Tires do not spin

/ Tires do not spin #71  
Thanks to all you folk's . I will try the rim spinning theory

OPs last post. 11 out of 11 rapid fire responses prior. Case closed?

/ Tires do not spin #73  
I think he may enjoy keeping us in suspense. ;)

/ Tires do not spin #74  
He advised this evening, he would continue the investigation in a day or two.

/ Tires do not spin #75  
Perhaps he should try to move a pile of pallets over some unexplained holes in a wood floor while checking the trailer lights. (How do I worked a drain plug in here?)

/ Tires do not spin
Update on tires don't spin. I have done some more testing and changed hydro filter. It will spin in low gear if you jerk it around and drive like an idiot. Overall I think it is performing as it is supposed to. Traction is just not a problem. I kind of miss the old gear drive...This video link is the rest of the story.

/ Tires do not spin #77  
First of all, I am a fan of gear drive. However, there is no way I would do a pull test in high range with either transmission. That test proves nothing but it is a great example of what not to do.

At any rate, thanks for the update.

/ Tires do not spin #78  
Update on tires don't spin. I have done some more testing and changed hydro filter. It will spin in low gear if you jerk it around and drive like an idiot. Overall I think it is performing as it is supposed to. Traction is just not a problem. I kind of miss the old gear drive...This video link is the rest of the story.

Do you keep your axles locked? I wouldn't. R1 tires, loaded, that won't spin? I wouldn't expect them to,

But my experience from what I know (not much)...... A hydrostatic trans is not an Automatic. Maybe closer to a CVT. It doesn't have gears, it uses a pump(s) depending on how far you depress the pedal. From what I've read, it generates more pumping power the more you depress the pedal.

I know this, in an automobile or truck, an automatic is superior to a shick stiff in every way. Power (especially torque), economy.... Virtually every mechanical advantage is superior in the new auto transmissions. The newer Mustang GT with the auto is an 11 second car right out of the box. That's moving. The 6 speed stick can't touch it.

Truth is, however, a hydro is kind of a dinosaur. But don't under-estimate the power they can put on the ground. Just because the application is smoother doesn't mean you're losing a whole lot. You do lose some because, like I said, the hydro is like 1930's tech but still, they're good transmissions

/ Tires do not spin #79  
First of all, I am a fan of gear drive. However, there is no way I would do a pull test in high range with either transmission. That test proves nothing but it is a great example of what not to do.

At any rate, thanks for the update.
Agreed, that test was totally bogus. Why didn't he put both tractors in Low range, and Low 1 for the gear drive, and put both tractors on rough concrete and see which one pulled the most up to the point of wheel spin. Trying to pull with a hydro tractor in high range is just lunacy. And pulling with the gear tractor in high high is a great way to destroy a clutch in an afternoon.

/ Tires do not spin #80  
... A hydrostatic trans is not an Automatic. Maybe closer to a CVT. It doesn't have gears, it uses a pump(s) depending on how far you depress the pedal. From what I've read, it generates more pumping power the more you depress the pedal...

Quite the opposite and easily misunderstood. This myth keep folks from understanding HST when they don't recognize that pressing the pedal down farther is tantamount to shifting to a higher gear. When you get to that hill you let up on the pedal, like downshifting, to get up it or shift to a lower range.

If a guy wants to drive a HST tractor like a car he should buy one with a linked pedal feature. That or a guy could trade his 25hp non-tier up to a 40hp and not have to learn a thing. HST in a Mustang for apples to apples comparison? Depends on Diesel or not, 4WD or not, or if ET really matters as long as ya got enough top end. 😁

btw, my beef with the pulling test is that fluid drives don't always give good starting torque. Put a torque converter on the gear drive vs a clutch and see what happens in the same test whatever gear they're in. Put 'em on a sled if it's a competition. Anyway, 'matting' a HST pedal isn't necessarily how to get the most 'breakout' torque to the wheels.

Last edited: