Texas Spring/Summer Thread

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #7,061  
Last Friday, my propane company finally installed and filled my 1,000 gallon propane tank. Yesterday, the electrical guys came out and connected the transfer switch up and tested the generator. I am ready for hot or cold power failures now. Watching the tranfer test was worth the price for it all to me. 5 second delay, then the generator kicks in. I was told the 790 gallons in the tank will run the Kohler for about 2 weeks. But I have to change oil every 100 hours.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #7,062  
Don't y'all have natural gas access? No worries about a tank or running out.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #7,063  
Last Friday, my propane company finally installed and filled my 1,000 gallon propane tank. Yesterday, the electrical guys came out and connected the transfer switch up and tested the generator. I am ready for hot or cold power failures now. Watching the tranfer test was worth the price for it all to me. 5 second delay, then the generator kicks in. I was told the 790 gallons in the tank will run the Kohler for about 2 weeks. But I have to change oil every 100 hours.
hugs, Brandi
Brandi, running an engine on super clean propane helps keeps the oil clean for extended periods. But if dusty environment, change oil frequently.
You should get rain soon.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #7,064  
hugs, Brandi
Congratulations! I hope you stay comfortable now.

There is also the first month/20 hour oil change, and some break-in loading, I think. I learned the hard way that when doing the generator exercise testing, it is worth loading the generator up to full load to burn off residual oils and load seals.

I don't know if it helps on the oil change interval, but I do the mental math to compare to a car on a freeway. 100 hours times 55mph is 5,500 miles between oil changes. Personally, I file it in the "worth doing on time" category, even if the weather conditions are ugly.

YMMV...

All the best,

Peter

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #7,067  
Congratulations! I hope you stay comfortable now.

There is also the first month/20 hour oil change, and some break-in loading, I think. I learned the hard way that when doing the generator exercise testing, it is worth loading the generator up to full load to burn off residual oils and load seals.

I don't know if it helps on the oil change interval, but I do the mental math to compare to a car on a freeway. 100 hours times 55mph is 5,500 miles between oil changes. Personally, I file it in the "worth doing on time" category, even if the weather conditions are ugly.

YMMV...

All the best,

Peter
The guys installing it ran it for 5 hours before bringing it out. The Kohler is rated to change oil every 100 hours, or 50 hours if ran that long. I really don't know what you are trying to convey by mentioning mental math and comparing it to a car on a freeway. Running at steady RPMs is nothing like an automobile engine with constant rpm changes.
I was an A&P mechanic (still am, as the license is good until revoked) for 43 years, with the last 28 years with Southwest Airlines. I know more about using hours than miles. Who drives 55 anyway??????????????????????
Brandi

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #7,068  
Brandi, running an engine on super clean propane helps keeps the oil clean for extended periods. But if dusty environment, change oil frequently.
You should get rain soon.
Hey Kyle! Yep, just like running it on jet fuel. Makes it way harder to check oil levels.
No rain yet.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #7,070  
25_cent_score,
We will see how much preventative maintenance the tarp will need. How is your JD 110 doing?
hugs, Brandi
Thanks! And glad to hear things are going well with you. Im using the 110 frequently. Moved it from the farm to a place in town. Taking my time clearing out an area behind the house there. Also move it over to another couple places from time to time for moving cut trees and brush.
Took down a large pecan tree and have some decent sized chunks. I need to load one up for a guy in Central Texas who makes cutting boards, bowls, etc. The chunk is so heavy I’ll need the forks to lift it onto the trailer.

Attachments

• 311EF6D0-CEC1-40F4-8E11-0AF6B276495B.jpeg
    311EF6D0-CEC1-40F4-8E11-0AF6B276495B.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 73