JD 1010

/ JD 1010 #1  

andrball1

Tractor
JD 1010R
F0EAEB84-DC7A-4612-94CB-658A8C219FC7.jpeg

Just got this gas 1010R. First one I have seen with a single front. Having trouble finding much information about the single front wheel. Does anyone know how many were built, Or share any info they may have. I believe it is a 1964. thanks

Last edited:
   / JD 1010 #3  
As well, share the s/n and the year can be confirmed.
Looks to be in good shape. How does it run? Any problems that are obvious?

Welcome to TBN

/ JD 1010
Thanks, sn- 1010R 45627. Runs great, pto, three point hitch both work as it should. The single front wheel is what I liked about it. Just can’t find much info about that option.

/ JD 1010 #5  
1010's were known to be, shall we say fragile... I hope you are going to use it for parades ect...

SR

/ JD 1010 #6  
Thanks, sn- 1010R 45627. Runs great, pto, three point hitch both work as it should. The single front wheel is what I liked about it. Just can’t find much info about that option.

I had...still have.... a very similar JD530 with a single front wheel. Be very careful because single front wheel models rear up easily. BTW, they were especially popular in corn country. But I'd set the rear wheels out and be careful.

After a few scary moments pulling a blade, I found a wide front for mine and to my amazement it bolted up exactly. A straight across swap. That tractor is still working today and the wide front cured the rearing.

I've also heard that the 1010 was fragile. I'm not entirely buying that. The 530 is not fragile, and I see no reason why the 1010 should be. JD didn't build fragile tractors as a rule. Yes, it is a lightweight machine, and one of the first when JD went from the old horizontal two cylinders to a more modern enginer...but that's understood. From the looks of yours, the PO understood how to use it right too.
Nice tractor,
rScotty

/ JD 1010 #7  
I've also heard that the 1010 was fragile. I'm not entirely buying that. The 530 is not fragile, and I see no reason why the 1010 should be. JD didn't build fragile tractors as a rule. Yes, it is a lightweight machine, and one of the first when JD went from the old horizontal two cylinders to a more modern enginer...but that's understood. From the looks of yours, the PO understood how to use it right too.
Nice tractor,
rScotty
SO, you feel because a different model JD tractor (530) isn't fragile, then the 1010 can't be either... got it!

BTW, they took the "fragile" out, when they went to the 1020.

SR

/ JD 1010 #8  
N
SO, you feel because a different model JD tractor (530) isn't fragile, then the 1010 can't be either... got it!

BTW, they took the "fragile" out, when they went to the 1020.

SR

No, that's not what I said. Whatever you decided when you "got it" is your own interpretation.
rScotty

/ JD 1010 #9  
Welcome to TBN...enjoy.

/ JD 1010 #10  
No, that's not what I said. Whatever you decided when you "got it" is your own interpretation.
rScotty
Well, that's not exactly what you said, but that is how it sounds.

Bottom line is, at one time there were a few 1010's around here, they all had problems and now everyone here will only use them for shows and parades.

That's what I'm going by, they are on the fragile side even if you don't believe it.

SR