Unsecured hay hauling

/ Unsecured hay hauling #101  
A long time ago, my best friend hopped on his motorcycle to come back home from college for spring break. Last thing he remembered was turning left out of his apartment complex, and woke up in the hospital with a headache and a broken arm.

Witnesses said a pickup truck with a ladder rack was coming towards him in the opposite direction when an aluminum extension ladder swung off the rack and hit him square in the full face helmet. He didn't have the chin strap fastened, so it popped the helmet right off his head, he was knocked out cold, crashed, and broke his arm and and got a concussion. Lucky it was on a city street and they were both probably going under 30. A little faster and it probably would have snapped his neck.

Police said the ladder wasn't secured in the front, only the back.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #102  
^^^^^
That just shows that you can’t legislate brains... but that doesn’t mean it’s OK to disregard basic safety concerns.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #103  
A long time ago, my best friend hopped on his motorcycle to come back home from college for spring break. Last thing he remembered was turning left out of his apartment complex, and woke up in the hospital with a headache and a broken arm.

Witnesses said a pickup truck with a ladder rack was coming towards him in the opposite direction when an aluminum extension ladder swung off the rack and hit him square in the full face helmet. He didn't have the chin strap fastened, so it popped the helmet right off his head, he was knocked out cold, crashed, and broke his arm and and got a concussion. Lucky it was on a city street and they were both probably going under 30. A little faster and it probably would have snapped his neck.

Police said the ladder wasn't secured in the front, only the back.

And if he had not been wearing a helmet he’d probably have been killed.

Many states do not have helmet laws.

MoKelly

/ Unsecured hay hauling #104  
I think Indiana did away with the helmet law in the late 70's. Michigan had one until 2012. I think both states have requirements for under-age and learners.

I read that in the 12 months after Michigan revised the law, helmet use went down about 25% and head injuries went up about 14%, but death rates didn't change much at all. I don't know if there's any correlation there or not, though, as Indiana's motorcycle death rate rises and falls almost annually in quite large increments.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #106  
Saw a guy on a bike on I26 in SC this morning. No helmet, no shirt.
Was he wearing a Covid mask?
And more importantly, was it fitted properly?

/ Unsecured hay hauling #108  
I read that in the 12 months after Michigan revised the law, helmet use went down about 25% and head injuries went up about 14%, but death rates didn't change much at all. I don't know if there's any correlation there or not, though, as Indiana's motorcycle death rate rises and falls almost annually in quite large increments.

I’ve seen several head injuries where the person did not die —- but wished they had died.

Few things worse than a bad head injury for destroying the quality of life. Yours and those that love you.

Wear a helmet folks.

MoKelly

/ Unsecured hay hauling #109  
I love it when people state 'there should be a law' and 'laws should be enforced'. FOLKS: There are two sets of natural laws that exist with regard to loads, and most always they are enforced by nature....GRAVITY and PHYSICS. Many incidents usually result from someone failing to remember one or both of them. I avoid the term accident, because most incidents do not accidentally happen. They could have been prevented.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #110  
I love it when people state 'there should be a law' and 'laws should be enforced'. FOLKS: There are two sets of natural laws that exist with regard to loads, and most always they are enforced by nature....GRAVITY and PHYSICS. Many incidents usually result from someone failing to remember one or both of them. I avoid the term accident, because most incidents do not accidentally happen. They could have been prevented.
Because they *could* have been prevented doesn't mean they weren't an accident.