Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,611  
That's no surprise, most folks don't even know there's one in there!

SR
Oh, I know its in there, just never greased one or had one fail!

Well I'll take that back a little, I have greased them before when I do a full blown tear apart and cleaning, just not on a regular basis.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,612  
On a different scale compared to Skeans1 :) I made a very meager start to my winter spruce/fir harvest yesterday afternoon. More of a shake-down cruise for my brain and body after being away from it for a couple hot buggy months.

First fire in the stove Monday night and 35* this morning. Woods weather is coming.

View attachment 715096

gg
Yep, I'm about to where I can start cutting again too. I dont sell them or anything I just cut for my lumber pile or firewood for next year. I have a couple sweetgums I want to cut, going to try a little for lumber and the rest for firewood, haven't really messed with the sweetgum before, curious how it works.
Mid to low 60's here at night so no fires yet..

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,613  
I do have one fire I'm going to light... my old kitchen!!

Attachments

• IMG_6111.JPG
    IMG_6111.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 80
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,614  
Oh, I know its in there, just never greased one or had one fail!

Well I'll take that back a little, I have greased them before when I do a full blown tear apart and cleaning, just not on a regular basis.

I’ll grease them on a regular basis it’s a lot cheaper then a crankshaft on something like my 500i.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,615  
I don't know what that means LOL
I was stirring it up because it came up before.

That’s the thing most don’t understand why our stumps are normally taller then back east is we deal with flare on the butt which isn’t accepted and we can’t trim the flutes. The one video is on a property line with it being the last row of trees so height wasn’t as critical, the other one couldn’t of gone any lower it was part of an old double that had been cut previously.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,616  
I recently rebuilt a MS250 and did look at the clutch bearing. I’d say people like me that just put a few hours a year on a saw it’s not a concern, but for loggers I can see it would be important. I know one thing I learned in the rebuild, oily sawdust gets everywhere. When I did the rebuild I spent more time cleaning then I did actually taking it apart and reassembling the saw, and I thought I kept it clean.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,617  
Hmm, grease the clutch bearing?? I dont think I've ever done that.
That caught my attention as well! I immediately did a google search and found it can be fairly easy to do 1 of 2 ways depending on the saw.
I have never done it on my 20-30 year old Craftsman saw! :oops:.
I will be checking both saws in the next week or so and service them as needed.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,618  
I never knew about this either and found this video with a great explanation. I also like this guys style.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,619  
I never knew about this either and found this video with a great explanation. I also like this guys style.
I like Steve, lots of good information with that guy! Seems there are more saws without that grease hole than with.. I do have one of those little greaseguns though.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,620  
That caught my attention as well! I immediately did a google search and found it can be fairly easy to do 1 of 2 ways depending on the saw.
I have never done it on my 20-30 year old Craftsman saw! :oops:.
I will be checking both saws in the next week or so and service them as needed.
Its easy to do and easy to get at, I just dont regularly do it.