Trailer choice before I make a mistake

/ Trailer choice before I make a mistake #21  
Before you buy any trailer I think you need to double check the length of the tractor plus the front loader plus the mower. I have a Kubota L2501 and it is 22 feet without the bucket on the FEL and a 5 foot mower. I know the New Holland front end loader is made to reach much farther to the front then the Kubota loader. In addition your mower it more then likely bigger then mine and of course the tractor is 2 feet longer then mine.
I agree, I would never buy a 20' trailer. Too short for tractors unless it's a BX. My 22' has me hanging off the rear with my brush hog on my Grand L with loader. I wish mine was 26'.

I've never said... "I just can't haul that, my trailer is just too long and has just too high off load rating. "

20210921_163041.jpg

/ Trailer choice before I make a mistake
Thanks guys i appreciate the comments. I also didn’t know so much went in to towing a trailer. A lot of information has been givin and advice. I’m still leaning more to a GN but realize I shouldn’t have a problem with my setup. Ricky

/ Trailer choice before I make a mistake #23  
I agree, I would never buy a 20' trailer. Too short for tractors unless it's a BX. My 22' has me hanging off the rear with my brush hog on my Grand L with loader. I wish mine was 26'.
Funny you mention that.... I've got a 20' + dovetail bumper pull, with a toolbox mounted at the front of the decking. The remaining deck space is pretty much just right for fitting my Bx w/FEL+brushog with a little room to spare for balancing.

/ Trailer choice before I make a mistake #24  
"tow rating" is just a manufacturer suggestion. It's not law, it's not enforceable.

Similar to tractor manufacturers suggesting implement size. They suggest a max of 5' for a rear blade, that doesn't mean it won't handle a 6' just fine.

The people suggesting adding a dozen steps to your load and unload by unhooking, taking forks, side loading, etc are just crazy. Unless this is only a once or twice a year thing to a second property, it just isn't practical.

You do need a longer trailer though. Measure your machine from bucket to tailwheel. I'm betting it's over 25'.

Get a heavy and long enough trailer. Don't overload any rated capacities of tires, axles, hitch, etc and you will be fine. Just don't try and drag race up a 15% grade. Understand your trucks power limitations towing at capacity.

/ Trailer choice before I make a mistake #25  
I have a 2012 super duty 6.2 gas with 3.73 gears. I purchased this truck to move my tractor which is a new Holland work master 70 with FEL. It looks like all I can pull is 12,500 with my truck. I can’t find anything that says I can pull more with a gooseneck than bumper pull. A gooseneck is going run a good 1,000 lbs more than a bumper pull.

if I purchase a 20’ deck over bumper pull trailer most of my weight will be up on front of trailer when I load my tractor and bush hog up. The bush hog actually will hang off trailer by three feet. So tractor has to go on first.

If I purchase a gooseneck than I more than likely will exceed my towing capacity of truck. Most 20’ goosenecks are 4800 lbs. looks like I either need to get a bigger truck or smaller tractor. No way I can afford an aluminum gooseneck.
My tractor weighs 5050lbs, the fel weighs 1600 lbs and bushhog weighs 1556. That’s 8206lbs and leaves me roughly 4300 for a trailer. Hard to find a gooseneck 20’ at 4300lbs.

Am I missing something here.
Ricky,

I have had the exact same truck since '12 (mine's an extended cab).

A gooseneck (or 5th wheel) will transfer the hitch weight directly over the rear axle, where a receiver hitch (some folks still call these "bumper pull", no idea why) will add this weight at the very tail end of the truck. The receiver hitch style will act more as a lever, pushing down at the very back of the truck. So they are rated differently per truck because the weight is added differently to the truck's chassis.

Generally speaking, the gooseneck (or 5th wheel) will feel more stable with the same amount of trailer weight then a receiver hitch, even if all weights are well within the truck's rated spec.

I also agree your trailer length is too short. This is what an 18' trailer looks like with a similar sized tractor:

20170715_123357.jpg

I have had this car trailer since long before I bought this tractor (or even the truck). I bought it to haul cars on, not tractors. As you can see, it will "work", but it's not ideal for several reasons. That is an 18' bed, and it could really use 4 more feet, just to get the whole mower on the deck. The trailer is also overloaded for weight on the trailer axles. I have put higher rated tires on than the original tires, but they are on the original rims. As it sits in the picture, the trailer weighs just over 9000 pounds. It has a 6000 lb carry capacity, and my tractor as pictured, is 7100 lbs (the trailer itself weighs 1900 lbs). It's not a permanent solution, my "next" trailer will be a 30' deckover gooseneck, and probably looking for a 14K rating. The main reason for wanting 30' is so I can bring extra attachments with me on the same trip.

The truck as it sits in that picture is well within all specs for trailer weights and truck capacity. I do have air bags on the rear, and in this picture the bags are empty. Adding 30-40 psi to the rear bags levels up the truck nicely and eliminates excessive spring travel as I tow this over rough ground or rough roads.

I haul my tractor very infrequently so far, but I'm expecting those hauling trips to increase, so I'm pushing my CFO for the gooseneck. As it sits in the picture is how I normally load it and haul it. I'm sure there's a bit more tongue weight on it than absolutely necessary, but still well within truck's ratings, and a little "extra" tongue weight is better than not enough. It will pull very stable how I have it sitting in the picture. My specific tractor has filled rear tires, and my entire tractor's power train is all cast iron. So with the rear (filled) tires sitting just slightly behind the back trailer axle, and the cast iron engine sitting in front of the front trailer axle, it's just about "perfect" for trailer stability.

Figuring out where to place the load on the trailer deck will vary depending on tractor weight (the load), the length of the trailer deck, the position of the trailer axles under the deck, and the length that the front hitch sticks out from the front of the deck. When I upgrade trailers, I will have to sort all this out again for that specific deck and axle configuration.

For your specific setup, just keep in mind, the more weight percentage that sits behind the axles, will take weight OFF the hitch. And the more weight you place in front of the axles will add weight TO the hitch. The weight that sits directly ON the axles is just bulk trailer weight (load), neither adding OR taking much weight on or off the hitch.

/ Trailer choice before I make a mistake #26  
Just to re-emphasize. If you are getting a bumper pull and going to be near or at your max weight make sure to get a weight distribution hitch. They make a ton of difference in the drivability.

/ Trailer choice before I make a mistake #27  
Thanks guys i appreciate the comments. I also didn’t know so much went in to towing a trailer. A lot of information has been givin and advice. I’m still leaning more to a GN but realize I shouldn’t have a problem with my setup. Ricky
The disadvantage of a GN as your first trailer is that you will never truly know how much better it is than a bumper pull. :)

I started with a bumper pull 37 years ago, had several over the years, each one a little longer than the previous.

This was the last BP:
MF35's being traded for MF235.jpg

And the first GN:
P4240250.JPG

And the one I have now 18' + 4' pop up dove tail, picked up at the factory in 2006:
P9062368.JPG
P9062372.JPG
PC220005.JPG
PA050015.JPG

And the hydraulic ramps ;):Compact telehandler

Last edited:
   / Trailer choice before I make a mistake #28  
You can get a dovetail with fold flat ramps, adds 3' minimum. Don't like your how your truck is sitting get airbags easy 1hr installation, no onboard compressor needed, just use a standalone before you depart. I have a 18' deck over with 5' dovetail w/ fold flat ramps so 23' weighs 4100 lbs empty, trailer rated at 17k so technically could haul 13k has tandem 7k axles which means I could technically put 3k on the truck if trailers fully loaded properly. Airbags and Bilstein shocks make a world of difference. With that being said I'd never haul that much if I didnt feel comfortable stopping, 6.6 Duramax with exhaust brake. No weight distribution hitch as I run a pintle I also rarely go over 65 on the freeway unless I feel I have to.

/ Trailer choice before I make a mistake #29  
Gooseneck vs bumper pull...

They each have their place and pros and cons to both.

I haul a 8000 pound mini and an 8000 pound tractor (not at the same time).
Sometimes it's on my 25' GN, sometimes it's on a 22' 12k bumper pull.

I can take the bumper pull anywhere I take the GN. But I cannot take the GN everywhere I can take the BP. Narrow driveway approaches and county roads with a GN = high probability of crushing customers culverts.

I park on the road ALOT with the GN because it just won't go in narrow drives.

Honestly don't notice a difference in how they tow, by the truck is a dually. Just have to pay more attention on turns with the GN though.

Maybe it's a SRW thing....but I have never understood why so many claim a GN is so much better. I just haven't noticed an extreme difference

/ Trailer choice before I make a mistake #30  
The disadvantage of a GN as your first trailer is that you will never truly know how much better it is than a bumper pull. :)

I started with a bumper pull 37 years ago, had several over the years, each one a little longer than the previous.

This was the last BP:
View attachment 717196

And the first GN:
View attachment 717197

And the one I have now 18' + 4' pop up dove tail, picked up at the factory in 2006:
View attachment 717198View attachment 717199View attachment 717200View attachment 717201

And the hydraulic ramps ;):Compact telehandler

the new Ford Bronco should handle that double hay trailer easily.........