Answer me this...

/ Answer me this... #291  
Many of the meat chickens they sell these days have huge breasts. Even the roosters do :unsure:. Dang near turkeys.

There is a place up here that grows one of the traditional red varieties (sorry, I do not recall my chicken types), they have a much smaller breast. More like the ones we raised when I grew up.
being a hungry man fried chicken expert i must thank you for pointing that out.

As i said, i've lived on them for over 20 years but recently have been wondering......has someone invented a new way to butcher chickens?

Not unusual to get 2 or 3 "hunks" of chicken that are unrecognizable, always white meat.

I guess they must break down these new mega breasts into 3 pieces?

I've mentioned in the past i know a genetics Ag prof that tells me he can grow a hind leg on a hog from every vertebrae. That translates to more hams. He also said a beef cow has been engineered to have twice the muscle than normal.....more rib eyes!

We have been modifying livestock for 10,000 years, but, it gets creepy when you apply modern science.

/ Answer me this...
We have been modifying livestock for 10,000 years, but, it gets creepy when you apply modern science.
You're over thinking it. If you don't know it's genetically modified food with all different kinds of God only know what kind of crap is in there from modern science, who cares as long as it tastes good and it puts more meat on the bone! 🤣

/ Answer me this... #293  
You're over thinking it. If you don't know it's genetically modified food with all different kinds of God only know what kind of crap is in there from modern science, who cares as long as it tastes good and it puts more meat on the bone! 🤣
So tasty! :p

/ Answer me this... #294  
and this why we ask God to bless our meals before we eat them... God only knows... :)

/ Answer me this...
So tasty! :p
I couldn't help but feel a little distraught if I were to have known someone like Jeffery Dahmer and was over his place having him make me a meal and I thought the meal tasted pretty good...

That said, at the end of the day, perhaps ignorance can be bliss.

/ Answer me this... #296  
Those are mutant birds, bred to have the huge breast, grow real fast, ready to harvest by 7 weeks.
...Wwwwhaaattt? 7 weeks?

/ Answer me this... #297  
...Wwwwhaaattt? 7 weeks?
Around that, yep. You could push it a couple more weeks, but at that point, they get too heavy to walk, so they just sit in their own filth, starving and dying of thirst. Science!

/ Answer me this... #298  
FWIW...Lots of chicken farms around here...(The poultry capital of the world is only 30-40 miles away)
the "farmers" only have to supply the housing etc..The producers bring out the chicks and the feed...six weeks later they come and get them...

There is a niche market for trained dogs that go through the chicken houses and remove the ones that die...

/ Answer me this... #299  
Again, you guys are describing why I raise my own chickens. The Cornish cross birds will start to die off at 6-8 weeks if you don't have time to kill them. They literally will do nothing but eat if you let them.
The "Freedom Rangers" I grow also are fast growing birds, but they at least will get out, walk around and forage a bit. Yet you still can have a full grown bird at 10-12 weeks.

I started raising turkeys after my brother, who is on a strict cardio diet, lamented about all of the work he put into creating Thanksgiving dinner for his family but couldn't eat the turkey he cooked. Commercially grown turkey is one of the things his doctor told him to avoid.

The flavor of the animals I raise is also better... although somebody who is accustomed to bland commercial chicken might disagree.

I also raise my own eggs, and have had people refuse to eat them because "the yolk is too yellow."

/ Answer me this... #300  
I went to a semi-upsale restaurant in Portland, OR for work. At a friend's recommendation, I tried the peanut butter, pickle burger. So, it isn't mayo but it is a spread. And it was delicious. I make them now at home with chunky peanut butter, pickles, and Monteray Jack. Hmmmmmmmmmmm good.