Craftsman/Kobalt/Tekton/Pittsburg Sockets/Wrenches -- General Thoughts/Question

/ Craftsman/Kobalt/Tekton/Pittsburg Sockets/Wrenches -- General Thoughts/Question #21  
Anyone remember Globe Master?

/ Craftsman/Kobalt/Tekton/Pittsburg Sockets/Wrenches -- General Thoughts/Question #22  
I purchased one of the big tekton canada made boxes and it is fantastic, especially for the price. way nicer than tool truck brands. same as a Rousseau box which is a Vidmar competitor, same style steel carriage and real ball bearings, not just balls in a track on a slide. when you buy from them direct you get 10% credit and once a year or so they do a sale where you get more credit. the large tool box is allowing me to upgrade all my sockets, a set of wrenches and a set of screwdrivers without paying any extra. the sockets are fantastic. the ratchets are pretty nice. have not gotten the the rest yet.

I also love that it is a family owned company in my home town, and they are very clear about where everything is made. I would like to pick up a set of the made in Michigan angle wrenches. they have also been getting rid of some of china made stuff and adding more and more to the line. I plan on buying from them for anything in the future that they carry. they also have fantastic customer service. I had an issue that was totally my fault. emailed them, and literally 10 min later the issue was resolved to my benefit and I had a shipping notification.

/ Craftsman/Kobalt/Tekton/Pittsburg Sockets/Wrenches -- General Thoughts/Question #23  
I purchased one of the big tekton canada made boxes and it is fantastic, especially for the price. way nicer than tool truck brands. same as a Rousseau box which is a Vidmar competitor, same style steel carriage and real ball bearings, not just balls in a track on a slide. when you buy from them direct you get 10% credit and once a year or so they do a sale where you get more credit. the large tool box is allowing me to upgrade all my sockets, a set of wrenches and a set of screwdrivers without paying any extra. the sockets are fantastic. the ratchets are pretty nice. have not gotten the the rest yet.

I also love that it is a family owned company in my home town, and they are very clear about where everything is made. I would like to pick up a set of the made in Michigan angle wrenches. they have also been getting rid of some of china made stuff and adding more and more to the line. I plan on buying from them for anything in the future that they carry. they also have fantastic customer service. I had an issue that was totally my fault. emailed them, and literally 10 min later the issue was resolved to my benefit and I had a shipping notification.
You make a good point about shopping directly as there are items and tools that you will find in some stores that are their 'lower end' stuff that is made just so a store can have 'lower priced' stuff (usually the China tools you talked of). These items make their way onto Amazon and Ebay as well..

/ Craftsman/Kobalt/Tekton/Pittsburg Sockets/Wrenches -- General Thoughts/Question #24  
No, but I still have a full set of Power Kraft box wrenches from about 1968. For those that don't remember, Power Kraft tools were sold by Montgomery Ward. It was easy for me to buy tools there. They gave me my very first credit card at age 18.

Added: Oh yeah, I still have the 10-drawer Power Kraft tool box too. ;)

/ Craftsman/Kobalt/Tekton/Pittsburg Sockets/Wrenches -- General Thoughts/Question #25  
You make a good point about shopping directly as there are items and tools that you will find in some stores that are their 'lower end' stuff that is made just so a store can have 'lower priced' stuff (usually the China tools you talked of). These items make their way onto Amazon and Ebay as well..

yea, our local JAX farm and ranch stores have a full line of the tekton stuff, including some of the cheaper china made things, but it seems like they are slowly being phased out for quality items. most of that stuff is not even on the tekton website anymore, like the drill press vice, some bit driver stuff, etc.

/ Craftsman/Kobalt/Tekton/Pittsburg Sockets/Wrenches -- General Thoughts/Question #26  
Sure! I still have my Globemaster 1" micrometer from about 1960.

Their stuff was sold from a big tray of miscellaneous unrelated tools at the front of hardware stores. Quality variable, some of it like early HF.

/ Craftsman/Kobalt/Tekton/Pittsburg Sockets/Wrenches -- General Thoughts/Question #27  
No, but I still have a full set of Power Kraft box wrenches from about 1968. For those that don't remember, Power Kraft tools were sold by Montgomery Ward.
Somebody said Powr Kraft?

I bought this 1960's Monkey Wards 230a AC stick welder 20 years ago from an estate sale. It runs same as new. There's nothing inside it but a 100+ lb transformer and a fan. Nothing to break or wear out.

Eventually I got a HF flux welder thinking that would be an improvement for small work. Nope! Soon sold the HF for a better one, but I'll keep this Powr-Kraft monster forever.

PowrKraft welder2989r.jpg

Last edited:
   / Craftsman/Kobalt/Tekton/Pittsburg Sockets/Wrenches -- General Thoughts/Question #28  
And then there was this.... Think it was more homeowner oriented than industrial...

DSC02342-s.jpg

Also have 7-1/4 inch circular saw with JC Penny logo/label....

/ Craftsman/Kobalt/Tekton/Pittsburg Sockets/Wrenches -- General Thoughts/Question #29  
Great replies. Thanks for the advice folks gave.

I think having what I'm running now is sufficient.

For what it's worth, Craftsman is still lifetime. Just if you were to trade a broken USA stamped tool, you'll get a Chinese clone with the exact same part number. Lowes has no problem doing it.

I also found out that there is a secret way to get "specialty" tools like for example shallow 1/2" drive 6 point sockets from Craftsman and that is by going to/calling one of their independently owned stores and special ordering them. I had a little time on my hands earlier this week, cause I was curious. Supposedly there is a catalog for Sears dealers only at least according to one Sears store owner I spoke with. Quite and interesting going about doing business. But if I recall correctly, even in a regular Sears store they had those Craftsman full catalogs with every single part number of tool.

There are a couple other Craftsmen special tools I might order... we'll see. It's just easier to go to HF and get the Pittsburgh. lol
I wasn’t aware that there are any Sears stores still operating?

/ Craftsman/Kobalt/Tekton/Pittsburg Sockets/Wrenches -- General Thoughts/Question #30  
And then there was this.... Think it was more homeowner oriented than industrial...

View attachment 713607

Also have 7-1/4 inch circular saw with JC Penny logo/label....
I have that set that I bought in the 1970s. That wrench set is actually pretty well made. I have never broken anything in that set.