Formal Training?

/ Formal Training? #71  
My education was on the farm year round,todays equipment more high tech and teaching good thing.

/ Formal Training? #72  
In high school, 76-77, I walked to school with books in one hand, shot gun in the other. I was in Rifle Club. Some kids brought their shot guns on the bus. We would put them in the trunk of the driver ed car. After school we would shuttle over to the local sportmans club to shoot clays. Fast forward to today , The kid next door drew a picture of a rifle and had to go to the Principals office. Do they even have shop anymore?
I went to college with my 30-30 in the rear window of my pickup truck. Try that today

/ Formal Training? #74  
In high school, 76-77, I walked to school with books in one hand, shot gun in the other. I was in Rifle Club. Some kids brought their shot guns on the bus. We would put them in the trunk of the driver ed car. After school we would shuttle over to the local sportmans club to shoot clays. Fast forward to today , The kid next door drew a picture of a rifle and had to go to the Principals office. Do they even have shop anymore?

I went to college with my 30-30 in the rear window of my pickup truck. Try that today

I took the forearm and stalk of a .410 to wood class and the rest of it to metals class for refinishing.

/ Formal Training? #75  
When my Mom passed, we were cleaning out some of her stuff.

She had old high school books, reports and grades.

She took a class as a senior called “How to be an ideal housewife”. You can imagine the chapters in the book - cooking, cleaning, making the beds, laundry, dressing, make-up and hair styling.

It was something to see.

She got an A!!!

MoKelly
i remember, in high school, late 60s, a female friend showed me her home ec book. One of the chapters regarding marriage was titled.....How to Find a Good Provider.

Then along came Oprah, now they are confused.

/ Formal Training? #76  
The year I was old enough to enter FFA the instructor retired. The school would not hire another instructor even though there was enough interest. I spoke with the original instructor and he was not coming out of retirement. But, he helped me enroll in a vocational class and provided me with the books and manuals they used in FFA and the vocational class was set up to more or less be self taught except for when you were on the actual job. I worked in a feed mill as my job and taught myself, with the aide of the FFA instructors books and manuals. It must have worked because I started in Ag Mechanics and moved on to Heavy , then comercial/industrial equipment from there . I have never been without work, some years were a little more lean than others, but the rent was paid and food on the table.

/ Formal Training? #77  
I took a year of “Farm Implements and Equipment” in Junior High. I was living in semi rural Oregon, and the state had a ”Farm Implements” license you could get at 14, if you had formal training in how to operate equipments and implements safely. You could work the family farm without it. But, to go run equipment for anyone else you had to have the license. Thus the Junior and Senior High schools had classes. And, the teacher signed off on your training. I took it so I could start driving tractors and counting flats, on the berry farms, instead of picking fruit.

Out of curiosity how many folks have had any kind of formal training on their equipment and attachments?
I live in Mississippi and I'm old so things may have changed but, we had no such training when I was in school. We were all " hands on " . Not a bad idea though .

/ Formal Training? #78  
Well,, times have changed. Back in the 70s you couldn't open carry a handgun and now you can in many places.

Still can't open carry a 40 here, though.

C9382516-2EFF-46F2-9136-108C0ACD67A6.jpeg

/ Formal Training? #79  
I had a class in college called "Farm power and equipment." Focused mainly on power needed to do plowing, etc and the best size and cost equipment to operate. Had a lot of math calculations about hp and fuel use per acre - included a trip to the local Massey Ferguson dealership.

Last edited: