Heaviest attachments

/ Heaviest attachments #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
So, I as my thoughts evolve around a trailer...I am convinced given my needs that I will only use a trailer for light duty. No need to move tractor off of my place and willing to pay dealer if needed. But, I will need a smaller trailer for various tasks and likely for picking up lumber and such in town. It got me thinking that if I going to buy additional implements I may need to transport them...thinking about one that does not ship free to Texas, bit does 80 miles from me in Texarkana, AR...so all of that got me to thinking about how heavy something I would use on a 50HP or less CUT may weigh. I could do a bunch of research, but y'all seem to have this stuff down. So how about it, what attachments are really heavy and how heavy are they?

/ Heaviest attachments #2  
If you are referring to EA they shipped for free to my business in Longview TX. Also if you price what they would charge vs a freight company you will find they are much cheaper. Why not pay the extra couple hundred and have it delivered to your place?

/ Heaviest attachments
Nice. Wife used to work in Longview. She still goes for work once in a while. It is a little closer than Texarkana, too. I think they only ship free to businesses, but you can work something out. They are not going to come out to my place, too remote.

/ Heaviest attachments #4  
So, I as my thoughts evolve around a trailer...I am convinced given my needs that I will only use a trailer for light duty. No need to move tractor off of my place and willing to pay dealer if needed. But, I will need a smaller trailer for various tasks and likely for picking up lumber and such in town. It got me thinking that if I going to buy additional implements I may need to transport them...thinking about one that does not ship free to Texas, bit does 80 miles from me in Texarkana, AR...so all of that got me to thinking about how heavy something I would use on a 50HP or less CUT may weigh. I could do a bunch of research, but y'all seem to have this stuff down. So how about it, what attachments are really heavy and how heavy are they?
If you are talking about "free" EA shipping, I have been told that shipping beyond their 1,000 mile "free" zone is only a very nominal up charge.

/ Heaviest attachments #5  
They will go anywhere for a price.

/ Heaviest attachments #6  
If a person buys any used implements or even new from a local sealer they have to be transported somehow.
I have used my light duty utility to haul my boom arm mower (1 1/2 ton),
my back blade (1800 pounds), my current snow blower (guestimate 16-1800 pounds), pallet forks (200 pounds).
Some things I bought used I just roaded the tractor over to get, brush hog and box blade, sickle bar, rake.

/ Heaviest attachments #7  
There is a cost to freight. If the dealer ships freight paid (EA), the cost is buried in the selling price. After all - 'All costs of the lowest cost provider have to be passed on, in the long run, to the customer.' If the customer has capability of picking up, and avoiding freight costs, then the savings, and the entity that enjoys them, will be dependent on the negotiating capability of the customer. Anyone who thinks they're not paying for freight, just because it's not invoiced, is not recognizing the reality. The financial offset to the value of picking up, is the likelihood of the vendor charging sales tax vs. not charging sales tax for occasional shipments out of state.
Now, to answer your question about weight of attachments. For your size tractor, 1,500 lbs ought to cover every attachment except a back hoe or FEL.

/ Heaviest attachments #8  
EA has the great advantage of shipping implements every business day.

EA probably has a knowledgeable shipping agent negotiating very low freight rates based on volume.

The financial offset to the value of picking up, is the likelihood of the vendor charging sales tax vs. not charging sales tax for occasional shipments out of state.

If you pick up it involves two (2) travel segments, out and return Vs implement being dropped at your door. The commercial shipment will be insured.
I value every hour of my time. You have an opportunity cost while driving for a pickup.

Last edited:
   / Heaviest attachments #9  

EA probably has a knowledgeable shipping agent negotiating very low freight rates based on volume.

The financial offset to the value of picking up, is the likelihood of the vendor charging sales tax vs. not charging sales tax for occasional shipments out of state.

If you pick up it involves two (2) travel segments, out and return Vs implement being dropped at your door. The commercial shipment will be insured.
I value every hour of my time. You have an opportunity cost while driving for a pickup.
Exactly correct!
EA obviously gets exceptional freight rates.

/ Heaviest attachments

I literally was discussing opportunity costs today with my students.

I am sorry I made reference to the EA option. The most likely situation for me with implements would be a dealership or someone's farm. In either of those cases, I am much more likely than not, going to need a way to get it home. Only using vendors who will ship to my door reduces the supply for my demand and drives up the average cost and reduces the options available to me. Given my personality, I will factor in all of my costs on large purchases and Ceteris Paribus, I will get the item with the most marginal utility.

@Have tractor will travel another Econ concept I teach early and often. Nothing is free. As others pointed out, though, big shippers can negotiate better rates. Always need to roll up all of the variables, including time, before pulling the trigger.