Trailer choice before I make a mistake

/ Trailer choice before I make a mistake #11  
I believe the tow rating is also including the GVW of the truck over the curb weight. Look into that though.

/ Trailer choice before I make a mistake #12  
A Big Tex 14GN trailer 20 plus 5 foot for the ramps. 4780 pounds empty weight. According to their web page. Load is 8208 + 4780 = 12988. Transfer 15% to the hitch 12988 - 1948 = 11040 on the trailer. This is all good.

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Trailer choice before I make a mistake #13  
I believe the tow rating is also including the GVW of the truck over the curb weight. Look into that though.

GVW stands for Gross Vehicle Weight. It’s the actual weight, at any given moment, of the vehicle. If a vehicle is on scales, it shows the GVW. The GVW can be anything, if you keep adding stuff or taking stuff away.

/ Trailer choice before I make a mistake #14  
GVW stands for Gross Vehicle Weight. It’s the actual weight, at any given moment, of the vehicle. If a vehicle is on scales, it shows the GVW. The GVW can be anything, if you keep adding stuff or taking stuff away.
Well, but usually when people say gvw what they really mean in gvwR, the maximum Rating of the vehicle.

what nyone was alluding to, is the gCvwr, the combined maximum rating. A number that is different than just gvwr plus tow rating (often much lower)

/ Trailer choice before I make a mistake #15  
GVW and GCVW is far from the same thing.

Last edited:
   / Trailer choice before I make a mistake #16  
GVW and GCWW is far from the same thing.

Did you mean GVW and GCWR are not the same thing? If so, you’re correct, but who are you correcting?

/ Trailer choice before I make a mistake #17  
I have a 2012 super duty 6.2 gas with 3.73 gears. I purchased this truck to move my tractor which is a new Holland work master 70 with FEL. It looks like all I can pull is 12,500 with my truck. I can’t find anything that says I can pull more with a gooseneck than bumper pull. A gooseneck is going run a good 1,000 lbs more than a bumper pull.

if I purchase a 20’ deck over bumper pull trailer most of my weight will be up on front of trailer when I load my tractor and bush hog up. The bush hog actually will hang off trailer by three feet. So tractor has to go on first.

If I purchase a gooseneck than I more than likely will exceed my towing capacity of truck. Most 20’ goosenecks are 4800 lbs. looks like I either need to get a bigger truck or smaller tractor. No way I can afford an aluminum gooseneck.
My tractor weighs 5050lbs, the fel weighs 1600 lbs and bushhog weighs 1556. That’s 8206lbs and leaves me roughly 4300 for a trailer. Hard to find a gooseneck 20’ at 4300lbs.

Am I missing something here.
Your missing something if critical importance here.

8200 lb machine and let's assume a 4000 lb trailer is 12200 lbs. But a goose will be designed to place approximately 20% of that 12,000 onto the truck rear axle, or 2400 lbs. That 2400 leaves the trailer, so your trailer and tractor are showing 10,600 (ish) on the trailer axles and your truck rear axle picks up 2400 lb payload.

If those numbers work with your truck, your golden. Look at RV trailers to see the extreme side of this.... my Grand Design 311BHS is a 14k gross trailer sitting on 2 6k lb axles. Why? Because they know that around 2800-3000 of that 14k will be on my truck and not on the trailer axles.

/ Trailer choice before I make a mistake #18  
I think a GN is just overkill here. If OP gets a 22’ bumper pull, he can place and balance the load for probably LESS rear axle weight than a goose, and 1000lbs less total tow weight, which is significant!

/ Trailer choice before I make a mistake #19  
Before you buy any trailer I think you need to double check the length of the tractor plus the front loader plus the mower. I have a Kubota L2501 and it is 22 feet without the bucket on the FEL and a 5 foot mower. I know the New Holland front end loader is made to reach much farther to the front then the Kubota loader. In addition your mower it more then likely bigger then mine and of course the tractor is 2 feet longer then mine.

Last edited:
   / Trailer choice before I make a mistake #20  
F-350 crew 4x4 here 6.2 3.73 gears. Bumper pull PJ 22' deck over tilt bed. Have hauled 14 round bales @ 900lb, grunts taking off on grade but hauled it great. Have hauled skid steers, cabbed tractors with loaders on 600 mile hilly trips.