD and Tesla are similar in some ways.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,579  
In theory if you aren't moving you won't be using power. (You don't need AC in the middle of the city in your state do you?) They're starting to build gas vehicles which shut off after 30 seconds of idling... going against everything I've ever learned about letting the oil pressure get up before stepping on the gas. Most people that I know use the bypass button for that feature.
You ever been in DC in the summer? Last time we were there, about 7-8 years ago, it was 100F on the mall. Stopped in traffic on a 5 lane for a couple hours in any major metro area in temps over 85 could get brutal very fast.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,580  
It’s a future problem that nobody seems to address.
Maybe a drone can hover over dead cars and recharge?
Wont work in tunnels…

Status
Not open for further replies.