trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools #251  
I'm clearing about a 1/4 mile trail on my north side of the property. I cleared a 3/4 mile trail on the back side two years ago. Since I can't fit my tractor with rotary cutter on the north side I drive my side by side with large pruning shears and two chain saws down the path I want to make. The hard part is getting a tree stump low enough with the chain saw without hitting dirt. I then cut a deep groove in the shape of a cross on the top of the stump to help deterioration over the years.

Can't remember the last time I used a pole saw.

Attachments

• TexasLand_boundary_tractor.jpg
    TexasLand_boundary_tractor.jpg
    613.9 KB · Views: 91
   / trail clearing technique and tools
I'm clearing about a 1/4 mile trail on my north side of the property. I cleared a 3/4 mile trail on the back side two years ago. Since I can't fit my tractor with rotary cutter on the north side I drive my side by side with large pruning shears and two chain saws down the path I want to make. The hard part is getting a tree stump low enough with the chain saw without hitting dirt. I then cut a deep groove in the shape of a cross on the top of the stump to help deterioration over the years. Can't remember the last time I used a pole saw.
Within the walking zone, we cut stumps near or at, dirt level. Trail clearing is tough on chains, that's the nature of the beast. We go into the field with extra chains and files.

I believe I used my ms261 saw once this summer. We are in the northern hardwood forest with a mix of boreal which is mostly south of us. I'd surmise our forest is different than Texas. :LOL:

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #253  
Well cleared some fence line today, went over the area with a skidsteer mower and a pull behind rough cutter earlier in the year and now just cleaning right against the wire and whatever didn't get mulched by the mowers.
20211031_162407.jpg20211031_162328.jpg20211031_162309.jpg20211031_162319.jpg

We are heading back out to clear more XC tail over the weekend in some fabulous fall weather. I'm also building a mini trail head kiosk if anyone cares. I'll post pics of it later. Its just 3x3ft made from 3/4 plywood and has a roof over it.

Bridge maintenance today and below is the bridge. General trail clearing pics to follow.
wallyboundry466.jpg

The same bridge seen today. And why do we use pole saws?
P1020471.jpg
P1020473.jpg

Last edited:
More clearing pics from Sunday. We are now "officially" done clearing it. :p
P1020458.jpg
P1020462.jpg

This "dog leg" tree is a common sight here. Does anyone know why this happens here so often?
P1020466.jpg

You can see the blue tape we put up to mark our way.
P1020469.jpg

Where the blue bar is poked in, is about where the kiosk will get planted. I'm still working on it.
P1020478.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #258  
This "dog leg" tree is a common sight here. Does anyone know why this happens here so often?

Does something (like a tree/branch/log) fall on the tree when it's small, pushing it over, and it curves back upright as it grows?

Does something (like a tree/branch/log) fall on the tree when it's small, pushing it over, and it curves back upright as it grows?
Well something does fall on trees here. :LOL: Its snow, and it breaks many shoots off. But some survive and grow with this dog leg in them.