trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
Can you see well enough to match the angle? Does it seem to get the rakers just about right?
Since many people do fine, just hand filing there chains, I'd guess that file holder works great. I thought about getting one but haven't yet. Not sure they could hold the super tiny 1/8th my Stihl pole saw uses anyway. Yes, I'm awaiting parts to swtich it to larger chains. I'm not happy with the micro ones it came with.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #212  
I switched the 10" pole saw to 12" and the battery saw from 14" to 12" for simplicity... also one of the national stores sells the 12" much cheaper than the saw shop.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #213  
For SOME reason,, my trails stay 90 inches wide,,,,,,,,,, :unsure:

64Ia2C8.jpg

ArlyA,, please do not drool on the paint,, my wife makes me wax this thing every time I use it,,
Drool leaves marks in the wax,,,,,,,,,,,,

My granddaughter was over Thursday,, and she wanted to ride the ATV,,
She was SO happy, the trails were freshly mowed on Tuesday,,,
I think she would have fought the weeds, but, mowed trails were enough to get a "Thanks! POP POP !" out of her

/ trail clearing technique and tools #214  
Can you see well enough to match the angle? Does it seem to get the rakers just about right?
Yes, you can align it with your eyes and pretty quickly learn to feel the drag when making full contact.

I truly had no experience doing this and after the first sharpening, it was like new. It has saved me probably $2 or 300 hundred dollars this summer. I used to use a chain well after it was dull just because I didn't want to and change out chains. This is easier for me anyway.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #215  
Since many people do fine, just hand filing there chains, I'd guess that file holder works great. I thought about getting one but haven't yet. Not sure they could hold the super tiny 1/8th my Stihl pole saw uses anyway. Yes, I'm awaiting parts to swtich it to larger chains. I'm not happy with the micro ones it came with.
The tools are made in different versions to accomodate the different chain pitches: https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/filing-tools/2in1file/

So if a person has saws using different pitches of chains they'd need to buy (& remember to use) the one specific for each chain pitch. It's noticeable when the wrong one is used on a chain pitch it wasn't intended for as there's a difference in the drag (at least that I've felt the few times I've grabbed the wrong one for the chain I was sharpening).

For SOME reason,, my trails stay 90 inches wide,,,,,,,,,, :unsure:

64Ia2C8.jpg

ArlyA,, please do not drool on the paint,, my wife makes me wax this thing every time I use it,,
Drool leaves marks in the wax,,,,,,,,,,,,

My granddaughter was over Thursday,, and she wanted to ride the ATV,,
She was SO happy, the trails were freshly mowed on Tuesday,,,
I think she would have fought the weeds, but, mowed trails were enough to get a "Thanks! POP POP !" out of her
We do not own a compact tractor and no plans to get one. Sure, I'd like one, but no $$$ for it. Is there a "Go fund me" someone would like to set up? :)

Seems that some people might not know how we change these crazy cam lock whacker strings so today, I took a few photos to demonstrate the process. Ya, its crazy complicated!

Back at the 6x6 for a snack, I note my strings are looking a bit ratty so I place the unit in the machines box.
P1010946.jpg

Next a grab the handy-dandy 6" linemen pliers from my pocket gab there ends and pull.
P1010947.jpg

Wala!
P1010948.jpg

Again I dig in my pocket and find a bundle of strings. Who put them in there anyway? :unsure:
P1010949.jpg

Seconds later, 4 new strings magically arrive. These cost less than $1 and should take less than 60 seconds to do, but I was having a snack. :LOL:
P1010950.jpg

I hope that helps. Today's trail working photos to follow.

Last edited:
At work on a trail today. Does it look like fall here??
P1010905.jpg
P1010908.jpg
P1010911.jpg

Who needs a pole saw??!!??!!
P1010931.jpg

This cut is above my head.
P1010934.jpg
P1010944.jpg

Why do we appreciate a 6x6?
P1010952.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #220  
Here you go!