trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools #201  
ArlyA, I have enjoyed this thread and admire your toughness.

The one factor that is inescapable is that our ability to work hard diminishes eventually.

At the 250 acre hunt club next to me (near Gaylord) we keep our trails open with pole saws and bush hogs. The younger guys run the saws, and older guys run the tractors.

Looking at your photos, it would seem most of the work you do with string trimmers could be done with a bush hog. Maybe the flail mowers would work but I have never used one.

You provide a heck of a service and hope you find a way to keep doing it for many more years.

/ trail clearing technique and tools
ArlyA, I have enjoyed this thread and admire your toughness.

The one factor that is inescapable is that our ability to work hard diminishes eventually.

At the 250 acre hunt club next to me (near Gaylord) we keep our trails open with pole saws and bush hogs. The younger guys run the saws, and older guys run the tractors.

Looking at your photos, it would seem most of the work you do with string trimmers could be done with a bush hog. Maybe the flail mowers would work but I have never used one.

You provide a heck of a service and hope you find a way to keep doing it for many more years.
Thank you for your kind words. We have had folks run "brush hogs" on trails we worked on. We don't like the 5"-+ stumble of trees shoots they leave behind. It's not fun to walk through and might even punch an atv tire. Flails can do a lower cut.

Don't tell anyone, but we're not getting younger. :cautious:

/ trail clearing technique and tools #203  
My AP battery Stihl pole saw and hedge trimmer and chainsaw get a good workout with the pole saw being used the most for maintaining along with Echo handle bar trimmer…

That said it was years ago I put in the trails with a CAT D3 and once established thought I could maintain with the Deere 110 TLB.

In my case I was wrong and a half day each spring with the Deere 350c does a nice clean up…

It’s hard to beat a dozer for trail work!

/ trail clearing technique and tools #204  
Thank you for your kind words. We have had folks run "brush hogs" on trails we worked on. We don't like the 5"-+ stumble of trees shoots they leave behind. It's not fun to walk through and might even punch an atv tire. Flails can do a lower cut.

Don't tell anyone, but we're not getting younger. :cautious:

I am not knowledgeable to know what rocks will do to a flail. I looked at getting one but we have plenty of rocks from egg to grapefruit size and I fear they would destroy flail hammers after a few encounters. If you have few rocks, it may not matter.

I am too selfish to spend a lot of money on tools to maintain trails for others and strangers. And flail mowers are expensive to this old boy.

This thing from DR uses 175 trimmer string and should be easier than using a handheld trimer. IIRC they have a decent return policy if you are not happy with it. I get tired hanging on to a trimmer for very long...but I am a wussy. Something on wheels would be easier I think.

I am not knowledgeable to know what rocks will do to a flail. I looked at getting one but we have plenty of rocks from egg to grapefruit size and I fear they would destroy flail hammers after a few encounters. If you have few rocks, it may not matter.

I am too selfish to spend a lot of money on tools to maintain trails for others and strangers. And flail mowers are expensive to this old boy.

This thing from DR uses 175 trimmer string and should be easier than using a handheld trimer. IIRC they have a decent return policy if you are not happy with it. I get tired hanging on to a trimmer for very long...but I am a wussy. Something on wheels would be easier I think.

We have a system here who have a flail on there compact tractor and they hit rocks on a regular bases. Clearing weeds, grass and tree shoots with our weed whackers is not all that hard of job but we have some wide logging roads which are just to time consuming to do with them. This is why we are looking at that Chapman flail.

Having used and fixed a DR product we will not even considering getting another. They are better built to sit in the shed, than to be used.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #206  
ArlyA, you do love your pole saws. I think they would be great for limbing and cutting anything over waist height. For 6"+ trees across the trail, I think I'd rather use a 50cc pro chainsaw.

That said, you probably get your pole saw in the dirt often enough. What is your sharpening method?

Last edited:
ArlyA, you do love your pole saws. I think they would be great for limbing and cutting anything over waist height. For 6"+ trees across the trail, I think I'd rather use a 50cc pro chainsaw.

That said, you probably get your pole saw in the dirt often enough. What is your sharpening method?
We do own a regular stihl saw that's there professional version but don't have the capacity to carry it along with its PPG. We are nomally walking in, or use our 6x6 to do them. Since we have limited carrying capacity, we bring tools with us we can get the most work done. Having said that, we rarely need a 18" bar.

I hand file chains in the field but bring at least 3 chains along on most days.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #208  
I enjoy creating and maintaining the trails on our property. I am always amazed at nature's relentless effort to reclaim empty ground.

Those who use and enjoy the trails in upper Michigan have no idea what it takes to keep them so nice. Hats off to you ArlyA (y)

/ trail clearing technique and tools #209  

I can sharpen a chain in about 5 minutes, on the saw, in the field, and bring it back to as good as or better than new.

This stihl brand sharpening tool is awesome. I don't spend near the money on chains.
I periodically give each tooth 2 cuts to maintain it, 4 or 5 passes will resharpen a dull chain.

Here is a pro showing it on Youtube:

Amazon

/ trail clearing technique and tools #210  
Can you see well enough to match the angle? Does it seem to get the rakers just about right?